how do I make someone my property or get married or be in a relationship officially in game

Chance4utonite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

"Officially?"  Officially, you send Amigo a "partner request" and pay a $L10 fee.  They will get an email with your offer.  When they go to the link in the email and accept your offer, you will appear in each other's Profiles as Partners.

There is no way to "officially" make someone your property.  To do that UNofficially, you give them a slave collar.  They wear it, and designate you as their owner.  As long as they are wearing the collar, you have some control over them.  If you both use a third party viewer that supports RLV functionality, you can get an increased level of control.

EDIT:  Maddy has petitioned us to add advice for a "successful" relationship.  I consider mine to be successful, but I also had a previous one where my partner ran off with an aviatrix in the Royal Caledonian Air Force.  Fortunately, it was BEFORE the wedding.  So, I guess maybe I'm not the one to hold up as a Shining Example, either.

The fact is, love blooms quickly in SL...and it often dies almost as quickly.  It's been said that a relationship that lasts for six months here is the equivalent of five years of marriage in Real Life.

The only advice I can give that seems worthwhile to me is, GO SLOW.  Wait.  Stay friends, stay lovers, for a long time before becoming partners.  What seems like the love of your life this week can become the Marriage from Heck next month.  Keep the nest of spiders handy.

• Like 3

The only "official" relationship in Second Life is partnership. You know it's official because it costs a fortune (L$25) to disolve it. But you're already partnered to Amigo, so you know how to do that. Now, if you want to take the relationship to some higher plateau (which I'd do just before pushing them off of it), you simply need to use your collective imagination.

Many years ago, I had a partner who wanted a mark of ownership. We were already wearing identical tattoos that I'd designed...

High Five.jpg

But she wanted a brand. You can't just go searing someone's hide without practicing first, so I tried my hand on coconuts.

I set the first one on fire, which alarmed her. All that remained was ashes. The second attempt produced a charred coconut and the third produced one with a very black "M" on it. By the sixth coconut I was getting consistently good results. I parked the seventh on her derriere, after which she ran off with a hottie from the seedy side of SL. So, I don't recommend branding as a way to seal a relationship.

I got married in RL once too. That didn't last either. I didn't try branding my husband, but I did call his private part "Mr. Wiggly". That may have been a factor. So, there's another thing I don't recommend you try.

I've got more recommendations for what not to do, but I think you'd be better served by someone who's actually had some success in the partnership department.

Amethyst? Ariel? Freya? KarenMichelle? Lindal? Ohjiro? Rolig? Sven? Val? Anyone?

• Like 4

Madeline McMasters wrote:

[ .... ]

Amethyst? Ariel? Freya? KarenMichelle? Lindal? Ohjiro? Rolig? Sven? Val? Anyone?

Me?  Not on your life. I have never partnered or wanted to.  And if anyone tries to make me his "property", I know a nice spot with a nest of ugly spiders I can toss him into.

• Like 3

This gets my vote as Answer of the Week!

Yes, I've been (and am) partnered. I would say it's been six years to the same person, but the two of us were two-thirds of a three way partnership for four of those years...so, depending on how you look at it, it's been either very successful or only semi-successful! Mostly it/they have been happy relationships, so I vote for "successful."

OMG - I love this response! :heart: - OK...ok.....[snorts loudly]......OK, ok, ok./..........first things first!

Ditto: This gets my vote as Answer of the Week!

I too have been "partnered" 2 times in SL. One of those was replete with a pull-out-all-the-plugs wedding. In total I've been partnered 4+ of my 7 years in-world.

Sharing with a "trusted" friend or lover or partner is easy. This is what the Land Groups and Edit My Objects features allow. They allow you to extend your trust to that special someone. Make sure you know them well.

Note: I'm guessing that the language used in the OP's question is more of an artifact of a translator rather than a possessive POV.

Try singing Evening Prayer from Hansel & Gretel, or reading some poetry or standing on your head and munching paper bags. I don't claim any personal success using these methods but I did read about it in Wikipedia. Like branding coconuts it takes practice.

If the above doesn't work could you clarify your question as I have no idea what you are asking.

• Like 2

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

:o Don't ever talk partnership to me! The first one I had lasted 4 years and it was awesome until RL cancer took him away...

So later on, in despair with loneliness, I partnered a gross redneck who couldn't even spell English half as good as I do and would eventually think it was appropriate to send me horrible pics of his "Mr. Wiggly" as Maddy calls it. :P

His one and only quality was to be a good blues DJ. But of course, it's not enough to make a relationship! :D

Ahaha, okay. FIRST THINGS FIRST.

Maddy's right about partnering of course, if you want your Second Life profile to show off your relationship (this is all Partnering does) you can follow this link. It'll ask for their username (in the format firstname.lastname - my username is therefore freya.mokusei). You also get the opportunity to add some custom text as a proposal.

To accept this offer, your partner-to-be should follow the same link to their Partner settings, and they'll see the pending offer. Accepting is easy, but it has to be them who completes this step. Each avatar can only have one partner at a time, and "divorce" or partner-separation costs the separating partner L$25 regardless of who initiated the partnership.

That covers partnering!

Ownership - which is a sliiightly less provocative way of saying you'd like to "take someone as your property" - is achieved only with scripted products, such as (as Lindal says) a collar. The most common collar system is OpenCollar, it allows a lot of consensual control over certain features of Second Life by using a sub-system specially designed by a clever lady called Marine Kelley. You should take the time to learn more about RLV using resources like this one. It's a very complicated system and you can get you or the ones you own into a whole bundle of trouble if you're not careful.

Long story short though, your partner can add you as their "owner" in OpenCollar by typing the command "/1 <prefix>addowner <your name>" where:-

•  <prefix> is the "sub prefix", initially generated from the first letter of their first name, and the first letter of their surname ('resident' cou/nts as a surname for this) - my sub prefix is "fm".
  • <your name> is - unpredictably - your legacy name (not your username, your Legacy Name is Chance4utonite Resident).

The important bit is that while the processes for these activities are easy, you can entirely improvise with regards to any ceremony, party or celebration. I've had DJ shows, live bands, surgical operations and sim crashes all to celebrate the co-mingling of people. You are free to change your display names (or not), free to enjoy open or multiple/stacked relationship models (or not) or absolutely anything else you might want to do in pursuit of love and happiness.

I consider my relationships successful because statistically, most participants have survived and no-one's ever gotten their brains wiped Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind style. People here are correct that love can often be fleeting, but my perspective is to enjoy it while you've got it. Nothing lasts forever! I've also had many (manymany) successful collarings and they're usually a good bundle of fun - I've been "property" pretty consistantly since 2008. :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.