TawniDawn

Where can I change clothes privately?

Question

Hi Tawni,

If you're careful about how you handle clothing (or just don't give a damn), there's really no need for privacy. I can switch from a shorts and a top to ballroom gown without ever finding myself in a blushworthy state. I do that by choosing "Wear" to replace the previous garment with the new one and "Add" to bring in additional layers and accessories. I don't detach or remove anything until I'm sure that doing so won't expose naughty bits. Once I've got the look I want, I save it as an outfit. The next time I want that look, wearing the outfit switches everything so quickly that nobody sees anything.

If you want to experiment with looks, and that requires showing more skin than is proper for a public place, you can always open up the map and look for empty places (no green dots), like the bottom of the Blake Sea. When I first started in SL, and was self conscious, I changed my clothing under a barge in a canal somewhere.

• Like 3

17 answers to this question

Hi Tawni,

If you're careful about how you handle clothing (or just don't give a damn), there's really no need for privacy. I can switch from a shorts and a top to ballroom gown without ever finding myself in a blushworthy state. I do that by choosing "Wear" to replace the previous garment with the new one and "Add" to bring in additional layers and accessories. I don't detach or remove anything until I'm sure that doing so won't expose naughty bits. Once I've got the look I want, I save it as an outfit. The next time I want that look, wearing the outfit switches everything so quickly that nobody sees anything.

If you want to experiment with looks, and that requires showing more skin than is proper for a public place, you can always open up the map and look for empty places (no green dots), like the bottom of the Blake Sea. When I first started in SL, and was self conscious, I changed my clothing under a barge in a canal somewhere.

• Like 3

Don't use a sandbox.  Those are dreadfully public.  There are LOADS of empty regions ariound, though.  Maddy already suggested the bottom of a body of water (Linden-owned regions are great).  When I was a newbie -- before I discovered that I never need a changing room -- I used to pick the top of a large building on an empty region.  You'll also find that many in-world shops have their own dressing rooms you can use, as do quite a few private regions.  (Try the red phone booth by the Reference Desk at the Community Virtual Library on Imagination Island, for example.  Follow directions from the landing point to the ref desk.)

• Like 1

Well, i'm still new & haven't used my acc much...still trying skins etc., so it takes a little longer! I have been using the "Wear" & just replace everything for the few outfits I have already!

Yes, I actually changed underneath a boat somewhere lol!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I know, i've been finding places within the sandboxs to hide lol!

Thank you so much for the suggestions...i'll try them!

Maddy and Rolig are right on.  If you want a traditional "dressing room" though, you will find some at Caledon Oxbridge University, in Caledon Oxbridge Village, and on White Tiger Help Island.

Welcome to Free Fitting Rooms and Home Point!

Tired trying to find a private place to rez and unpack your shopping bags? Need a home point where to log in or where to have idle moments? Teleport up to the fitting room skyboxes. Here you will find a photo studio, too.

http://secondlife.com/destination/free-fitting-room-home-point

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Raroia%20Bay/237/200/21

Greetings,

Uleria

Welcome to Free Fitting Rooms and Home Point!

Tired trying to find a private place to rez and unpack your shopping bags? Need a home point where to log in or where to have idle moments? Teleport up to the fitting room skyboxes. Here you will find a photo studio, too.

http://secondlife.com/destination/free-fitting-room-home-point

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Raroia%20Bay/237/200/21

Greetings, Uleria

Good evening everyone :) 

I'm wondering if there's any updates at this topic. I don't own place and i'm having trouble finding a private place to change clothes. 

I already read all your suggestions... I really don't fell confortable testing my things out in the open for everyone to see and zoom. Maybe i'm old fashioned? I have a big inventory so i like to try my clothes, skins, accessories in private and take photos so i know what i have. I also thought of going in those changing rooms exclusive for women, but I can't put my mind to it. Imagine what it would be like if you were testing clothes in a room with other girls and only listen the photo clicks. It wouldn't be a nice experience for anyone. :o 

I tried several "private rooms" these past days and so far Alethia Island Sandbox is my changing place. Could you recomend me any place or know of more? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Have a great wekend!

14 minutes ago, DesVolker said:

Good evening everyone :) 

I'm wondering if there's any updates at this topic. I don't own place and i'm having trouble finding a private place to change clothes. 

I already read all your suggestions... I really don't fell confortable testing my things out in the open for everyone to see and zoom. Maybe i'm old fashioned? I have a big inventory so i like to try my clothes, skins, accessories in private and take photos so i know what i have. I also thought of going in those changing rooms exclusive for women, but I can't put my mind to it. Imagine what it would be like if you were testing clothes in a room with other girls and only listen the photo clicks. It wouldn't be a nice experience for anyone. :o 

I tried several "private rooms" these past days and so far Alethia Island Sandbox is my changing place. Could you recomend me any place or know of more? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Have a great wekend!

The bottom of the ocean, way offshore, works well.  I used that a lot in my early days.  You can also join various groups inworld that offer places.  Peruse my profile (picks) - there is a group that a lot of us Forum folks (some would say a Cartel) belong to and they have changing rooms way up in the sky for their members.

/me hid that plug nicely, huh?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Or go to Social Island (there are nine identical versions, all owned by Linden Lab).  Enter the shopping area, which is down the stairs and to your left from the entry point. In the shopping area, there are two changing booths.  Enter either one and you will be sent to a random location high above the region.  You cannot be followed, and anyone who tries will be blocked.  That's about as private as you can get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Rolig, I didn't know they had changing rooms on Social Island!  Cool.

Caledon Oxbridge University has male and female dressing rooms up in the sky.  There are teleport doors to them near the fishpond chat area, and in the Hall of Avatar Customization.  New Resident Island has a changing room; the teleport is in the free shopping area.

As for people getting weirded out by your taking photos, try this one:  1) Put the Advanced menu on your top menu bar by hitting CTRL+ALT+D.  Then go to Advanced/Quiet Snapshots.  You can still take pictures, but your avatar won't do the "taking a picture" animation and there will be no shutter sound.

Changing under water is generally pretty private.

Maddy's suggestion of changing by adding an upper layer or garment before removing garments underneath is excellent, but it does take some practice.

Bear in mind that people can focus their camera on you even if you're inside four walls.  If you look in About Land/Options you can see if the parcel you are on allows this.  If the box is not checked, people outside the land parcel cannot see your avatar, although they can tell you are there by looking on the map.

In the end, though, remember that your avatar is only pixels, not your real body.  If someone sees your avatar unclothed, it's hardly the end of the world!

• Thanks 1

Well all those suggestions are good ones, you might as well know that there are griefers (and pervs) that hang out at the dressing rooms.  Privacy unless you have a security orb or a whole island that you make private, isn't REALLY real :D. And while changing clothes out in the open was frowned on long, long, long ago ---- with mesh we show up pretty much naked a lot anyway as our clothes are loading (applier  undies are good when they will work with your outfit or just alpha out the "bits" :D. 

You COULD if you really want privacy rent a very cheap place with a security orb. I have seen some for like 25 lindens a week which is less than a dime US and you can make that easily at the Realms.   AND as someone suggested if you ADD rather than WEAR and then take off the previous garment, you will never be naked anyway. I change out on my building pad all the time and seldom actually get naked LOL.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Or go to Social Island (there are nine identical versions, all owned by Linden Lab).  Enter the shopping area, which is down the stairs and to your left from the entry point. In the shopping area, there are two changing booths.  Enter either one and you will be sent to a random location high above the region.  You cannot be followed, and anyone who tries will be blocked.  That's about as private as you can get.

Now the fact that these TP you to random locations is super cool.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone :)

WOW! Thank you so much for the fast replies with help and suggestions!! I've updated my settings and i'll begin to look About Land more often. 

At the begining i also tried adding garments one above the other but i didn't find it practical at all. (Probably it's just lack of pratice?) Now i have a base outfit for trying clothes and stuff, only have: my head + maitreya full body with applier underwear and with hidden parts. It's easier for me to test and take photos of my inventory.

I understand your point that we're only pixels but still i like to think i have control over my avi and her image. A long time ago, i went with a friend to an amazing place which had a slow loading, we end up giving up and went to another. Later she began to get a lot of unwanted messages and found out a site that had posted her avi naked photos. Since then, i've been using applier underwear and hide some parts as precaution whenever i can. My point is: we can never be too careful, so if i can prevent it i'll try it.

25L per week sounds reasonable for a place with a security orb. I know it's off topic, but do you know were i can search for a thing like that or search more info? I'm really clueless about this..

Thank you once again for everything. ^_^

Why would I care? It's an avatar, no less, no more.

However. The other thing is that there are no limits for the camera. I can move it everywhere in the sim and on the neighbour sims and can derender obstacles. Just why bother? To see a random nude avatar? You can see 100s of that if you want.

You need a private sim for privacy :) For a start - a parcel flagged so that avatars are not visible from other parcels would come close to your wishes. Hiding somewhere is the wrong assumption that SL is like RL. Nope it's not :)

It's all a matter of how immersed you feel in world, and of what you expect from SL. We all know intellectually that our avatars are just a bunch of pixels, but some people identify quite closely with that bunch. I always have, personally, and I remember being very easily embarrassed as a newbie when my av had a "clothing malfunction." It's happened so many times over the years that I am quite nonchalant about being naked in world now, whether accidentally or on purpose.  It's something like getting used to a new locker room in RL, I suppose. In any case, as long as you feel uncomfortable having other people see your unclothed avatar, there's nothing wrong with finding quiet places where you can be alone.  And if you do find yourself in one of those awkward moments, remember: (1) nobody knows who you are in RL unless you have told them, (2) nobody can hurt you in SL, and (3) escape is only one TP away or, ultimately, as simple as logging out. 9_9

• Like 1

Free Dove has private fitting rooms. I find them to be helpful, as they are high above any cam distance and you don't get "looking good babe!" IM's. Privacy is relative, but as been pointed out,  if I am experimenting with different looks, it takes time. I don't care for unsolicited IM's.