2.5 frequent crashing - anyone else having this problem?

Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For me, Viewer 2 has been pretty stable up to and including 2.4.  I hardly ever had any crashes.  But Viewer 2.5 is crashing all the time - usually after teleporting somewhere - within a minute or so.  It's almost like being in SL in 2006 when it kept crashing.

Conifer Dada wrote:

For me, Viewer 2 has been pretty stable up to and including 2.4.  I hardly ever had any crashes.  But Viewer 2.5 is crashing all the time - usually after teleporting somewhere - within a minute or so.  It's almost like being in SL in 2006 when it kept crashing.

I can confirm this.
I never had crash problems on viewer 2 until now.
After the latest update: 2.5.1.222408, I had quite a few

My crashes on viewer 2.5 seem to follow the same pattern.  I teleport to a location.  As everything is rezzing, the screen freezes and the sound stream goes silent for a few seconds.  Then movement and sound return for a second or two, followed by sudden crash and viewer disappears.  

When I try to re-log, the first attempt always fails '(region has begun the log-out process' message) but the second attempt works.

I don't remember Viewer 2.4 crashing at all - well, maybe once or twice, but I not that I can recall.

I can't even use V2 anymore. When I first downloaded 2.5, it loaded really slow (about a minute and a half to load). Now it will open, but then crash right away. I'm pretty sure it's because I have a large inventory (about 17,500 items). My alts all open up just fine on V2, but not my main account.

I've had to switch my main account to Phoenix, and it opens up just fine and loads my inventory right up. I DO miss some V2 features (like being able to wear multiple clothing layers) but Phoenix's functionality surpasses V2 for me. 

Conifer Dada wrote:

My crashes on viewer 2.5 seem to follow the same pattern.  I teleport to a location.  As everything is rezzing, the screen freezes and the sound stream goes silent for a few seconds.  Then movement and sound return for a second or two, followed by sudden crash and viewer disappears. 

That's exactly the same symptoms I've had on Mac, except that the program hangs at the end and requires a force-quit. Your's just saves you some time and quits for you. I thought it was a Mac-only problem but apparently it's more widespread than that.

Because it always happens a few seconds after a TP, I also assumed it was some kind of server update. Only some sims cause it.

I can confirm this as well, but the problem fixes seem so inconsistent. I loved the stability of V2, but this new release is frustrating.

Sometimes I can get logged in by starting in a new location, but sometimes I cannot. My home sim is problematic, and I have to log in elsewhere. Now, what's the point of that?

Sometimes, after the third or fourth try, I just have to wait, wait, wait and then try the Viewer again, and it works. This, coupled with the ultra-long time it takes to just log in, makes for a negative experience.

I deleted the previous release. Is there a way to get it back? Thanks.

Yep.  After installing 2.5 i found i couldn't stay logged in with my main avie for above 5 seconds.  Strangely, my alts were fine!

I followed a tip given on the forum (i forget who it was; sorry)  which advised to delete one's entire 'second life' folder from roaming profile, and then reboot computer.  Apparently there is a known bug and this fixes it.

Now i log in and stay logged in, aside from the occasional glitch.  Problem fixed!

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Yep.  After installing 2.5 i found i couldn't stay logged in with my main avie for above 5 seconds.  Strangely, my alts were fine!

That may be a slightly different problem. The one I have only occurs after a TP, and only some of the time. If I stay in one place I can remain logged in forever and everything works fine. Since it only happens after a TP, I was thinking it might be related to incompatibilities between an updated server version and the viewer. I'm just guessing though.

Yes. As soon as I finish loading SL crashes saying something must be wrong with the SIM, this is my studio and home but now there is a problem every time I log in. The recent update is very very very buggy and half as fast as previous versions. Something is seriously wrong and needs to be addressed ASAP before I say goodbye to SL for the very last time.

Thanks for all the replies.  I see I'm not the only one with these difficulties.  

I wasn't one of those who condemned Viewer 2,  one of its great advanatages was that it rarely crashed, which was an advance on what we had before.  But all that is lost now on 2.5, which takes me back to how SL used to behave on our old computer in 2006 when I joined.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have this problem!

Today after few years leaving second life, I downloaded the viewer 2.5 and it crashes after 5-30 sec. I did all what people said here like using the beta version or uninstalling and deleting folder in the roaming profile but it's not working.

Maybe becoz I have "nvidia quadro fx 580" ?

Please help !

• 3 weeks later...

It was stable fo rme until the  update, now i crash on bussy sims, more as  30  people on  and it kick me off , how more been added  ( profile pics) how more probs,  i never had crash problems before , i started to get used to sl2 , and would be pleased if they fixet some bugs like th einventory  jump, but now i get a extra bug  again, crashin, crashing and crashing,

• 2 months later...

I am having the same exact problem! I also cannot see people's names nor IM them. I've been stuck on one island for almost a  week and nothing has changed. I've lowered my bandwidth, cleared my cache, uninstalled my viewer then reinstalled it. I cannot configure my firewall settings on my MacBook Pro. I'm completely lost as to what I should do, so if you find out something that I don't know, please let me know :)

• 4 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.