Does your avatar (or others avis) make you feel like changing RL looks?

Poenald Palen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I keep pondering this. The clothes are so unrealistically tight (for some styles, but obviously not all. We must all see people who look like their clothes where painted on them now and then LOL) that they sort of are like.Ell.."In SSL this is fun to see, but man that would look wierd in RL that tight!" and others simply look almost like muscular people with tailored clothes...sort of.

So I mean, the next question is....do you feel like all you need to do is work out and build some muscle and start gettinig tailored clothes  or maybe there is no hope to look like some of the avis that are sort of more normal than doll looking? 'Normal' does not mean anything specific about style, I mean about the way the whole stuff looks and not even to much realism is needed to aid your imagination in how the clothes would fit etc.

I know my bone structure etc. Is  not there, but still....I wonder if people really are shooting to make their av look like a muscular or toned person with fitted clothing and might actually do this look in real life, or at least dream or wish to in the future!

Do you think it could inspire people to work out? It doesn't seem to remind me though, I am not a huge looks improver (sort of no hope LOL) and do try to walk around and such for the health benifit of it all. Tailored clothes? I don't shy away from all DIY and we must know at least one person in our town who knows how to alter clothes, right? So....

Does your avatar (or others avis) make you feel like improving your own personal looks, buying fashions, working out, or getting altered/tailored clothing? If you simply don't want to put a person answer in here, any thought are welcome so you can keep your own personal life out of this LOL. 

Please excuse retarded spelling errors, the spell checker has only grey buttons....zero text...yes, I got mixed up and don't care so much as this is understandable enough I think lol.

Occasionally, when I've been feeling a little down on myself I've looked at Jaz with her pert boobs, tight butt, flat stomach, beautiful make-up and thought..'right, gonna go to the gym, throw out my beloved pjs and go buy some sexy gear' and then reality kicks in, the washing machine's flooded the kitchen floor, the kitten's stuck up a huge tree lol

I can't deny that my avi is, my idea of what I would have liked to look like, even just the black hair. All my family have black hair and blue eyes, but I ended up with the dirty dull brown colour, and can't even dye it rl cos my skin colouring just wouldn't suit such a dark colour, and having freckles doesnt help lol. And although I look and quite often lust over the gorgeous ladies in sl, I know my limitations. Even if I was half the age I am now I don't think various body parts of mine have ever sat quite where god intended them to be, and now..well lets just say without extensive surgery and industrial strength scaffolding, I have what I have, and honestly, quite like it.

Great, original OP.  I do not resemble Venus, really, but some of her clothing choices reflect my taste in RL.  She will also wear some things I would not have the guts to wear.  Through her, I can express my 'self' in ways that avoid embarassing my RL familly.  /me grins

However, her 'personality' is all mine. 

Poenald Palen wrote:

Does your avatar
(or others avis)
make you feel like improving your own personal looks, buying fashions, working out, or getting altered/tailored clothing? If you simply don't want to put a person answer in here, any thought are welcome so you can keep your own personal life out of this LOL. 

I'm better looking in RL than any cartoon so no I won't be changing my looks any time soon. :smileytongue:

It would be nice to change into a white skin though without being dead. :smileysurprised:

Snapshot_004sm.PNG

Poenald Palen wrote:

I keep pondering this. The clothes are so unrealistically tight (for some styles, but obviously not all. We must all see people who look like their clothes where painted on them now and then LOL) that they sort of are like.Ell.."In SSL this is fun to see, but man that would look wierd in RL that tight!" and others simply look almost like muscular people with tailored clothes...sort of.

So I mean, the next question is....do you feel like all you need to do is work out and build some muscle and start gettinig tailored clothes  or maybe there is no hope to look like some of the avis that are sort of more normal than doll looking? 'Normal' does not mean anything specific about style, I mean about the way the whole stuff looks and not even to much realism is needed to aid your imagination in how the clothes would fit etc.

I know my bone structure etc. Is  not there, but still....I wonder if people really are shooting to make their av look like a muscular or toned person with fitted clothing and might actually do this look in real life, or at least dream or wish to in the future!

Do you think it could inspire people to work out? It doesn't seem to remind me though, I am not a huge looks improver (sort of no hope LOL) and do try to walk around and such for the health benifit of it all. Tailored clothes? I don't shy away from all DIY and we must know at least one person in our town who knows how to alter clothes, right? So....

Does your avatar
(or others avis)
make you feel like improving your own personal looks, buying fashions, working out, or getting altered/tailored clothing? If you simply don't want to put a person answer in here, any thought are welcome so you can keep your own personal life out of this LOL. 

Please excuse retarded spelling errors, the spell checker has only grey buttons....zero text...yes, I got mixed up and don't care so much as this is understandable enough I think lol.

my avatar and me have the same taste about 'fashion' and 'lifestyle' ..... I tend to look more in real life for 'fashion' I am wearing in sl. The funny thing about second life is that u can simulate your style or ideas on your avatar first, prior than going to a real life shop, at least I have already some ideas of how I want to look and what I need to buy.

*meows*

I have in my closet some killer Victorian style ankle boots because of SL!

I never thought of them as my style because as an old country girl when I wore boots they were the typical roper style cowgirl boots.  After seeing so many very nice ankle boots in SL, I had to get some for my meat space avatar. :smileyvery-happy: 

[ETA]

They are in my closet if my daughter has not stole them from me again :P

I rediscovered a long forgotten liking for boho style skirts after Id found one I like in SL so perhaps!

More commonly I try to find items in SL that I love in RL and can never do so - been looking for a Pucci print wraparound dress in SL for years to match my fave in RL and never found one, oh and hair that matches my RL colour.

A/Z

Poenald Palen wrote:

Does your avatar
(or others avis)

Yes and no.

Yes, I have increased appearances in summer dresses with matching hats and shoes that look like they are coordinated on purpose Southern Belle-style, as well as wearing ankle boots a lot more, so that's good right?

On the other hand, attaching a large clear balloon to my butt hasn't worked out because it doesn't actually disappear, gets me laughed at ceaselessly and doesn't increase the number of dances I know how to do AT ALL. That part is not as good...

• 3 weeks later...

Although some aspects of my SL avatar is based on me, most of it is all fictional graphics.

I choose clothes and stuff based on what looks good on her and not what looks good on me.

I am comfortable with myself in RL (my avatar turns heads often, so do I in RL), what my avatar does and what she wears does not affect me personally.

It's a fantasy roleplaying game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! We are two students who are interested in researching on what grounds people on Second Life choose their avatars. We would very much appreciate if anyone would be willing to answer us some questions for our project! We would like to talk to you in Second Life or on Skype? Please reply to this message if you would like to help us!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.