Any answers?

Richtea57
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've got this sock that's got a hole in it....actually I have more than one sock, I haven't counted them all,-and I don't mean to show off here-, I must have at least six or seven of them, but not all of them have holes.

Anyway, I digress. This particular sock,-white towelling, with a hint of yellowing discolouration at the heel-, has a hole that, through some freak of physics or a malevolent god, is exactly large enough for the big toe of my left foot to poke through....How I found this out involved a complex series of experiments that, if you're not of a scientific bent, will only confuse you, so I'll not explain the methods used, suffice to say, they were rigorous indeed.

When I put the sock on my left foot, my big toe pokes through, (rather alluringly, I might add), meaning that the hole is on the right side of the sock.

So, my question is this: How is it that when I put the sock on my right foot, my big toe still pokes through, meaning that the hole has magically moved a couple of inches to the left?

You really need a 'splainaton for this? your big toes are on the INSIDE of your foot, hence no matter what foot you put the sock on its the hole  will be on the inside. Now if there was a hole showing your pinkie toe the hole would show both..

Duh Uh!!!  :matte-motes-nerdy:

1. Note that all socks have at last one hole in them; this is necessary so that you can put your foot inside them.

2. A second, smaller, accidentally developed hole at the other end from the larger, intentionally created hole will move from right to left if the sock is turned inside out, as can often be the case when more mature wearers remove it, as it is too  much of a strain to bend over far enough to slide the sock off without turning it inside out, and mature wearers with poorer eyesight will not notice that the sock is inside out, especially if the "all black socks" strategy (discussed in a previous statistically orientated thread regarding the likelihood of selecting a matching pair in the dark when hungover) is in place.

3. An alternative solution may be that your big toe is actually situated in the middle of your five toes, and that you are a throwback to the missing link between dinosaurs and primates.

Richtea57 wrote:

Ah, what you need are socks all the same colour; you still lose one or two, but it's not as devasting as it would be if you had various coloured socks.

That devastation would require someone to care if their socks matched, wouldn't it? So long as I have two clean socks in my dresser, I'm happy. Otherwise I'm barefoot, and still happy.

I'll be out at the pub today wearing one green pump (the color of the Irish flag) and one blue one (the offical color of St. Patrick).

LlazarusLlong wrote:

1. Note that all socks have at last one hole in them; this is necessary so that you can put your foot inside them.

2. A second, smaller, accidentally developed hole at the other end from the larger, intentionally created hole will move from right to left if the sock is turned inside out, as can often be the case when more mature wearers remove it, as it is too  much of a strain to bend over far enough to slide the sock off without turning it inside out, and mature wearers with poorer eyesight will not notice that the sock is inside out, especially if the "all black socks" strategy (discussed in a previous statistically orientated thread regarding the likelihood of selecting a matching pair in the dark when hungover) is in place.

3. An alternative solution may be that your big toe is actually situated in the middle of your five toes, and that you are a throwback to the missing link between dinosaurs and primates.

Sheesh LLaz, I thought I fixed my sight when I finally had to cave in and got myself reading glasses (after some time thinking the whole internet got Depth of Field and blaming everyone and his dog to use fine prints on packages, let alone the fact lightbulbs are not what they used to be and: my arms got too short!!) and now I have these expensive specs and you start typing in kermit-the-evil-frog-green, making me think I need another pair of glasses?!

The great showman Barnum found a way to make money trading on the ignorance of his audience, particularly the semi-literate, or just plain pretentious.

Just inside the entrance to his fairground he would put up a large sign saying TO THE EGRESS!!!

Many visitors, assuming it related to the exhibition of perhaps a missing link freak, perhaps an African-American female with no head (there's a crossword clue for you) followed in the direction of the sign and found themselves outside the fairground, which they would have to pay a second time if they wanted to re-enter.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Sheesh LLaz, I thought I fixed my sight when I finally had to cave in and got myself reading glasses (after some time thinking the whole internet got Depth of Field and blaming everyone and his dog to use fine prints on packages, let alone the fact lightbulbs are not what they used to be and: my arms got too short!!) and now I have these expensive specs and you start typing in kermit-the-evil-frog-green, making me think I need another pair of glasses?!

It's not Kermit Green, it's Emerald Green.

I am celebrating the other Welsh Patron Saint's Day.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

It's not Kermit Green, it's Emerald Green.

I am celebrating the other Welsh Patron Saint's Day.

Ah. I will try my rose tinted glasses for today then :P

Richtea57 wrote:

So, my question is this: How is it that when I put the sock on my right foot, my big toe still pokes through, meaning that the hole has magically moved a couple of inches to the left?

Recently a discovery was made that socks actually exist in another dimension than the rest of our world.  In actuality it has many more dimensions. What we see as a sock is just our dimensions manifestation of it.

Socks follow the laws of physics for the dimension they exist in.  Thus the same hole can appear to the left or right depending on its relation to the big toe in our dimension.  This also explains why when you put a pair in the wash, sometimes only one will emerge and why one sock of the same pair will never stay up but slouches messily.  The translation of the other dimensions laws of physics from their dimension to ours accounts for all sock phenomenon.  It involves a very complicated mathematical formula that is too long to write out on these pages.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Richtea57 wrote:

All fair points, but I worry that unmatched socks will be on the feet taking the first steps on the road to anarchy.

Well, there's your problem.

A little anarchy is good for you.

And that person waving to you way up the road?

That's me!

Ah, thirty something years ago I'd have been there in my hep and hip slogan bespatterd boiler suit. Now it's a life of slouching for me. 

Archived