Marketplace March 3, 2011 Release Notes

Brooke Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Here is a quick overview of the Marketplace search changes released this morning.

Shoppers can now choose from 3 (soon to be 4) search options when searching on the Marketplace. The chosen search option is used to filter all content visible on the Marketplace, including Featured Listings and Ads.

Here are the search options (and the actual/planned release date):

• General (March 8 release)
  • General, Moderate (March 8 release)
  • General, Moderate, Adult (March 8 release)
  • Adult (Planned for March 10 release)

Once this value is set on the Marketplace, it persists until it is changed--even across browsers and computers. This means that if you choose to view Adult content, you will see Adult content the next time you log on, no matter where you log on.

Please see the Knowledge Base for more information on how this works.

Brooke

How are we going to be able to tell what words we use or NOT use so that our listings don't automatically get listed as an adult item?  Certain words that are in the filters should not be there.  Just becaue someone uses the word "stripper" doesn't necessarily mean that the item is an adult item etc.  Is it to much to ask to get a list of words that LL considers "adult" without spending hours or days fixing our listings after every update?

After the update today I seemed to be missing 2 out of 12 items. I re-listed them without making any actual changes and they showed up in "my store" again. I didn't check whether they showed up when searching for adult items when they were missing though (none of them actually contains adult content by the way).

I did not receive any message telling me that or why they were possibly put into another rating - and the rating was not actually changed in the listings' properties anyway. Is this just some flaw? If not, the merchant should be notified about the exact reason for changes to the listings.

The exact same thing has just happened to me Ochi. I was actually editing 3 listings, and when I checked my store to see the changes, only the 3 listings I was updating appeared and the rest of them are vanished. But a couple hours earlier all my listings were fine!

Edit: I have just checked, my cushions, carpets, clocks, etc were turned into adul. How come that an unscripted plain cuchion is adult content?

Argus: I think it is more like the original rating label wasn't updating when I fist made the pages for each item. As soon as I open the edit page, and click update, my products re-apear as general content. If the reason were I was using wrong keywords (which I can't think what they could be) they would continue classified as adult, and wouldn't turn again into the general section.

I forgot to say "It's great to see the change!!!" Which I also think, but the tears for my products suddenly vanishing blurred my judgment.

Doreese Dufaux wrote:

How are we going to be able to tell what words we use or NOT use so that our listings don't automatically get listed as an adult item?  Certain words that are in the filters should not be there.  Just becaue someone uses the word "stripper" doesn't necessarily mean that the item is an adult item etc.  Is it to much to ask to get a list of words that LL considers "adult" without spending hours or days fixing our listings after every update?

You don't know what words not to use, it's trial and error and if you try and help out a fellow merchant here or on the Jira by telling them the problem word you're likely to have your post pulled or edited.

As some of you (12%) experienced this morning, not all item listings were appearing in search results before we declared the Marketplace update complete. Thank you to all who let us know that there was a problem. We found and fixed the issue within 3 ½ hours after the deployment.

Our goal is to avoid failures such as this one in the future. We have already identified several process changes which will help us prevent similar failures.

Thanks for your patience!

Brooke

Do you think that each time you guys change your minds (how many times in the last month?) it affects our sales. First default was general, then general and moderate, now back to general again. Brooke, go take a look at my sales this morning in comparison to that of yesterday and all days prior. Each time you make a change like this my (and probably everyone elses) die. When is your next change? When is your next change after that? Why in the world would you want to make the default starting out option as general for people who are age verified. I am age verified and my tab was set to general until i changed it. For the time it takes everyone to change that button do you care that my sales on marketplace died totally? Do you care that for a week or 2 or 3 my sales will be dead and i rely on this money now for my rl income? Probably not, you probably are just rolling your eyes at yet another angry resident. I have an idea why dont you change things back next week, then change it back the week after, why do anything different from how you have been. All i do as a merchant in SL is sit and wait to see how my sales will be based on the changes you decided to make on any given week, i ride the LL decision wave each week and cross my fingers my sales will last a little longer till your next change that affects the economy, sigh

Brooke Linden wrote:

As some of you (12%) experienced this morning, not all item listings were appearing in search results before we declared the Marketplace update complete. Thank you to all who let us know that there was a problem. We found and fixed the issue within 3 ½ hours after the deployment.

Our goal is to avoid failures such as this one in the future. We have already identified several process changes which will help us prevent similar failures.

Thanks for your patience!

Brooke

I just noticed that search is now "keywords"  am I blind, blonde or both?:smileywink:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

I just noticed that search is now "keywords"  am I blind, blonde or both?:smileywink:

It appears they just labeled the box as "Keywords" .. and labeled the button "Search". However ... I guess that means phrases and quoted search terms are not used as such, instead they are demoted to singular keywords. (Which is how it has operated all the way along anyway....)

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

It was always keywords, but the old version kept it a little secret with no labels.
:)

Ah TY wonder if was changed in some other way too?

The resulting link is the same, a search for spoon always generated search[keywords]=spoon -- but what the server really does with that query is on the LL side that we cannot see.  I have a short summary of the search syntax somewhere, buried behind a new KB redirect, and will fish it out, retest and post later.

OK, I found my notes, and the basic results appear to be the same:

The search on SL Marketplace looks like it is the "standard" one for Spree. There are AND and NOT searches, but there are not OR searches. Search terms can be single keywords or phrases. Exact text search is not available, keyword stemming happens even on phrase searches.

On the Marketplace, keyword searches look on the meta keywords, the product title and description, and the seller name.

eggs bacon and bacon eggs will return the same result, both the keywords "eggs" and "bacon" (or words with matching stems) are present.

"bacon eggs" (with the quotation marks) will return anything with a phrase that is close to that. It will find a "bacon & eggs" plate but not the "eggs & bacon plate", unless the keywords and description have the reversal somewhere else.

bacon NOT eggs will find proud bacon that dares to stand alone.

bacon NOT eggs NOT orbit will find proud bacon and omit baconized weapon technology.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.