The skin/shape thread

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We've seemed to miss one of the key elements of our avatar. Our skin. I know for me it was the hardest thing to find. In fact, I decided to learn how to make my own because I wasn't satisfied with any skin on the market.

Getting the perfect match of shape and skin can be one of the most frustrating aspects of SL. For many it's a never ending process. I'm very comfy in my skin and shape and feel it's the best representation of myself I can create.

How do you feel about your skin and shape?

Does it represent who you want to be in SL?

Is it a dream combination or does it reflect your RL appearance?

Yea I know, Christmas, but it's the most skin I could find. :smileyhappy:

Christmas 2010a2.PNG

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

How do you feel about your skin and shape?

Does it represent who you want to be in SL?

Is it a dream combination or does it reflect your RL appearance?

Quite comfortable in both, and don't mind showing the results of all my hard work. I'll stay with what I have until I find something else that better conveys the sense of detail and realism that I relentlessly pursue. The result is an exaggeration of my RL appearance but at the same time very similar to it. It's that exaggeration that I choose to live in SL as, because I can.

Matching skin and shape, and actually getting them to match, is very tough. What I've learned from skinning character models in other games is that the shape is more important to acheiving an intended look than the skin is, and SL is no different which is why I do things the hard way. I mold the intended shape using a blank or completely detail-less skin, so as to not be influenced by the details,  and then find a skin that matches it. Only then do I do any micro-adjustments to the shape. It's easier getting matched results the other way around, starting with the skin first, but it's also the quick way to getting a finished product that looks nothing like you envisioned at the start. I'm stubborn that way, relentless too as I've probably deleted more skin demos from my inventory over the years than most people have total items. Was only a matter of time before a skin maker included what I wanted, and for me to find it.

I change skins every year to six months.  SL creators are constantly coming up with improved skins so I feel some pressure to keep up.  One thing I do to keep my look as consistent as possible - I keep my head shape and body shape the same and I have had the same eyes and shine attachment for two years.  I think if people recognize your eyes, they will recognize you, even if you change your skin.

Another great topic Sassy...and so very positive!  Again...it is refreshing...thank you.

My shape is somewhat the original I started with...I say somewhat because I have tweaked it over time.  As to skin...I demo a lot of skins but am rarely satisfied with how they look on my shape.  I am with Dana...in that, I refuse to mod my shape to suit a skin...either the skin compliments my shape or I pass on it.

I really like my current skin and I do ocassionally switch to one of my older ones.  I continue to demo skins in the hope of finding a truly luminous Asian skin.

Thanks again for the thought provoking, informative and positive thread topic.

<3

~X~

I made the shape I wear myself, and I'm very happy with it.  I've had it for a long time and won't change.  As far as my skin is concerned, I have worn Redgrave skins for for nearly as long as I've had a premium skin.  I find her's to be the best looking, most well done skins out there.  That is my opinion.  I wish I had the knowledge to make skins and clothes...I might try my hand with that if I did.  But in what I've seen, it's complicated as heck!

Here's me:

Marcus2_001.jpg

BTW...how does everybody get these huge photos in their posts and mine have to be tiny like this?

the shape based on RL i made or rather modified myself from the one i landed which took probably a year to perfect it. the skin is from Skinthesis the pale shade just right and it suited me when i decided to upgrade to a proper decent skin from a freebie skin i tried more pale skins than i care to remember most were too tanned for my liking 

Claireschen in Cherry Bikini.jpg

I change looks all the time. I treat my avatars as 3D dolls. Now my Flickr shows 18 images on the first page, and I wear 6 different skins on them. And changed the shape 3 times. It is no way I could make that myself, and all since Feb. 26.

The fun for me is making a new look, I never stay that way. I had some periods where I was wearing the same skin some months. Never as much as a year. The shape is also tweaked constantly.

Well I make shapes for a hobby, when I have time it's a great way to relax, which is why I'm not like a machine churning them out. I like to keep this for a fun time hobby.

Pardon all of the pix. I took so many angles and pix because I was originally going to offer this shape in my shop too. I decided not to since I still wear it. I don't want to be a clone. That's partly the point of making my own.

The pic in the pink dress were taken at the Hangout. The pic in the red dress was taken in a random place. The rest of these pix were originally for the boards in the shop. 

I guess I'm a little embarrassed I took a pic of my own av's butt. Haha. But it's my favorite part of this av. I believe in having a nice rear end.

Clarissa Butt Shape sm.png

This is the same shape with a "Jennifer" skin I forgot who made the skin. It was a one off from a charity thing.

Clarissa Statue Pose Jennifer Skin sm.png

That pose makes the shoulders look bigger than they normally appear to be.

This next one is with an Imabee skin. I love their skins on this shape. They have blond brows, and soft features. Since the face has angular features it softens the look.

Clarissa Shape Imabee Skin face sm.png

This is the Jennifer skin again, and the same shape again.

Clarissa Shape Bikini Jennifer Skin sm.png

The next pic is my avatar seated instead of in a photo studio. Lara Hurley skin.

Clarissa Shape Seated Trans Bk.png

Last pic is the same shape in a free skin from Mother Goose's lucky boards.Clarissa Av Face Trans Bk.pngWhich is your favorite look?

I think that because skin designers are advancing so fast that skins more than a year or two old look a bit dated. Usually around my rez day I start to think about refreshing my look.  This year I went for a whole new skin and tweaked my shape a bit - and bought new hair! 

Here I am.... (drum roll)  Jessika version 2011:

Jess 3-11 Profile.png

• 2 weeks later...

NewMe.png 

My latest attemp at skin/shape chub...still in works, ima lacking motivation since Ser's gone.

The skin is actually me in rl, well the base at least and so is the texture on prims, so i guess it represent me more then ever:)

Talking bout never ending process this seems like one too:P

Ser's back baby!

/me hugs Suspiria

Begin rant :smileymad:

For two years, I have searched for a new skin. I have a classic Gala, which I am unable to improve upon. I'm now getting to the point of giving up and just wearing this Gala for eternity - no matter how outdated it becomes. The only solution, as far as I can see, is a revolution in how our avatars are rendered and the way skins are made. Until then, it's an endless quest.

My main complaints about skins on the market are these:

• the mania for excessive makeup
  • the 'guillotine' collarbone
  • the fuzzy nipples/bellybutton
  • the 'heroin-addict'-vein 'realistic' look
  • butt cleavage from hell

I have no idea what is involved in making a skin. I presume only six people in the world have PHDs in graphic design - and they're employed by Adobe rather than making skins in Second Life. It must be almost impossible to make an SL skin, so I await a technological revolution. Will mesh help?

Regarding makeup - something current creators do have control over - would it be possible for women to design skins because the makeup I see on most skins is some guy's insane fantasy of what he thinks girls like to wear. No woman wears purple metallic spraypaint. Purple metallic spraypaint is for cars. I mean, yeah, sure, do some skins for the Cybergoth scene, but maybe only two or three. The other 200 in the product line should be for normal wear.

End rant :smileywink:

Deltango Vale wrote:

Begin rant :smileymad:

For two years, I have searched for a new skin. I have a classic Gala, which I am unable to improve upon. I'm now getting to the point of giving up and just wearing this Gala for eternity - no matter how outdated it becomes. The only solution, as far as I can see, is a revolution in how our avatars are rendered and the way skins are made. Until then, it's an endless quest.

My main complaints about skins on the market are these:

• the mania for
    excessive
    makeup
  • the 'guillotine' collarbone
  • the fuzzy nipples/bellybutton
  • the 'heroin-addict'-vein 'realistic' look
  • butt cleavage from hell

I have no idea what is involved in making a skin. I presume only six people in the world have PHDs in graphic design - and they're employed by Adobe rather than making skins in Second Life. It must be almost impossible to make an SL skin, so I await a technological revolution. Will mesh help?

Regarding makeup - something current creators do have control over - would it be possible for women to design skins because the makeup I see on most skins is some guy's insane fantasy of what he thinks girls like to wear. No woman wears purple metallic spraypaint. Purple metallic spraypaint is for cars. I mean, yeah, sure, do some skins for the Cybergoth scene, but maybe only two or three. The other 200 in the product line should be for normal wear.

End rant :smileywink:

Well, I think you have some more shopping to do.  There are SO many skin designers out there, making anything and everything, there is something for everyone.  Almost every skin maker makes a "natural" version without purple spray paint. There are old skins, young skins, glam skins, au naturale skin, ethnic skins, fantasy skins - so many options.  Just start exploring and you are likely to find what you want.  Or post a pic of what you are looking for and let others help you find it, there is a wealth of helpful people here who can point you in the right direction. 

@ Jessika

Thanks for the reply. Basically, I'm looking for a pale shade, no freckles, a touch of liner, no shadow, no rouge/blush, classic orange-red lipstick (no smudging), minimal butt-cleavage, natural tone, natural complexion, natural definition. I'm after something simple, classic and elegant, understated, subtle - makeup that doesn't scream makeup - what one would wear shopping as well as at a cocktail party or dinner party. I'd go for the Belleza if it had a softer collarbone and a bit more definition. Suggestions?

There are a couple of places to get you started.

First is my favorite go to, do anything, learn anything place, the mermaid diaries. http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2006/11/build.html  The portion covering skins is in two parts and you will find them towards the bottom of that page.  These are the basics covering what, where and how concerning making a skin.  It is more of technical aspects.

Second, you can get some very well made skins in photoshop format to get you started.  Everything is broken into layers for easy management so it has a lot of the work already done for you.  These are available from Elho Eliot at http://sites.google.com/site/another/resources.  This is more of the creative side.

Rhonda said just about all that I would've. She even had the link to Elohs skin files which I don't seem to have any more, so thanx fer that. I would recommend playing around with those skin files, maybe try adding a layer or making simple adjustments to get a feel for how changes made to skin files translate to the changes you'll see inworld. It can be frustrating and very time consuming, but once you get comfortable with working on the "unwrapped" skin textures it can be a lot of fun.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.