Why does media play on a prim on my computer but not on my friend's computer?

Sylvia Trilling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

*edit

Do I need a flash player or quicktime to play an mp4?

* end edit

I am doing a Machinema project with a RL friend. We are creating our set on my land (she doesn't own any yet) but she has a much faster computer than I do.

I can get an mp4 to play on a prim when I am on my computer. I go to her house and log in to SL under my own account on her computer and the prim just turns white and the media doesn't show. I have tried a simple prim and the media viewer from the inventory library. I have tried running media through the parcel and through a prim in the texture settings. It seems there is something about her computer's configuration that is preventing the media from showing?

Also I am a mac person and she has a PC and I don't know a lot about PC's.

2 answers to this question

And I don't know much about Macs.  I know how you feel.

In order to play Flash format videos (eg YouTube videos), you must have the Firefox version of the Adobe Flash plugin installed. Unless you already have this specific version of Flash installed already, you will need to get the Firefox Flash plugin; see here.

If videos are not playing or you have a black or blank page........

• Go to Avatar (or Me) → Preferences → Sound & Media
    • Make sure the “Enabled” checkbox to the right of the “Media” slider is checked
    • Check “Allow inworld scripts to play media”
    • Make sure you have updated both Flash Player and Quicktime.
    • Make sure that “Enable plugins” is ticked in Preferences → Network & Cache, else Flash Player or Quicktime can not be executed, and you may see a message saying: Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.