Sign in to follow this  
Irene Muni

KB: some links open in the same window, is it a good idea?

In the Knowledge Base articles, some links (I cannot know if ALL the links hehehe) open "in this window". In fact, "in this window" is the option by default in the Editor. I think it's more comfortable that the links open "in a new window". Perhaps the default option can be changed to "in a new window".

Agreed. I've gotten in the habit of setting the options to "Open in new window (_blank)" on any links I include. I also set the "Title" field to the text "Opens in a New Window" so people know it will do that.

oh they do? i never noticed. i prefer having control over where the links i click open, so whenever i have a page with links to multiple sub articles (as the kb) and i am going to read more than one i always open them in background tabs. so for me it doesn't really make any difference.

open in "new window". isn't that a little old when we have browsers with tabs now? even internet exploder has tabs now? right? :D

but if any default behaviour is to be set i would vote for "open in background tab" or even "new tab".

Generally speaking, making links open a new window/tab is considered poor design.  For example, see Top 10 New Mistakes in Web Design (#2).  As bee Baroque noted, it's easy enough for the reader to make the link open a new tab/window if that's what they want.  

There are a number of reasons to keep links in the same tab/window.  For more thoughts on the subject, see:

Ultimately, it comes down to letting the reader make that choice rather than to force it on them.  So my preference would be to keep links in the same window.  

Thanks,

Rand