FRIDAY QUESTION: Do participants with fewer than 10 posts think before they start threads?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Muletta wrote:

To be honest LlazarusLlong - I would much more prefer some posts about ghoti bearding, rather than these "be-perfect-in-this-forum-campaign-posts.

Then you are perfectly at liberty to go and participate in that fish breeding forum.

Close the door when you leave.

Don’t you know that you should never close a door completely in life, but always let it just a bit open?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm here still, sitting with a smile, and enjoying all the interesting posts and funny images that smart people have put into the thread, to show that not all of us applaud your principal manners, or support your sisifos-job as your personal claqueurs.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my earliest "programming" experiences was noodling with a random sentence generator on Dad's PDP-11. Few things made me laugh harder than that program, which may be reason to question my sense of humor and/or intelligence.

Years ago, some researchers produced Gender Guesser, an algorithm that estimates author gender from an example of their writing. I've fed it my own labors of love, and am constantly annoyed that it proclaims me male. It also finds output from Pakin's complaint generator to be male.

I am not enjoying the correlation.

Muletta wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Muletta wrote:

To be honest LlazarusLlong - I would much more prefer some posts about ghoti bearding, rather than these "be-perfect-in-this-forum-campaign-posts.

Then you are perfectly at liberty to go and participate in that fish breeding forum.

Close the door when you leave.

Don’t you know that you should never close a door completely in life, but always let it just a bit open?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm here still, sitting with a smile, and enjoying all the interesting posts and funny images that smart people have put into the thread, to show that not all of us applaud your principal manners, or support your sisifos-job as your
personal claqueurs

Ah, you're a self-professed masochist then.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Ah, you're a self-professed masochist then.

Aren't we all here in the forum, and in particular in this thread, a kind of masochists gradually?

Especially those few of you who voluntarily have put on the huge job to train the rest of us naughty and messy users of the forum, to behave in a way, so you can sleep safe and sound at night. :matte-motes-wink:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Muletta wrote:

Aren't we all here in the forum, and in particular in this thread, a kind of masochists gradually?

Not me.

I am a master sadist.

Which I would have thought obvious to even the dimmest bulb on the Christmas tree.

Okay then, but promise me to be careful and take care of yourself, not to get a heart attack, or to let your blood pressure rise too high, during practising your sadism in this forum.

I wouldn't like anything bad happen to you, as you often make me laugh and shake my head, and roll my eyes (yes, all head exercises should be very healthy, some people say)....

Muletta wrote:

Okay then, but promise me to be careful and take care of yourself, not to get a heart attack, or to let your blood pressure rise too high, during practising your sadism in this forum.

Don't worry about that sort of thing; my personal physician has informed me that apparently I don't suffer from stress, although I am a carrier of the disease

CleoSertorii wrote:

It seems as though anyone who participates in this forum, but doesnt do it in exactly the way you (or LL, or
Dres
, or...) approve of, then somehow they are stupid, or immature, or lazy, or unthinking, or "fill in the blank with some derogatory term". The fact that you people cant see it makes it even worse.

Awww, you thought of me... how sweet.  I didn't know you cared.

...Dres

I have been asked to explain what I mean by "ghoti".

It is how "fish" might be spelled by a clueless but too clever by half ESLer.

"gh" pronounced as in rough

"o" pronounced as in women

"ti" pronounced as in hyperemotional

Put them together and you get "fish".

Maybe you can work out for yourself what ghoech would mean.

(Hint: laughter does echo)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

It seems as though anyone who participates in this forum, but doesnt do it in exactly the way you (or LL, or
Dres
, or...) approve of, then somehow they are stupid, or immature, or lazy, or unthinking, or "fill in the blank with some derogatory term". The fact that you people cant see it makes it even worse.

...Dres

I can't imagine why she would think that you, Derek and I might be considered to be associated with each other.

And I am concerned that DejaHo might be upset to think that we were having a threesome without him making up the foursome.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

CleoSertorii wrote:

Dres

...Dres

I can't imagine why she would think that you, Derek and I might be considered to be associated with each other.

I can... this is the very same person that chastised me for my supposedly condescending tone when I informed her that I believed the behavior, directed at a certain group of roll players, in which she herself stated that she was engaged, was inappropriate.  Obviously, stating my opinion about the troubling aspects of her actions inworld make her feel as sad and guilty as does your and Derek's pointing out of the troubling aspects of her behavior here in the forums.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

And I am concerned that DejaHo might be upset to think that we were having a threesome without him making up the foursome.

Nonsense, I'm sure Deja would only be upset had I yelled "Four!"

...Dres *only yelled three*

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Nonsense,
I'm sure Deja would only be upset had I yelled "Four!"

Dres *only yelled three*

You yelled three before you swung . . .

Playing through. 

DejaHo wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Nonsense,
I'm sure Deja would only be upset had I yelled "Four!"

Dres *only yelled three*

You yelled three before you swung . . .

Playing through. 

I am not sure what he was yelling but he left me hangin last night after he said he was gonna go and get another drink and have a smoke.

Probably something like, "Get offa my lawn! I am tryin to putt here!"

I have reached the conclusion that LL is OCD. He wishes everything to meet his standard of correctness and if it doesn't, then it's wrong.

When I was in college for my education degree, we were taught and I still believe, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. I also received the same customer service training that the employees at the Disney parks receive. How many times do you think the person standing at Cinderella's castle gets asked where the bathrooms are, even though the signs are clearly marked. It may be the 5000th time the person was asked, but it's the first time for the person asking.

It's not about laziness to ask a question here. Some are just not proficient in doing searches and get frustrated. GENERAL Discussion seems the appropriate spot to ask GENERAL questions; especially under the people forum. Nothing says you you have to respond to them. If they offend your sensibilities, ignore them and move on...oh, wait, LL is OCD so he HAS to read and post a snarky reply. He CAN'T let it go.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I have reached the conclusion that LL is OCD. He wishes everything to meet his standard of correctness and if it doesn't, then it's wrong.

When I was in college for my education degree, we were taught and I still believe, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. I also received the same customer service training that the employees at the Disney parks receive. How many times do you think the person standing at Cinderella's castle gets asked where the bathrooms are, even though the signs are clearly marked. It may be the 5000th time the person was asked, but it's the first time for the person asking.

It's not about laziness to ask a question here. Some are just not proficient in doing searches and get frustrated. GENERAL Discussion seems the appropriate spot to ask GENERAL questions; especially under the people forum. Nothing says you you have to respond to them. If they offend your sensibilities, ignore them and move on...oh, wait, LL is OCD so he HAS to read and post a snarky reply. He CAN'T let it go.

An intriguing thought, if unprovable.

Actually,though, Maddie hit the nail on the head somewhere above: he isn't annoyed by the posts he critiques: they provide his entertainment. And more than that, his pretext.

Mr. Llong is by far and away the most talented and successful troll I've ever known. He is a Prince of his Kind.

And I speak from some experience, having been (successfully) trolled by him for nearly 7 years.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I wonder if you've refrained from identifying his alts because he'd raise the spectre of moderation. He's perfectly happy to do exactly that himself. In a recent recent post he said...

"You are confusing me with Laskya Claren/Scylla Rhiadra"

Never mind that the association is otherwise known to some, it's no different for his family. Laskya never raised the spectre of moderation over it.

He did, did he? 

Little **bleep**.

He's DEFINITELY off Scylla's Christmas card list!

(ETA: Oooh! The software here just auto-censored my reply! How long has it been doing THAT???? That's ADORABLE!!!!)

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I have reached the conclusion that LL is OCD.

That's CDO, please!

[alphabetical order is essential, except for LPs, which should be by date of release.]

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I also received the same customer service training that the employees at the Disney parks receive. How many times do you think the person standing at Cinderella's castle gets asked where the bathrooms are, even though the signs are clearly marked. It may be the 5000th time the person was asked, but it's the first time for the person asking.

So, on the same basis, would you ask a Killer Whale at SeaWorld what they'd like for lunch? Context is everything.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Nothing says you you have to respond to them.

Meh. Nothing says you shouldn't.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I wonder if you've refrained from identifying his alts because he'd raise the spectre of moderation. He's perfectly happy to do exactly that himself. In a recent recent post he said...

Never mind that the association is otherwise known to some, it's no different for his family. Laskya never raised the spectre of moderation over it.

He did, did he? 

Little **bleep**.

(ETA: Oooh! The software here just auto-censored my reply! How long has it been doing THAT???? That's ADORABLE!!!!)

Actually, I didn't make ANY association of identity, if you read carefully. I merely pointed out that the forum search revealed no incidences of my own usage of the archaic word "benighted" (as a previous post had suggested) but that there were several examples of its usage by Scylla/Laskya - in my orthography the slash signifies "or". What conclusions others might want to draw from that is not my problem.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

He did, did he? 

Little **bleep**.

Actually, I didn't make ANY association of identity, if you read carefully. I merely pointed out that the forum search revealed no incidences of my own usage of the archaic word "benighted" (as a previous post had suggested) but that there were several examples of its usage by Scylla and Laskya. What conclusions others might want to draw from that is not my problem.

Someone as OCD (or CDO) as yourself would certainly have used a proper conjunction such as "or" had that been what you meant. We . . . *cough* . . . I am unconvinced.

And Scylla asked me to tell you that you are still off her Christmas card list.

(Do I *really* use the word benighted? You realize that I have to actually look now, right?

ETA: I see that *I* have used benight, twice. (Eep!). But Scylla doesn't seem to have. Soooo . . .

ETA (again). Ok, so Scylla doesn't come up in search results for "benight" or "benighted," but a few other people do, including:

• Ayesha Askham (twice)

• lovee Foehammer

• Someone called Pserendipity Daniels

So, it's not clear to me why you should, um, "confuse" me with Scylla, instead of, say, Ayesha or, you know . . . "Pserendipity."

LaskyaClaren wrote:
 he isn't annoyed by the posts

What on earth would be the point of getting annoyed by something written anonymously on the internet?

[No, that's a rhetorical question; I would prefer potential responders not to humiliate themselves by explaining why THEY do.]

[And no, I don't intend asking that question in ANSWERS either.]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.