Support and Jira: Confused and confusing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wanted to do a simple thing: I wanted to report a bad link on the main Secondlife website. 20 minutes later I am banging my head onto my desk in complete and utter frustration. 

The Contact Support page here is not user friendly and has no option for simply reporting a website issue. The Jira site is terrible. It's confusing, looks completely out of date, and is full of inactive projects. The Second Life Website (WEB) project is inactive and tells you to go to the Bug project. You can't see all of the open issues so you can't see if the issue was reported by someone else. Since this is not a Bug you have to fill in all of the required fields that don't matter in this instance.

The link I reported was one that newer users would have been trying to access. Going to: Account; Premium Membership; Link to "Take advantage of your building rights on the Mainland " goes to a non-existing document. Things like this would definately frustrate and even worry people trying to get into using SL for the first time. It might put them off. No new user would have reported this issue because it is too frustrating to report it. I am not a new user and it had me banging my head against a desk. :/

Look, the economy is bad, people are worried about money, and so SL is going to see a drop in revenue and in premium memberships no matter what. But if you want to keep your existing membership base and attract new people you need to do everything you can not to frustatate and confuse people on simple things like support. If you make things too hard for new users, you'll soon have no new users. What new users experience IN SL, well, that's a different topic. The support system needs to work first.

Wow. A suggestion box is not appropriate for filing this type of issue. Sheesh!

I did see an immediate reply to my bug report. Apparently my report duplicates someone else's report from July 13, 2014. That older ticket was marked resolved on July 14, 2014. It obviouslty has not ever been addressed.

Now that I am thinking about it I remember seeing this problem 3 or more years ago but never reported it. I figured they'd catch it in short order. Obviously not!

I think Second Life is in serious danger of falling down the scale like Livejournal and MySpace. They need to get out of that locked admin mindset and start thinking like a user.

Markham Weatherwax wrote:

I wanted to do a simple thing:

Have you ever tried a novocaine enema?  Simple enough.

PS And it may help numb you from the daily SL grind you are confronted with, as expressed in your OP. 

I wanted to do a simple thing: I wanted to report a bad link on the main Secondlife website.

You fool.

20 minutes later I am banging my head onto my desk in complete and utter frustration.

I hope you're only doing this because it feels so good when you stop.

...Dres

*grin*

Yes, I am a fool. And yes, and metaphorically banging my head against the desk does help.

I am not so much a fool that I will not take good advice, however. Perrie Juran informed about e-mailing "suggestions" and that is what I will use for the other website issues I've encountered.

I did find out that on the Jira site "resolved" does not mean fixed, it means logged and reported.

I realize that this is not a new issue. The support system has been something that people have been taking issue with and complaining in the forums about for many years. All we can do is continue talking about it in the hopes that someone will finally listen and get a clue. It takes foolish people to do that. ;)

Wow. A suggestion box is not appropriate for filing this type of issue. Sheesh!

I did see an immediate reply to my bug report. Apparently my report duplicates someone else's report from July 13, 2014. That older ticket was marked resolved on July 14, 2014. It obviouslty has not ever been addressed.

Now that I am thinking about it I remember seeing this problem 3 or more years ago but never reported it. I figured they'd catch it in short order. Obviously not!

I think Second Life is in serious danger of falling down the scale like Livejournal and MySpace. They need to get out of that locked admin mindset and start thinking like a user.

Oh, I'd  agree.  I'm  on my table right now so searching the Forum is  a pain  but this was the response I got from Ebbe when I asked about  this  sort  of  thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.