Are you for real?

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some people use their avatars as a depiction of their RL and SL an extension of real life. They have meetings, eat, drink, exercise and even use the bathroom to simulate RL in every way.

Conversely, some people have avatars that are a complete fantasy. Their avatars could be furries, mythical creatures, a pet dog or cat and others use their avatars as machines or cyborgs.

My avatar is primarily human but I don't use it for RL activities.

Is your avatar a real life portrayal or a fantasy?

Winged Dead Queena.PNG

Roleplay, strictly Roleplay.

As an avid D&D gamer, and currently teaching my kids how to play, I feel that Roleplay only increases the power of ones imagination. My 8 year old daughter has started writing a record of her characters "adventures" and wants to make a novel out of it.

I have always tried to match SL appearance to my RL.

To simulate all one does in RL is going way too far for me, so i never did have a kitchen or a bathroom in SL, and lately not even a bed anymore (for the latter let's just say we do things in SL as a single newb lol, but for romance i consider SL as game over since i'm happy on that front in RL where it should stay). 

All in all i do see SL as an addition to RL. For example, there are sims replicating RL places, art galleries, meeting places, nature parks et cetera. I like those.

When i started to create fashion i went totally off mainstreamin in SL making wearable RL kind of dresses since i hardly could ever find what i liked for my avatar to dress like i do in RL. At the moment i am working on a version of a Prada dress for the summer. Not that i wear that in brand in RL (i just have 1 Dior dress and 1 Prada), but now SL comes in handy to extend my closet :)

I love this place, but some things need to stay in RL for me, and SL comes in very handy for other things.

As usual, nice topics Suspiria, I certainly do not have a bathroom, except bath tubs and the like, no kitchen for sure, not that I use one in RL either haha, so I guess the kitchen thing is the same use SL and RL haha

I forgot to say, that I think it is pretty cool that most things we do in SL are for SL only, like driving and crashing with no consequences, I do like visiting places I have not been yet in RL, dress wise I certainly do no use silver dancer boots and skirts for everyday life, but I have been know for using too many short skirts for work.

I actually visited yesterday the Great wall of china, and i was amazed to see a replica of such wonderful place, that I have never visited in RL

Well, we dont have a toilette, but a bath, bedroom, mini-kitchen, livingroom, a boat in front of the house (SL Sailing sims close) and a dog in the backyard. At present, SL is a way to live together with my wife till we can in RL. 

I enjoy sailing, going to dance, work (have a shop together), even watch a movie together, do things we cant in RL, as exploring, parachuting, diving, sailing, or even go to a restaurant to eat together - with service etc.  

I'm quite happy with my RL appearance, and I just feel "odd" in an Avi that doesn't look like me, so I made my SL appearance as close to my RL as possible. However ...

I fly in SL. I Teleport in SL. I lift massive structures with a single finger in SL. I build amazing floating structures in SL. However ...

I am honest, respectful, goofy and at times very passionate ... just as in RL.

So I guess my answer would have to be ... yes, both.

AVid Venom_001.png

Great question. And it completely brought back a thought I had the other while folding my laundry. Yes! As I stood there folding all my RL clothes I realized how DULL they were. All Blacks, and Gray, and the few colors so deep they were 'almost black'. Then I looked around at all the furnishing and house stuff, and thought, "Holy crap I wanna paint!" And I *always* have the envorinment setting to midday, while IRL, I only wanna see the sun as it's setting, lol.

I guess, overall though, I'm neither. Not 'real me', or 'second me'. I think in SL I am the me I wish I could be IRL. Though in both places I'm quiet and pretty much keep to myself, and very picky about who I associate with on a regular basis. My personal tastes in SL aren't really much like RL, but my personality isn't all that different at all.

I was about to write that my avatar is entirely fictional, but that is not true. If you see an avatar with full lips and a round face, or thin lips and a long, square face, you can be quite certain that the operator behind the avi shares these facial features to some degree. Anything else just wouldn't look right to them.

Like all people, I also find my own facial traits attractive, and will inevitably end up with an avatar face that looks a bit like myself. I use various avatars as models for vendor display photos, and when I put a pair of glasses on one of them a while ago, I was utterly astonished and creeped out by the fact that she looked exactly like my older sister.

My avatar is a human one matching my RL to feel myself comfy, but that is as far as it goes, compared to my RL.
I love the possibilities of this world beyond the RL limits and I love to explore beautiful landscaped sims and the architecture and the art created here in sl.
For the last 2 years I even didn't  have a house anymore, because i hardly ever used the houses i had before. I only had landscaped gardens with animals and pets and beaches with seashores.
My friends here are important to me though because i like to know the real people behind the avi's. With some friends i also have contact in other networks like forums, facebook or even a messenger, but i always kept my romances and partnerships here restricted to SL only.

Ishtara wrote:

If you see an avatar with full lips and a round face, or thin lips and a long, square face, you can be quite certain that the operator behind the avi shares these facial features to some degree.

How true...some people must be famous using a long square face. :smileywink:

Sports-Illustrated-Swimsuit-2011.JPG

XiuLan Quan wrote:

Great and refreshing topic Sassy!

My avatar exudes my personality and I suppose looks somewhat like my younger self (with the exception of the little bit of Asian characteristics I imbue her with).

*Edited for vulgarity*

<3

~X~

Thanks, anonymous negative abusers can never outshine the power of positivity. *Edited out harassment*

cheers.gif

My avatar is very much an extension of me, but wrapped in a fantasy package (much cheaper dry cleaning bills in SL). 

My avatar's personality and preferences are my own and similar or the same in RL.  We're both fashion obsessed and have our own style, without a care for what is newly released or trending.

aphotic_3.jpg

However, I am not a fox in RL, and I couldn't afford the extensive wardrobe my avatar has -- but there are definite similarities.  My avatar is, in some ways, what I would be if there were no limitations -- hence the beauty of SL.

BlakOpal_Nantes_05.png

I even have the same fashion crisis in both SL and RL.  Beach/poolside attire?  HELP!!!!  CRISIS!

CruiseShip_003.png

Fashion and appearance aside, my interests in SL are reflective of RL:  art, medicine, Victorian, creation, expression of imagination, metaphysics etc.  I sound and feel so boring! 

But I've been fortunate in RL to have a very fulfilling existence, much experience etc.  SL simply feels ramped up for me -- it's me, just a fantastic expression because these things are difficult in RL.

And I really shouldn't write responses before I've had a chance to wake up!

Clonefighter wrote:

Im pretty new, so I havent really developed a look for my avatar yet, though currently, its not me at all.

Clone!  Welcome to Charlie Foxtrot ... umm, I mean the new forums!   :)

As you can see,  a lot of picking an avatar is deciding what you want to been seen as.  Even if you pick a straight up human you still have to choose size, style, ethnicity or even gender.  And then there are people like Torley that refuse to choose!

If you need help, ideas, being pointed in the right direction or even just want to know if something is possible, feel free to ask.

Actually, please ask.  We love to help.  And it can keep you following a money pit that some roleplay resources can be.

((Wow ... you can submit a completely blank post ... funny that))

So back on topic.

Rhonda is a mix of who I was, who I am and who I want to be.  She is more me than I am.

I cook in RL.  It is something I enjoy and it keeps me from having to do the dishes :)  But in SL I have never owned a kitchen or done any form of food RP.  I don't think my RL hobbies and pursuits transfer over very well.  There are some exceptions but those are abilities that enhance the RL activities and not replace them.  And then there are some of the RL concerns that we follow in SL which are more a part of a daily ritual than anything.

We have a bed in our apartment and I love to end the day in PJ's and snuggling down for the night.  This is a small ritual showing affection much like a kiss before leaving for work in the morning or simply making a point to say "I love you" every day.  So bed time is an example of a RL activity that has followed us over.

Elric Anatine wrote:

However, I am not a fox in RL, and I couldn't afford the extensive wardrobe my avatar has -- but there are definite similarities.  My avatar is, in some ways, what I would be if there were no limitations -- hence the beauty of SL.

BlakOpal_Nantes_05.png

Fashion and appearance aside, my interests in SL are reflective of RL:  art, medicine, Victorian, creation, expression of imagination, metaphysics etc. 
I sound and feel so boring!

But I've been fortunate in RL to have a very fulfilling existence, much experience etc.  SL simply feels ramped up for me -- it's me, just a fantastic expression because these things are difficult in RL.

You're not boring at all :smileywink:

More furries, more furries! :smileyhappy:

Oh, I should add that while my avatars are not at all a representation of the "real me", my homes in SL almost always have all the features you would expect in a real home, including kitchens and bathrooms. My current home is a very simple traditional-styled Japanese design. Just three rooms and three 'closets' - but one of those rooms is a 'kitchen', with a sliding panel in the floor covering a charcoal cooking fire, and in the closet in that room there's woks and other Japanese kitchen stuff. No bathroom, though, because in a traditional Edo-period Japanese home, that wasn't a dedicated room function.

My previous home was a much larger and modern-designed mansion. It had a full kitchen, a dining room, a dinette nook, a living room, a 'home office', and a small bathroom on the ground floor, with just a toilet and sink; Upstairs were two bedrooms and two full bathrooms, with shower, tub, sink and toilets. I really didn't use the toilets - that was just to make the room look complete. But I like having my home as realistic as possible. You could eat in the dining room (scripted table), if you wanted to, and my housemate and I sometimes would sit down to a meal together, as we chatted together. It added realism to the role play of sharing a home together.

My avatar is as much like RL me as I could get her, except she wears 1920s clothing and I wear 1930s clothing.

I got annoyed with everyone looking like "sexy" barbie or ken giants.

As soon as you give yourself a realistically scaled avatar it becomes even more obvious how unusual everyone looks.

I never felt the need to look like an idealised me, an animal, some fantasy creature.

Just like I am not very interested in living the dream of being rich, famous, fantastic, etc.

In SL I am a common, workingclass cafe owner in a bad cheap dirty neighbourhood of 1920s Berlin.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

XiuLan Quan wrote:

Great and refreshing topic Sassy!

My avatar exudes my personality and I suppose looks somewhat like my younger self (with the exception of the little bit of Asian characteristics I imbue her with).

Somewhat off topic..I just want to say that I enjoy how tenacious YOU are...I love that you don't let the *sshats get you down.

<3

~X~

Thanks, anonymous negative abusers can never outshine the power of positivity.
Typically negative people try to pull you down to their bottom of the gene pool
because their lives lack anything positive.

cheers.gif

Excuse me?

Are you suggesting that people by virtue of their philosophical outlook are genetically inferior or deficiently developed? Sounds like a precursor to or justification for extermination to me.

Perhaps you should examine your attitude to determine whether it is positive or negative. Methinks you don't like your negative aspects exposed *edited for harassment*

ETA Sp.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.