1mbps internet speed or 15mbps satelite internet

Blyss Marialla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I moved to the middle of nowhere and the fastest internet they offer me is 1mbps lite dsl or I can get 15mbps sattellite with up to a 30g cap... problem is we will watch netflix too. I know SL min requirements states that it does not suggest sattellite or wifi, but I have heard of ppl who do use it. I used to have 50mbps and I would lag and I heard something about if my internet was moving faster than my card could keep up it would cause lag. Idk if it is true or not. My video card is geforce 210. Not technically supported I think but it works and I will upgrade eventually, nothing too fancy though. Basically will 1mbps make it so I cant play SL at all, or make it unbearably slow? Might it actually improve performance cuz of my video card? Or would satellite internet be a better option even though it has a cap? Please help me figure this out, I only have a few days.

4 answers to this question

Don't worry about the bandwidth.  That's not a limiting factor for most people.  SL can run quite well on surprisingly narrow bandwidth.  The real limiting factors are the reliability of your connection (that is, whether it can transmit data without losing a lot of it or without delays in the signal) and the quality of your graphics card.  Wireless does work for some people, but it slows things down a bit and, for some connections, can be a source of data loss that can result in lag or excessive crashing.  Satellite, on the other hand, will be a big problem. There's a major time lag as signals are bounced up to a satellite and back down again, so you can expect to have a large ping time and therefore loads of lag and crashing. It's a common complaint among SL residents from Australia, whose signals have to travel halfway around the world to SL servers. If you can avoid it, do.  If you can't, just realize that you may get lower than your best results. 

Your graphics card is quite substandard, as you know.  Look on the Internet at places like NewEgg or TigerDirect.  Gamers usually upgrade to the newest, fanciest cards they can afford, which means that very good cards that are a tier or two below "top of the line" are quite cheap.  I replaced my card last fall with an NVidia 750Ti for under $100, and it was a definite improvement.

• Like 3

Blyss,

In your situation and if SL is an important aspect of your life then go with the DSL option. Reason: No or low latency.

Now if your budget allows, then having both services can be beneficial for you.

Modern TVs will work quite well using Satellite TV and Internet services to play Subscriber Digital content and to stream Internet content such as Netflix.

You would in this scenario use the DSL exclusively for your PC and accessing the Internet to enter SL

and the Satellite Services for your TV & Netflix viewing.

Rolig's advise is spot on regarding the geforce 210 - That has to go :D

The problem with satellite is latency. The packet travel time is horrible. You may be able to tolerate satellite for SL if you are NOT playing combat or other skill games. But, you will likely find the the controls sluggish.

Bandwidth or data volume of 1mbps is usable. You may notice regions taking longer to load. At an event you still only need 50k to 100k per sec to keep up. So, once every thing loads you won't notice a problem.

Ask the ISP about using their service for gaming. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.