Counteracting an overlay?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok, so take a look at the badge icons on the side of my post.... big grey blocky overlays....

other than manually pixel hacking a result that will counteract the overlay, is there a series of layer transforms that I can apply to cancel that out? I have the exact values from the overlay, and I do realize that I won't be able to entirely wipe it out due to dynamic range (at least not for original values near 0 or 255 on the rgb scale)

so... anyone?

To get rid of the grey blocky overlays, you can just reset your badge to the default theme according to the directions in this thread (my post 97 there gives detail).  You can see the results by looking at my badge.  I had the Tokyo Madness theme and the shadowed effect on my badge background and got rid of it by the means I describe, as first outlined by Qie Niangao in the same thread.

Even though you can simply turn the overlays off via the forum settings, the question is still a good one, from an image editing perspective.  The answer is that a a second overlay with exactly the opposite grayscale value will cancel out the first (assuming the overlay method and opacity are the same for both).

In the following image, the two circles are overlays, each set to linear light mode.  The dark one has a grayscale value of 60%, and the light one 40%.  Since 50% is neutral for an overlay, 60 and 40 are exact opposites.

As you can see, the area where they overlap yields exactly the same color as the non-overlayed background.

countered_overlay.png

• Like 1

oh I can already reset they badge type (it was my instructions you clarified in that thread =D)

... but I don't want the white block either... I want to selectively conteract the overlays (spcifically I'm going to use the information to make some templates that others can D/L and use for the tokyo and bayfog themes (though there's no help for the blue bars in bayfog, as they are solid)

the overlay color for both is #545454 with 50% opacity (feathered to 0% at the right edge for tokyo)

I know how to duplicate the overlay as a mask, but I don't know what trinsforms to use to undo what's been done... namely the compresion of the color range to an arbitrary value... what I want to do is expand the color range so it mostly wipes out the overlay effect in the masked areas

ETA:
@Chosen:
running off to give that a try now....

@Cerise:
I know... I'm aim to fade it the top of the minimal first block to avoid most of that issue >=)

Chosen Few wrote:

Even though you can simply turn the overlays off via the forum settings, the question is still a good one, from an image editing perspective.  The answer is that a a second overlay with exactly the opposite grayscale value will cancel out the first (assuming the overlay method and opacity are the same for both).

ah bugger, I let my layman's terminology get the better of me.... it's not an overlay in the layer mode sense, but in the physical sense.... it's just a partially transparent layer... so the opposing median color only serves to wash out the image even more in normal mode, it helps a little in overlay mode, and is about halfway there with burn (all using the opposing median color)

ooooo ad a layer to rest of the image instead of trying to repair the section that's had a layer added? that's the kind of evil enough backhanded thinking that makes me proud to be a programmer =D, I may try that in the interim to see how it looks =)

ETA:
not as well as I had hoped.... mathematically I know the transform that is occuring... it's a RGB to target of 50%.... or [originalValue - (originalValue - nextLayerValue) * nextLayerOpacity] *I think*, and I'm trying to figure out how to to the reverse operation... color AWAY from target [originalValue + (originalValue - nextLayerValue) * nextLayerOpacity]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.