Limit Number of Threads Started

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm seeing some people start 7-8-10 threads all at once in the top view forum headings and it's really obnoxious and annoying.

This is being done by a small coterie of people to try to keep their old forums mindshare/marketshare on top, in the view, and constantly in your face.

But we're not all friends with this group, nor do we want to be.

There should be a limit on how many threads you can start -- per day, month, whatever. If people had a limit, they might be less inclined to fill up the forums with their own persona but listen to others more.

Isn't it kind of like switching television channels or skipping a section of the newspaper?  No one is forcing you to read those threads and the very top level of the SL forum page lists threads from a selection of the subforums.

If no one  were interested in contributing to a thread it would die quickly.  Threads are at the top of the list because others are posting to them--even you.

ETA:  I have no problem with limiting threads.  If administered fairly (i.e., every resident able to post the same number per whatever interval), fine.  However, the content quality may suffer, too. 

Thinking about this logically...

While it's reasonable to allow a relatively unlimited number of replies, I'd consider a rather strict limit of 2 new threads per 24 hours.  Now, I know that it sounds like a huge tightening of the belt, but bear with me here.... (^_^)

• Help/Tutoria/Insrutcional threas require time to develop.  If someone is pumping out more than 2 tutorials per day, I'd question the depth they've achieved.  That or they copypasta'd the document from somewhere else. (^_^)
  • On the other hand, questions take time to respond to and can be expanded upon within their own thread.  If they're flooding the forum with questions, do we really believe they can manage the 4x flood of responses? (o.O)
  • Spam bots... Heh, 'nuff said. (=_=)
  • Off topic threads are fun, but with the membership roster of this forum and whatever collection of alts, even 2 posts per day is pretty darned liberal. =^-^=

The idea has merit.  Given a key complaint about these forums is the signal:noise ratio... Putting in limitations to mitigate the noise can't be a totally bad thing. (^_^)y

Cato Badger wrote:

Wouldn't such a regime encourage the proliferation of alts (and thus increase confusion) by those who felt they had legitimate reasons to raise issues in multiple threads without any interest in acquiring rank?

Then you could just apply the Red Zone logic to the forums too, hehe.

I'd support throttling of thread creation by account over a sensible period of time. Not sure if a granularity of hours might be required, but I suppose some analysis of spammer behavior could generate a sensible starting point. 

If I were in charge I would allow new forum registrations only to post questions in Answers (with a character limit to make them think carefully about what they really wanted to know) for a month which might not only restrict spamming but would also help improve the quality of the Forums by forcing those who might be interetsed in lurking for long enough to get a feel for the culture.

Cato Badger wrote:

If I were in charge I would allow new forum registrations only to post questions in Answers (with a character limit to make them think carefully about what they really wanted to know) for a month which might not only restrict spamming but would also help improve the quality of the Forums by forcing those who might be interetsed in lurking for long enough to get a feel for the culture.

Ahhh...this is an excellent idea.

@Kylie: It's nice to find someone who appreciates me occasionally! Also, shouldn't discussion of limiting the number of threads be in *this* thread where it is on topic, rather than in that other thread which should be about the number of inworld creations permitted?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.