having trouble moving around

drdrakeramoray

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi. If your bandwidth goes down to zero you will not be able to move until it increases again. To see this, press CTRL SHFT 1.

If you have clicked on something in the margins of, or outside of, your viewer you may need to click somewhere in the world and then try to move again, or, like Mr. Clarence said, press the Escape Key and try again. 

So, it could be lag or inactive viewer.

Are you on a laptop? SL is not meant to run on laptops. And many laptops seem to log you on and let you see the world, but then...you can't move.

Be sure to put the draw distance in view/preferences/graphics to 64 and turn off all custom graphics options, also turn off media, that can help.

In my experience it might be one of 2 things. The easiest thing is to open Preferences (ctrl+P keys, or use the Me menu...I think) and then simply set the network speed setting lower. This helps me with no fail. Each time I have installed a client, bar the presets holding over from previous installs like during a update, I have this issue. I have went through several OS isntalls (long story, lots of stress and multiple old computers + experimenting with different OS's) all had the same issue, the bandwidth for the network was to high for me. It is a slider in one of the tabs...I really can't remember 2.x versions, but it is called 'Network' in v1.23 (the one I am using now) and you can sort of scoot it down and see if it works. Once you get it to where you walk, try scooting it up a bit until it works still. This will mean you are getting as quick download as you can get and still walk. It might mean more grey over a longer period of time though. Sometimes it is easy to just stand there, but if you can't even walk at all...well, that is another issue.

Second issue is your hardware. This is in depth and a little more than GPU's, but you GPU will be a HUGE influence. Some bios have a AGP apature setting, or maybe similar. It is a MB based setting. If it is at like, say 8MB you are going to have more issues than at 256MB> BUT, this usually doesn't cause freezing. So I can't think of a setting you can change other than to get a new GPU, if your systems mother board has a system bus that will work for SL alright. If it has a AGP card slot, DDR ram then you might be fine. If it is older, I mean...like sub 1ghz or Pentium III....well, then you might want to try linux as I the system req's are lower. But I mean, that is just my experience. I have NOT run SL on a Pentium III though, only P4's! It runs fine enough maxing out a P4 with a older 333mhz bus, IF you drop settings and have a quick enough AGP or PCIe based GPU system or card. Oh wow, problems with paragraphs here....hhhhm.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.