How to make things clear to a noob ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A friend of mine is 8 months in SL and stll knows so little about SL. She does not know how to look around, has no idea how to manage her inventory, makes a mess of her outfits and has no idea about all the options in the viewer etc etc.

I have tried to help her but it seems to be a mission impossible...we are getting both frustrated.
She never seems to understand me when I try to help and the mess is just getting bigger.

Are there any tutorials for noobs I wonder. Tutorials where step by step the basic things of SL will be explained in a very simple and clear way ?

There are lots of tutorials on the web. Just search Google.

In-world, there are places with help and advice. Orientation Stations can be found here and there (or used to be). One is located at the castle in Dore. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dore/30/100/26. It is for people who need to learn and practice the basics again. Or, you can take her to the public help islands, or orientation island public. She needs to practice on the basics. Once she has those, the rest comes much more easily.

Actually, there are two factors at work here: the time of the question and the abilities in place already.

If there in NO need yet to unpack a purchase, dont go there...if someone bought something and seems to "wear" a box (happened to me too often at first) ... THEN it's a nice moment to teach the unpacking.

Abilities, a different ball o' yarn. If the concept of drag-n-drop id foreign, try to explain draggin on to a rezzer and unpacking...mission NEARLY umpossible...

Paience and friendship, the only two tubes of "soopagloo" you'll ever need...

Besides, a lot of people learn by doing...and THEN asking a question (timing, again) when they hit a bump :)

SL is overwhelming to say the least...that alone could "plug the plumbing" so to speak ;)

Melissa

xxx

Yes indeed it does take time.  Break what you know into small chunks and teach her that.  If she still doesn't get it break it into smaller chunks.  Give her a day or two between learning major stuff to absorb it before hitting her with more stuff.  Maybe give her practice homework to do during the breaks to reinforce what she learned.

Realize that people learn SL at their own pace and to their own capacity.  Some are quick learners and within 6 months they are building and scripting and acting like an oldbie.  Other's still struggle after a year and only ever learn up to the point where they can dress themselves, manage a home or land and know how to TP to various entertainments.  Then there are those that just never get it at all and end up leaving out of frustration.

Helping haven people all seem to have the patience of saints and are well equipped to help people striggling. Also Caledon university has helpers around everytime I have passed through and have displays guiding people through the basics. Similar to those at the orientation I started out at when I first joined.

If she spend those 8 months in SL (not just having the account and then never touching it again), then she will never learn it. You better don't waste your time on her, she is either too dumb (sorry to put it that harsh, but lets face it, SL is a bit tricky but not that tricky) or she isn't willing to put any effort and concentration  on her side into learning how things work.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

CHOOSE
your friends more carefully - not from the 90%+ of players who don't have a clue..

***Or petition LL to institute a minimum IQ test for new registrations***

If that was implemented from the start then SL's population would decrease by about 50% at least, which is a good thing. I'd rather have a smaller population of competent players who won't single-handedly destroy a city's aesthetics rating with their fuglines, than a crowd of retards who still look like noob linden after 3 years in SL.

Hey now, it took me a good two years before I was wholly acclimated to Second Life and understood everything and I was on every day. SL has a very steep learning curve, especially when you enter expecting it to be like a video game and quickly find your inventory isn't auto sorted, the system doesn't hold your hand, and there's more effort than a few button clicks involved. It's a whole lot of freedom and information for a newbie to digest, at 8 months in I didn't even know you could make your own AOs or how scripts worked.

It takes a whole lotta patience to teach a new player, Caledon Oxbridge has many excellent classes and staff on hand to answer what may seem like silly questions to us oldbies and politely guide the inexperienced in understanding how SL works one step at a time.

Well, it did not work out. Every time when I try to explain her something things go wrong, She does not read carefully what I IM her, pushes the wrong buttons, cant find an object in her inv etc etc.

We had a fight this evening and I think this was it. Maybe I am not good in explaining and teaching.

Anyway I give up. It makes me sad and it is soooo frustrating   :womanfrustrated:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.