Playing a Famale Avatar as a Guy?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, nad mostly new to Second Life. I wsa on it for a short time awhile back and have only recently gotten back to really dive in. As a result, I've sort of got an issue I was hoping to get some advice on.

I have a famale avatar and very much prefer being in SL as a girl(I've done both), yet I don't want to lead anyone on into thinking I'm a girl in real life.

So here's my question: what's the best way to make it clear to people you're a guy in real life, or is it even necessary to do so in the first place?

Thanks a lot, and I'm glad to finally be starting this!

there always been al lot of guys playing on a fem avatar, as long you don't have a problem with it others won't either...

if you feel the need to tell you of course might get some mad responses.. not all others will accept it.

In special when you get a bf it can result in a very unpleasant situation.

It's on your own ... play it well and nobody will notice, and if you tell ... accept the response as you get it.

Nothing wrong with it. What is the point of having a second life if you can't swap gender.

If you want people to know put it in your profile. Just put it in as a statement of fact without either apologising or being aggressive about it (e.g. So if you don't like it you can ......  <- don't do this).

Most people are pretty cool about this sort of thing in SL and for the rest you have Block, Derender and Shift + Ctrl + H.

Welcome to SL!

It's really up to you how much of your RL self you reveal. As far as swapping genders is concerned, the point when it becomes an issue is when it would negatively impact someone else. Some people are absolutely terrified at the prospect of accidentally swapping dirty talk with someone of an incompatible gender. 

As others have pointed out, you can add a note to your profile, RL or SL section. If you *really* want people to know, start or join a 'Gender Tourist' group so that you have a title over your head announcing it to the world.

Unless told otherwise, I accept people as their avis are. For most all of SL is RP of a sort. Very few of us actually look like the avatar we've created. There are a lot of guy in Sl using female avi for several reason....clothes, clothes and.....clothes. The male avi is short changed and on a viscious cycle. A lot of male avi consider jeans, tats, may be shoes and done. They don't spend a lot on good skins or better clothing. Since most don't, designers don't do a lot of clothes for males, unlike females, which have all kinds of clothes everywhere. Hopefully, with the release of a more normal looking male mesh avi rather than the ones that make you look like your on steriods with another in the pipeline, that will change.

So, go for it. You relaly only need to "tell" if you're going to be in a relationship. For casual, it's no one's business but your own.

There's been a lot of great advice so far, not much I can add. Bobbie is right, how many of us actually look like our avies?? Your Second Life, Your imagination! While Aislin is designed to look like the  younger me, I don't feel the need to advertise the fact that I'm not as thin or young as Aislin anymore in my profile.  I know that's a pale comparison to gender, but you get what I mean, I'm sure.

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

There's been a lot of great advice so far, not much I can add. Bobbie is right, how many of us actually look like our avies?? Your Second Life, Your imagination! While Aislin is designed to look like the  younger me, I don't feel the need to advertise the fact that I'm not as thin or young as Aislin anymore in my profile.  I know that's a pale comparison to gender, but you get what I mean, I'm sure.

Presumably you have colour matched your SL hair to that on the RL packet though?

(laughs loudly) Damn you're good! No this color is NOT found in the natural world....and trying to get (cough cough) "everything" to match is quite a task.! Also, we didn't HAVE "packets" in the old days, we used crushed plants, dirt and rocks and WE LIKED IT!! 

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

(laughs loudly) Damn you're good! No this color is NOT found in the natural world....and trying to get (cough cough) "everything" to match is quite a task.! Also, we didn't HAVE "packets" in the old days, we used crushed plants, dirt and rocks and WE LIKED IT!! 

Ah, I only asked because my daughter came downstairs on Sunday morning with hair that colour, having gone to bed a strawberry blonde.

Apparently she has a fancy dress party to go to as Ariel.

NatashaSvetsky wrote:

So here's my question: what's the best way to make it clear to people you're a guy in real life....

Write it on your profile.

NatashaSvetsky wrote:

...or is it even necessary to do so in the first place?...

No. 

Some people can successfully pull-off running an avatar that's very different from their RL self.  Others, not so much.

Be prepared for people to wonder, if you fall into that latter category.

My understanding is that most people really don't care. unless you're getting into an actual relationshiop, people don't really care either way. Even when talking about sexual relationships, some people have the mindset of not wanting to know and only care about the gender of your avatar. Others will want to know. I think the only time it matters to most is when you enter a relationship.

You can always mention in your profile that you're a guy in RL. From what I've seen, a lot of guys with female avatars will just make their avatars transgender while being fully male in real life. Though, there seem to be a lot of girls playing that way as well. So basically, just do whatever you want, lol. After about 8 years in SL, I've seen just about every type of avatar there is to see and i think most others have as well. That's really the essence of SL, be who you want to be. Don't let other people's judgement alter your choices. I like to wear a mask on my avatar for example. i don't wear one in RL, but I can be a masked guy in SL

Im with Bobbie and take Avi appearance as legit.  

But if you do feel you want to tell the truth, say so in your profile as others suggest, bearing in mind this might put some people off and they may not want to know anymore about you. 

If you keep quiet and play along I think its unfair then to reveal your true identity down the track. Keep the illusion alive. 

Wow what a response. Thanks everybody :)

I''ll keep all this in mind. My main issue is like has been mentioned the possibility of problems regarding relationships. I think I'll mention my real gender in my RL biography section, and point it out in some cases when necessary. Really glad to see it's a not a big issue.

If you really want to let everyone know, and you're in with a friendly enough crowd of people, you could use a Titler bought in the marketplace and have "I'm a guy in RL" floating above your head. It's a bit tacky but that's a trade off, I suppose, for an absolute lack of confusion on anyones part.

Also, be careful! Homo and transphobia are alive and well, and I can imagine so redneck types on here not taking it kindly or understanding why you'd prefer that. Good luck to you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.