I was just scammed out of 40k in linden, any suggestions to help

Tinky Deluxe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently bought land from someone i know others have bought from as well with no issue.  He did ask me to pay him directly not through a box, and I did.  After he tells me to wait he is giving me land rights then he goes offline 24hrs later I see him and asks he ignores my messages.  I had a friend message him and he tells them he never go the money.  She showed him my transaction history and he stops responding to her.  Im so upset any suggestions

6 answers to this question

It is "possible" for him to have not known that he got the money, especially if he genuinely crashed at the exact same time & I wouldn`t say it is impossible for a transaction to have gone astray & not show on his account, though highly unlikely that it wouldn`t soon get corrected. The fact that he suddenly starts to ignore you and didn`t just come back saying the usual "sorry I crashed" or to be at all concerned about 40K going missing, would imply that it is not a case of missing transaction.

If you are a basic member a ticket may take a while to get actioned, you might want to consider spending $12 for a month of premium membership and getting straight on to LiveChat to at least confirm that he got the money & then submit a ticket if they think it will do any good. It depends if you want to spend another $12 chasing the $150 you may have already lost.

You're probably out of luck (and L$40K).  LL only serves as a middleman in monetary transactions between residents.  Transaction histories will show that you gave him money and that he received it, but unless there was also an inventory transfer, the histories won't show why you gave him L$40K. Unfortunately, LL won't usually get in the middle of a dispute like this.  Submit an AR and file a support ticket, but don't expect miracles.

Linden accepts inworld abuse report tickets on the viewer, i.e. you have to pull down Abuse Report from the menu inworld on the viewer panel. There is "$L fraud" as one of the actions, but usually that does *not* refer to rip-offs, it refers to people attempting to launder money through your account.

Using the online ticket support system for that will only result in the moderators bucking it back to you and telling you to file an abuse report inworld.

Usually the Lindens do not intervene in these kinds of commercial disputes. So you are left to Twitter, blogs, inworld groups, etc. to warn other people of this fraudster.

I would make copies of all the data, transaction history, chat logs, ect. Create an accurate record of the events. Stick with the facts, avoid any personal attacks.

The Second Life Policy is not etched in stone. Linden Research is privately owned, the founders and boardmembers could make you CEO tomorrow if they wanted to.

All Residents and the Linden's are stewarts of this Virtual World. Our principles and actions are not soley based upon money but creating and managing revenue has been a vital guideline in enabling SL to continue.

The distinction between domestic disputes and those which are Business related can often be difficultt to distinquish in a virtual word which so readily allows for enterprise.

I recommend that you be patient will all parties involved. Justice always takes time. It is my belief that if you decide to pursue this matter through the Support process, it will be thoroughly investigated.        

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.