Forum Login

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is tricky enough using the forum on a mobile phone without being redirected to the blogs page everytime you login. The links to get back to the forum are at the bottom of the page and to an awkward view of the forum. Please revert the way the login wotks to how it was.

I just use the tabs on the top of the page, to go from the default BLOG to the Forum on my phone, so I am not sure why you should go to the bottom for it?

From a communications point of view I completely understand they are letting you log in, by force, into the blog section first, as this is where news and updates are published and so - hopefully...- people will read those first before they e.g. start threads on why they cannot login..:P.

Anyway, this is how it looks for me on my phone, I can quite easy switch from the blog to the forum.

phone.png

I agree that this is annoying. I typically only log in when I am about to reply or edit something I've posted. Getting redirected is not helpful.

The solution I use is to just hit Back twice once I get to the Blogs mainpage. Logged in status should be unchanged for you, as it is for me.

Reckoning this is caused by a change in behaviour for return_to Querystring - it's setting to some bizarre page I've never heard of (and Lithium just reverts to root, which is blogs.secondlife.com).

Bizarre page is: https://support.secondlife.com/openid_rp/handle-auth-id/ and returns error code 404. If this is the same for you then you will experience this same behaviour.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

I just use the tabs on the top of the page, to go from the default BLOG to the Forum on my phone, so I am not sure why you should go to the bottom for it?

From a communications point of view I completely understand they are letting you log in, by force, into the blog section first, as this is where news and updates are published and so - hopefully...- people will read those first before they e.g. start threads on why they cannot login..
:P

Anyway, this is how it looks for me on my phone, I can quite easy switch from the blog to the forum.

phone.png

Your battery is running out Caity! You need to recharge it quickly . . .

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

From a communications point of view I completely understand they are letting you log in, by force, into the blog section first, as this is where news and updates are published and so - hopefully...- people will read those first before they e.g. start threads on why they cannot login..
:P

Your battery is running out Caity! You need to recharge it quickly . . .

Haha, you know how it goes with iPhones....

Just charged it to full and let's see how long it la

What browser do you use? They aren't displayed on Opera. And because Opera mini actually caches pages going back doesn't help. I have to go to the bottom of the page. Remember not to pick forum threads because that goes to questions and answers and pick forum posts and then swap the tab from all to the normal view, by which time I have forgotten what I was going to respond to or where it is.

Aethelwine wrote:

What browser do you use? They aren't displayed on Opera. And because Opera actually caches pages going back doesn't help. I have to go to the bottom of the page. Remember not to pick forum threads because that goes to questions and answers and pick forum posts and then swap the tab from all to the normal view, by which time I have forgotten what I was going to respond to or where it is.

On my iPhone (the one I took the screenshot with) and iPad I use Safari and I can easily navigate with the top-tabs.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I agree that this is annoying. I typically only log in when I am about to reply or edit something I've posted. Getting redirected is not helpful.

The solution I use is to just hit
Back
twice once I get to the Blogs mainpage. Logged in status should be unchanged for you, as it is for me.

Reckoning this is caused by a change in behaviour for
return_to
Querystring - it's setting to some bizarre page I've never heard of (and Lithium just reverts to root, which is blogs.secondlife.com).

Bizarre page is:
and returns error code 404. If this is the same for you then you will experience this same behaviour.

I get error code 404 on my desktop as well as my phone and both login to the blogs page.

Who has changed the behaviour of the return_to Querystring ? and why?

Aethelwine wrote:

I get error code 404 on my desktop as well as my phone and both login to the blogs page.

Who has changed the behaviour of the
return_to
Querystring ? and why?

Sorry for any rush in explaining - anyone whose referrer Querystring (when clicking 'Log In') includes "community.secondlife.com" will be replaced with the faulty return_to. This typically means copy-paste error in the lookup table for conversion, though depends on how the LL web team are accomplishing this. It's likely that the auth system recognises the mistake and dumps back to the root - the 'Blogs' page - rather than allowing you to be redirected off-site.

All browsers will return an atypical 404 page when checking the link I pasted, 'cause nothing's there yet - but I meant to say that if you click Log In from marketplace.secondlife.com or other sub-domains, you'll be returned to the correct location. Community pages are where it fails.

The idea should be that after you login successfully, you're returned to the same page you were previously browsing before clicking Log In.

My own theory is that this is related to the upcoming changes to support.secondlife.com and is unintended behaviour.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

My own theory is that this is related to the quirks of Apple equipment.

Love bashing brands as much as the next deconstructionist.

Unfortunately this is platform/browser independent - is web-side.

But . . . but . . . but . . . all the complainants appear to be Apple users!

[Perhaps it's actually a wetware-category problem.]

Someones' wetware, no doubt.

It's maybe more hasslesome to navigate back and forth using Safari (couldn't say, my only Webkit renderer is... Lunascape). Maybe you can maintain division by instead suggesting that Apple users are more likely to complain?

Or, perhaps, more likely to assume someone's listening. :)

Enjoy the weekend.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

My own theory is that this is related to the quirks of Apple equipment.

Love bashing brands as much as the next deconstructionist.

Unfortunately this is platform/browser independent - is web-side.

But . . . but . . . but . . . all the complainants appear to be Apple users!

[Perhaps it's actually a wetware-category problem.]

Nope, I seem to be the only Apple user in this thread and I have no issues at all, in fact..it works wonderful on my iPhone and iPad :P

• 2 weeks later...

Freya Mokusei wrote:

The solution I use is to just hit
Back
twice once I get to the Blogs mainpage. Logged in status should be unchanged for you, as it is for me.

Contrary to what I said earlier in the thread tabbing back does work, when I refresh the page I want I am still logged in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.