Is it wrong to enter a group to obtain a free item and then exit the group immediately?

Macy Verlaine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Really I do not think that you have to feel guilty. Group gifts are there to encourage you to join the group! If the merchant is fortunate, you will stay subscribed and see some marketing messages later. If a merchant wants to reward past customers, sales records can identify those people better than a group can.

I see you added "and leave immediately" to your question, but that would not change my feeling. If you trash the gift or it stays unused in your inventory, it is as good as if you never received it. If you like it and use it, that store is now in your mind as a future place to shop: mission accomplished. If you wear or rez it, and someone else sees it, they might inspect it or ask you about it, and go take a look at that shop: mission accomplished again.

I agree with Cerise, some merchants have a charge to join their groups and then reward members with lots of freebies or reduced prices on products, that way people are less likely to join just for the gifts.

If you find ones that are free to join, the owners must be aware that people will do exactly what you are suggesting and so you have no need to feel guilty.

I love joining groups to try out their stuff. If I really like what I received, I'll stay. Unfortunately, there are a limited amount of group slots in my Second Life, so I have to be picky. Even if I can't always stay as a member, I will often landmark the place and return often to buy things I like.

BTW, love your badge.  :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.