Can i use my premium account land to place a my own home on? Or must i choose a prefab linden home?

cheekiemonkie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Short answer: no. You have to take the house that comes with the land.

Long answer: it depends where you live. You have a choice of where to own land in Second Life. You can live in a Linden Home on a Linden-themed continent or you can buy land on a Mainland continent. For more information about land in Second Life, see:

http://deltango.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/a-lesson-about-land-ownership/

You need to have a Premium account in order to buy land on the Mainland, when you own land, you pay a monthly Tier fee for it, depending on the size of the land. However for the first 512sqm there is no Tier fee & that is the land that LL now offers to use so that you can have a Linden home.

The benefit of using the Linden home is that a 512sqm plot only as 117 prims available to use, so normally if you went and bought one yourself you would need to build a house and furnish it all with just 117 prims. With the Linden homes, they have placed the house prims so that they do not count as being on your 512sqm plot, so you get to use all 117 of of your prims just on furniture, so it is probably the best deal you will find for a 512.

If you decide to get your own land elsewhere, you will likely get a bigger plot, so that you have more prims & you will pay a tier fee then for the increased size. Make sure that you abandon your Linden Home when you do that so that your free 512sqm alllowance is offset against your new land.

All the answers given are right and as some extra information:

A Linden home (of 512sqm) is free to own (there is no tier on top of premium monthly) and it costs nothing to buy.  You can own 512sqm of land (again with no tier on top of premium monthly) but you will need to buy this somewhere on mainland and, depending on the area, this could cost anything from around a few hundred Lindens to a few thousand.

A 512sqm mainland parcel of land allows you 117 prims total and that must include the house you build on it.  A Linden home has 117 prims remaining for you to furnish.  The Linden house does not reduce your 117 prims.

The Linden home cannot be changed, you can put up internal walls to re-arrange the layout, but you cannot move/change the structure as it was when you first took ownership.  The Linden homes do have a control panel which allows you to re-texture floors, walls, celings, doors, etc.

If you do want to put up extra walls inside a Linden home, visit the hub for the house type (which you can find in search) for the type of home.  When you visit you can pick up a textures pack which allows you to texture any additional walls to blend with the original walls.

You only have to use the prefab that Linden binds to the land in the Linden Homes program if you opt to move into one of those sims.

But there are many other sims on the Mainland that have plots available of 512 m2 that you can purchase from other residents -- some very low priced, some more high priced, depending on location. Give yourself time to shop and study the market and the surroundings before spending because you cannot get a refund.

If the lot is only 512 m2, you will then have your tier, or maintenance fee covered, as part of your premium subscription.

Another thing you can do is use the 512 to contribute to a group, and get a rental discount or cash-free for tier only -- I have this plan in my rental groups and you will find other Mainland groups with the same option.

Yet another thing you can do is rent or buy on an island, but then your tier of 512 m2 can't be used, and it wouldn't make sense to keep your premium account.

I would encourage you to shop on the Mainland because it's a buyer's market now, you can find very nice deals, and with the premium you get the stipend of $300 a week, plus access to customer service.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.