how can I find friends ?

Princessa177

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm new in SL and I really want to find friends to talk to and hangout with to enrich my experience in SL. I'm shy and I feel lonely since I can't seem to be able to find people to talk to and I just wander from place to place alone . I've heard great things about sl and I would like to find nice people to hang out with

5 answers to this question

You find friends in SL the same way that you do in RL.  Walk up and say Hi.  That's hard for a shy person to do,  but SL gives you some advantages. 

First, everyone always has a floating nametag over her head, so you don;t have to worry about remembering a person's name. 

Second, everyone has a public personal profile that includes basic information plus whatever the person chooses to share about herself.  You can always look at another person's profile before introducing yourself, and another person can do the same with you.  It's a safe, friendly way to learn who's around you without appearing nosey. Fill out your own profile so that another shy person can learn who you are.

Third, the search function in your viewer can be used to find places, groups, and events where people with interests like yours are likely to hang out. 

Fourth, it's very easy to leave uncomfortable situations in SL.  If you don't like where you are or the people you are with, teleport away.  Set a "home" location on your own land or on land owned by a group you are in, and use that as a safe location to escape to with the click of a mouse button.  Also, never underestimate the power of the "accidental" crash.  You can log out any time you want.

• Like 3

I always recommend Caledon Oxbridge University as a place for newcomers to go to meet people and make friends...plus, of course, it is a great place to learn about Second Life!

The Shelter is also a popular spot for newcomers.

If you don't like either the people or the surroundings at those places, use Search to look for places and people more in line with your own interests.  Searching Groups will find like-minded people, searching Places will find spots that appeal to you.

A lot of really beautiful but non-commercial places aren't easy to find in Search.  Hunt down some Second Life bloggers who report on places that interest you, then visit those places.  One of my favorites for news about SL is Inara Pey's blog, "Living in A Modem World."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.