Why do people take this game so damn seriously?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why are you in here ranting about it?

Unless you are 13 you should realize by now that most people are lunatics or a$$holes. Consider yourself lucky you found out sooner than later that this particular individual was f**king loony and can now be avoided.

PS Get ready for a s@@t storm about the 'computer game' remark. lol

What game?

I own several Virtual Islands. Some are private some are open to the public. My tenants are free to exercise their right to eject and ban anyone who doesn't know the difference. If you're lucky someone will be nice and explain the difference to you.

I'm not sure what the rant about everything being virtual is about.  And it's kinda telling that you say 'someone else banned me' from visiting their parcel.  Somehow I don't think we got the whole story. 

Regardless of whether someone thinks SL is a game or not, as you said, there are real people driving the avatars. People have a right to associate with who they want to.  Obviously either she didn't like you or you did do something to offend her.

Have you given any thought to her seeing you as being a bit too forward?  Perhaps offering her friendship well before such social norms have been met was enough to throw up red flags in her mind.  Perhaps you went even further than that and don't realize even how objectionably such actions can sometimes affect people.

Maybe she just had a feeling, by the way you'd behaved, that you might show up at her home uninvited and banned you as a precaution.  This isn't something I'd be prone to do, but it's quite understandable for someone who is... and they need not consider Second Life as seriously as you seem to indicate.

Your proclamation that, "someone else banned" you from visiting their parcel is quite telling.  Could it be that you honestly have no idea how obnoxiously repulsive you really are, within the social structure of SL?

Maybe, you just haven't realized that making friends in SL requires much, much more than simply sending a friend request as you would on Facebook or some other superficial, social media site.  For most people here, developing a rapport is a simple prerequisite to establishing friendship... similarly to real life.  Do yourself a favor... remember that the next time you send someone a friend request in SL and make sure that you've established a rapport with them first, as you would anyone with whom you'd intend to start a friendly relationship in RL.

...Dres

Amen to that on the friend requests. I get them from people I've just met all the time. I politely let people know I don't accept friend requests...Get this...and I do have to laugh. I have alts I have designated as scripted agents that I use as models in my store. When you walk in there's a floating text that states they are models and that there is no one at the keyboard. Feel free to leave a message in the mailbox at the front. I log in on them using metabolt on my netbook and then forget about them until the sim is restarted. I'm constantly seeing friend requests for them in their IMs.

As for this being a game...ummmm, no. It's a virtual world...a second life. Many of us are able to do thing in SL that we can't do in our RL. It's not a game like WoW or League of Legends or any of the other games out there. There is no goal or endpoint in it. Chances are very good that, as was said...she got a bad vibe and chose to ban you. Since you obviously showed up and weren't expected, she was on the right track. Get over it and move on. Those of us that have been inworld for a while...8 years in 2 weeks for me from the rez date of my original avi, have learned to trust our gut feeling. Same rules apply in SL that do in RL...you get too close to her...get in her personal space, for instance?

People rarely ban others from their parcels unless there is a reason. So, we're probably not getting the full story. You may not feel you did anything wrong and you may als feel like you can come on to any female because "it's just a game." Some don't feel that way. So back off. You're not going to get pixel sex after a first meeting and she may have felt that's what you were after, whether you meant it that way or not.

Take a step back, Bobbie, sweety.  Our good friend, Henry, never once mentioned accosting the girl for sex.

Regardless of the ability of most of us who've been here long enough to be able to usually read between the lines, it takes a great leap of logic to assume that the OP wasn't just simply trying to being friendly, rather than actively advocating his position within her undergarment of choice.  Should we not give him the benefit of doubt that we would give any other fool who dares to create such an amusingly self-delusional thread here?  I think not.

...Dres

HenryCrawford wrote:

Hi everyone.

Today I gained another sort-of rude awakening in-world by finding out someone else banned me from visiting their parcel. I met her the other day and was friendly towards her, even going as far as to offer my hand in friendship to her. Unfortunately, when I returned to her new home, I found I was banned from this part of Applewood. How very rude! I have not done anything to offend her or to deserve being banned from her parcel! I know she said she was a renter and offered rentals to some of her friends, but really! Come on! When are people going to realize this is a COMPUTER GAME!! The houses on this game are virtual! The items on this game are virtual! The currency is virtual! Sure, real people controls the majority of avatars, but it doesn't mean they should get seriously offended when someone comes over to another's house to say hi! Geez!
-_-

Its all a bloody good stress reliever.  Imagine, you reminded someone of her slightly-too-invasive neighbour in real life, who she is, unfortunately, unable to ban from her real life land.  And she's probably blocked you too.

The best banners are those who also send a snarky message that they've banned you... just because they can.  

Really, you should not let this bother you.  You clash with several people - we ALL clash with several people.  No one will like everyone in this world (in SL or RL - check out how people are in a workplace even). 

Maybe your mini-rant has been stress-relieving for you too.

edited to add:

The currency may be virtual, as in not recognised in the major banks of the world, but it is very real to those who make quite a lot of money inworld with their various businesses.  Lucky so and sos ;)

HenryCrawford wrote:

... when I returned to her new home, I found I was banned ... How very rude! ...

... When are people going to realize this is a COMPUTER GAME!! The houses on this game are virtual! The items on this game are virtual! The currency is virtual! Sure, real people controls the majority of avatars, but it doesn't mean they should get seriously offended when someone comes over to another's house to say hi! Geez!
-_-

^^ for this ^^

you the rude dude and not your friend

+

i have a SL home. Only time anyone comes is when I invite them each time. If anyone turns up uninvited then I boot them. Even my nearest and dearest

same I will not go to another persons home uninvited. Is rude and bad manners to do this. Same RL. same SL

your friend is like me. Our homes are not public places. They are not sandboxes or a bar or a coffeshop or a park or a hangout or a alley even. They are our own private spaces. No invite then please dont turn up. If you do then we will hammer you

SL is a game for me for sure. Outside of my little apartment. Inside my apartment there is no game. Is just me

+

you dont need to random turn up at her place (or mine or anyones) as the whim takes you just to say Hi. If do want to say Hi then pick up the phone and call. Like IM. And you might get an invite to come over, or not, depending on whatever else is planned for the day

if you are not ok with this then your SL is all about you and what you want. So yeah! geez!! dude. Get a clue ok

HenryCrawford wrote:

To Marigold, I realize not everybody in this virtual world and certainly not in the real world is going to like each other. However, one day, I'd like to see peace achieved across the grid in SL.
Just once, I'd like to see hundreds or even thousands of avatars, holding hands together and forming the sign of peace.

HystericalEmoticon.gif

You are complaining about being banned from somewhere that doesn't exist, and someone else is taking it 'so damn seriously'?

And by the way, the currency might be virtual, but you can trade it for the real stuff. It has value, virtual or not. If there's enough of it, it can be worth taking seriously.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

HenryCrawford wrote:

To Marigold, I realize not everybody in this virtual world and certainly not in the real world is going to like each other. However, one day, I'd like to see peace achieved across the grid in SL.
Just once, I'd like to see hundreds or even thousands of avatars, holding hands together and forming the sign of peace.

HystericalEmoticon.gif

Ohh nicely captured, Caity :)  I hadn't subscribed to the thread so would not have caught the original posting.

@ Henry, its not impossible - if you know how to use something like Photoshop. Fill yer boots.

I don't have much of a RL social life; most of that is probably my fault, I'm an isolationist; so when I come to SL, I take my friends there, the people I have met, and learned to care for, very seriously.  Just as I would if we were RL friends.  Friends are friends; and are to be taken seriously.  (BTW, in the  olden SL days, I used to actually care if someone violated my 'privacy', banning people if I caught them using my bed, etc, LOL  I no longer care at all, and actually don't even have houses on my land; I have a couple private places in the sky to change but I don't care anymore who comes on my virtual land.)  Maybe it's something you grow out of?  It's the people I am serious about.  

Treasure Ballinger wrote:

I don't have much of a RL social life; most of that is probably my fault, I'm an isolationist; so when I come to SL, I take my friends there, the people I have met, and learned to care for, very seriously.  Just as I would if we were RL friends.  Friends are friends; and are to be taken seriously.  (BTW, in the  olden SL days, I used to actually care if someone violated my 'privacy', banning people if I caught them using my bed, etc, LOL  I no longer care at all, and actually don't even have houses on my land; I have a couple private places in the sky to change but I don't care anymore who comes on my virtual land.)  Maybe it's something you grow out of?  It's the people I am serious about.  

I've been renting the lighthouse in Forgotten City for the last four+ years. In the last year, I've probably spent half dozen hours there. FC is a public sim, there are no access controls for the rental units, so I can't zap visitors. There are no locks on the doors either, so I almost always log-in to find my front door open. I've logged-in quite a few times to find couples canoodling on my sofa. I generally excuse myself and beam up to my skybox.

If I'm not going to enjoy the lighthouse, someone should.

As for changing clothing, when I first arrived in SL and wasn't sure who could see what as I changed, I hid under a barge in a canal somewhere when changing clothing. Now I change outfits wherever I am.

What hasn't changed since gaining my first friend in SL is my habit of checking in on them via IM. I've several friends I've never actually met "face-to-face". This may sound odd, but most of my online experience preceded SL, and IM was the way of the world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.