Using ASCII in display names

PseudoSelf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, i've seen people with the fancy display names & i've been trying to Dr. mine up too! I have the ASCII characters on note cards, copy & paste them in the "change dispaly name" option on my profile, confirm the action & it keeps giving a message that it can't be used because it contains invalid chatraters!

I even tried arranging the name 1st & copying to a new note card in finished form so it would be complete indstead of indivual characters at a time but it still didn't work.

I just tried again before asking here...copied a short line of garbled characters & it accepted it, so I had to reset it & can't change it for a week now!

Why won't it accept the ones I carefully put together?

I'm using Firestorm viewer...

What am I doing wrong?

10 answers to this question

Display names

Your display name is:

• A name you choose shown to other avatars in the Second Life virtual world.
  • A string of charactersup to 31 characters long  that contains at least one alphanumeric character. It can include most Unicode script characters, spaces, and some punctuation.
  • Distinct from the username you use to log in. 
  • Not necessarily unique; other avatars may have the same display name as you.

You can choose whether or not to show other Residents' display names and usernames inworld. If you choose to view display names or usernames, they appear in the name tags above every avatar and in chat.

Allowed characters

In addition to letters and numbers, you can use the following characters in your display name:

• ' (apostrophe)
  • - (hyphen-minus)
  • . (full stop)
  • : (colon)
  • · (middle dot)
  • ? ? (Armenian hyphen)
  • ? (Hebrew geresh)
  • ? (Hebrew gershayim)
  • ? (Tibetan tsheg)
  • - (hyphen)
  • (right single quotation mark)
  • ? (hyphenation point)
  • = (katakana-hiragana double hyphen)
  • · (katakana middle dot)

ETA: And you can change your display name once every seven days

UPDATE: Take a look at Alt-Codes to improve your understanding of unicode systems further.

---

You mean unicode. ASCII is a different, very limited characterset.

Some unicode characters aren't accepted. I can't give any advice other than to use acceptable characters - the unicode characterset contains thousands of possible choices and I've no idea which are valid and which aren't.

My baseless guess would be that mostly, only language subsets (simplified Chinese, Cyrillic, Latin, KanJi, etc) would be valid, since Display Names weren't implemented as decorative accessories. They're supposed to communicate your chosen name.

• Like 1

None of us are "staff", all of us are residents, like you. Valerie does an excellent job but as I said - it's not practical for anyone to repeatedly test combinations for you.

Some will work, some will fail. Eventually you'll find one that works. Second Life only uses a subset of the full unicode dictionary.

You could take the opportunity to learn more about Alt-Codes, as this is the old-school way of finding out which non-alphabetical characters are supported within SL and other unicode-supportive platforms. (I'll add this link to my top-level answer for convenience, also)

As a useful tidbit: the Swastika was originally a spiritual symbol - it's associated with Hinduism and older 'primitive' religions (Well, all religions are primitive but you know what I mean.). Its inclusion within the unicode standard has occaisionally been divisive but it's considered to have value in historical documents. 

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't expect anyone to test combinations for me at all! Apparently I just assumed it was ASCII not unicode, i'll just have to keep experimenting I guess but as I mentioned I copied a short line of nonsense & it accepted it & now I can't even try for a week :( & I now have no display name for a week!

Some people expect strange things - I didn't suggest you were but... I guess you can now see the limitation we face in trying to help people with Display Names (the time limit).

It's possible to "Revert" or "Reset" your chosen DisplayName if you've really made a mess (maybe you've found this option already), but you still won't get to retry for another seven days.

Best of luck, and you're welcome!

What you are doing wrong is trying to use those awful Unicode special fonts and characters in your name.

I absolutely HATE this practice.  You can't pronounce names like this, and unless you have the correct unicode set and take a lot of trouble to enter ALT+ keystrokes you can't write it in replies.  In some cases, you can't even READ the darn things.

Please...just don't.  Stick to the alphabet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.