Ghost prims?

Life Camino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if this is the best forum for this question, and if someone else knows where it belongs, feel free to move it.  But, I have this problem with strange "ghost prims" showing up in the bottom SW corner of my sim.  They cannot be seen, not even while revealing transparency, and they act phantom, but they can be selected.    And, you can see their shape and size, as well as other prim parameters.  But, if you return them, whole link sets from over 1000 meters away get returned.

These prims appear as single prims, but are somehow associated with other whole linksets elsewhere in the sim.  The only common factor seems to be that all of the prims are megaprims from the 10m max prim size era.  That is to say, these prims could be made by anyone, today, but not when they were created.  So, they vary in size, but always larger than 10m on at least one axis.

Restarting the region does not change anything.  This would not be a big deal, except that I use that bottom corner of the sim near <0,0,0> as a server room and for rent boxes and these stray prims get in the way of being able to select other objects in that room.

Anyone have any idea of what is going on here or how to correct it?  Thanks.

Objects that the server cannot position get dumped at <0,0,0>, which is not something you can configure, so your're stuck with either moving the nearby location, or solving the problem.

If you can right-click them and get an edit box open, I suggest looking to see if there is evidence that the ghost prim is part of a link set. Since linksets are being returned it suggests this. One option might be try editing linked items seperately and detaching it, then deleting it. But it sounds to me as if you need to be investigating the existing linksets to look at them in greater detail. After noting the names of the ghost prims, deleting them, and presumably re-rezzing the distant link set which had been deleted, is the ghost prim still a part of the set, or similar megaprims?

Have you, in spring-cleaning, repositioned any of these distant link sets that go when the ghost prims are deleted? I assume there has been a period when this wasn't happening, so there should be some identifiable trigger point where it does begin, and hopefully a clue there

Another way of investigating this is to write a script that you drop in the ghost prim to identify the root prim and position, but I have a feeling that since the ghost prim is well outside the maximum linkage range for SL this is going to fail.

Life Camino wrote:

But, if you return them, whole link sets from over 1000 meters away get returned.

This seems very strange, even for old-school megaprims, unless the linkset is actually all a bunch of megaprims linked together with all their origins near that 0,0,0 location. Although the linkage rules used to be extremely arcane, I don't think they ever permitted origins separated by a distance of over four sims.

(These aren't all part of one of those gawdawful lag-moster "sim surround" things, I hope! If so, delete them and celebrate the victory of being shut of them for good and for all!)

If you take a 2000m prim and use hollow and cut - there is only one corner left. The center of this thing is 1000m away though and you can link something to it of course.

This prims need to be unlinked and deleted. If they are essential for the build I would return them anyways. The owner should only rez sim spanning builds if they own that many sims. :D

Are you using a TPV with the derender/blacklist feature?

When you blacklist objects or parts of objects, they can have a stange kind of ghost presence at 0,0,0 on the region. You cannot see them but in certain circumstances, you can select them. I can imagine in this case, returning blacklisted ghost prims  would return the full linkset.

You will only "see" these ghost 0,0,0 objects if you blacklisted them yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.