Why do I hear Commercials every time I Teleport?

Kralus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Doesn't matter what stream url I use on my land or thats used by anyone else when I visit their place.  The commercials activate when I teleport and they are the same damn commercials everyday all day. It makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Is there some setting I am missing in my preferences or something?

I asked this question in the Answeres catagory but I really hate getting an answere that doesn't help and no way to respond so I am asking here for some input/ideas. I do not have realplayer or any other program installed on my comp. I reformatted my comp a few months ago and have limited programs installed to only what I need. I have even gone through my "remove programs" to see if anything was there and I have no music or sound programs at all and everytime I have my music stream on and then TELEPORT.. its still the same damn commercials cutting into the stream to play adverts.

How can any background program (which i have none i can find) Cut into my Second Life media stream and auto run commercials everytime I TELEPORT in SL?

Anyone experience this?

Everytime you enter a SIM or Parcel, you update to the stream the SIM or Parcel even if it is on the same Internet Radio Stream you were listening to, the stream reconnects.

Many Streams are set up when you connect to run a commercial first before sending other content.

Not all of them do it but quite a few.

So because you are "reconnecting" you get the commercial again.

Yes, if I never here Flo again I could die a happy man.  ;)

Bottom line it's the Streams that are doing it.

Interesting.. No matter what stream I use and I've tried way too many from many different places.. its the same commercials that fade out my music to run then fade the music back in. *TASTE THE BEST.. FOR 2 DOLLARS LESS* in every single accent the guy can do.

I guess I'll just turn off my music media and avoid it all together.

Thanks for all the input.

Kralus wrote:

Doesn't matter what stream url I use on my land or thats used by anyone else when I visit their place.  The commercials activate when I teleport and they are the same damn commercials everyday all day. It makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Is there some setting I am missing in my preferences or something?

I asked this question in the Answer's category but I really hate getting an answer that doesn't help and no way to respond so I am asking here for some input/ideas. I do not have realplayer or any other program installed on my comp. I reformatted my comp a few months ago and have limited programs installed to only what I need. I have even gone through my "remove programs" to see if anything was there and I have no music or sound programs at all and every time I have my music stream on and then TELEPORT.. its still the same damn commercials cutting into the stream to play adverts.

How can any background program (which i have none i can find) Cut into my Second Life media stream and auto run commercials every time I TELEPORT in SL?

Anyone experience this?

[After clearing her throat the announcer picks up the mic and begins] ...

"Welcome to SL Teleport Airways. Please make sure that your arms are pulled in close to your sides and that your toes are inside the beam circle. Your trip will begin shortly. Enjoy this commercial announcement while you travel to and fro. If you need anything please remember that we are here for you and you can press the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen to summon us to your nearest point of departure or Limbo whichever is the most hungry for your body."

OKies enough joking.

The key to this mystery is the FMOD DLL Library that is installed with your SL Viewer(s). This versatile library has all sorts of media modules in it that other software [e.g. SL Viewers by various developers] can load and pass arguments to. The typical argument being the MUSIC URL of the parcel you are in at any point in time.

Since you have basically created a clean machine for running SL the question we need to ask is what is triggering the FMOD Media player to launch [within an SLPlugin.exe shell] with the stream URL that has the annoying commercial in it.

I'm sure you have done these steps:

1) Removed every version of any SL Viewer and/or text client using the Clean install instructions to delete all C://User/[username]/appdata/... secondlife and text viewer support folders.

2) Have also looked into the Program Files (x86) folder and deleted any remaining SecondLife program library, [Nore: a borked SecondLife folder can persist across reinstalls with equally borked executable programs in it. ]

3) Have verified that there are no persistent issues with Interest Explorer especially JS [javascript] related media hijacker's. I use AdwCleaner from Xplode to do a quick scan/repair. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

4) Installed using the Standard SL Viewer and tested this again. 

Additionally, what OS are you using?

Note: There are 2 kinds of Music media streams you encounter in SL. Fixed Loop MP3s and Broadcast streams that are either live or scheduled. The Fixed Loop MP3 streams have the following annoying attribute: They start from the beginning each time you enter a parcel using them. Broadcast streams continue where they are in the current program playlist.

This leads me to believe that you are encountering a Fixed Loop MP3 stream.

Coby Foden wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

LL are running a pilot on advertising during teleporting.

sSig_aaarggh.gif

...see what you have done!  This is your fault!   
Hammer-head.gif

:smileytongue:

Agreed.

It seems I have always had the ability to make things up which subsequently come true.

[Once I invented an affair between the ugliest bloke in our organisation and the prettiest girl. They got annoyed because it was surprisingly accurate. Their respective spouses got even more annoyed.]

My world, my imagination . . . my, my, my!

is not clear to me the situation where/when you are hearing this

if you are hearing it when you return to your own home then there is a media device close to you that begins playing when you come in range of it. You have your viewer set to Autoplay. The device may be on your parcel. It may be on your neighbours. It is close tho

+

if you are wearing attached media then the connection to the media stream is maintained during teleport and the stream should continue playing (mine does) even while teleporting. You can still hear it even when looking at the teleport screen. Like it should not restart as a rule after teleport is completed. It should just continue to play

however, when attached media is also set to Autoplay then it will connect to any active media device in range, typically coming in over the top of the stream already connected to

is also made more problematic this when the attached media device has more than one media surface on it

bc I use attached media a lot then I set Autoplay to False. Means that I have to manually set my attached media device to play when I login in. bc is set to not Autoplay then I have to do the same for every other media device I encounter. Like start them manually. Which I dont. So I never connect to them. So never hear them

• 1 month later...

I have an Intel i7.  I believe KarenMichelle Lane is correct in saying im probably experiencing a Fixed Loop MP3 stream. I was so fed up for a while that I just stopped using my stream in sl and used jango. However I have since become bored with the same songs on repeat in jango and started using my stream again only to remember... ahh yes.. the commercials. :matte-motes-sour:

So my next attempt will be to remove everything and do a clean install. Wish me luck.. cause well.. I'm going to need it! :matte-motes-bored:

Kralus wrote:

I have an Intel i7.  I believe KarenMichelle Lane is correct in saying im probably experiencing a Fixed Loop MP3 stream. I was so fed up for a while that I just stopped using my stream in sl and used jango. However I have since become bored with the same songs on repeat in jango and started using my stream again only to remember... ahh yes.. the commercials. :matte-motes-sour:

So my next attempt will be to remove everything and do a clean install. Wish me luck.. cause well.. I'm going to need it! :matte-motes-bored:

We're here ready to help...... If you still get this issue on a completely clean re-install, IM me in-world so we can schedule a time to look your avatar over after a TP - looking for unusual attachments of prims in your clothing.

My thinking is you have a media on a prim attached to you with the same [now boring] commercial on it, probably a YouTube Video. It may be on a clothing prim or even located on a single strand of hair. Most people load their viewer with the [_] hear music attached to other avatars turned off. This explains why others can;t hear it. Of course you can't defeat this on behalf of yourself unless you turn off the [_] Play Media/Music options. In fact if either of these kills the commercial that helps us narrow down the source of the commercial.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.