Deploys for week beginning 7th March 2011

Hitomi Tiponi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK- let's get this thing started.  According to the Server Release calendar the rolls are scheduled as follows:

Tuesday 8th March

5am - 11am - Second Life Main Grid Deploy

Wednesday 9th March

8am-9am - Blue Steel RC Deploy

9am-10pm - LeTigre RC Deploy

10pm-11pm - Magnum RC Deploy

So far no-one seems to have any information on these, and even the grid status system is not warning of them so maybe they are not going ahead.

If anyone has more details (especially if you second name is 'Linden'), or suffers from their impact, I suggest we note it here.

In additional news from Brooke Linden Marketplace will be unavailable while having a software update from 8:30am-10:30am on Tuesday as well.

According to the versionnumber on the Releasenote pages in the Wiki the "Server-maint" project from Magnum will be promoted to the main channel on Tuesday.

It would be nice to know which project will be used to replace it on Wednesday.

Greetings, Chriss

So, if Magnum is being promoted to the main channel (in 4 hours time!) we will have:

• SVC-6781: Duplicating old attachments does not copy attachment point/position/rotation info
  • Some people may notice a slight improvement in regions with heavy object creating/deletion.

I seem to remember that someone at the Beta Server Office Hours expressed concerns that objects on Magnum were 'ghosting' when deleted - hopefully that won't happen in the main channel.

Well, here we go...it is SL Residents that are disseminating information again, in the absence of any Linden presence in these fora, or any comment on the blog.  I note that while there is a server version listed in Release Notes for the main grid (in under 2 hours now) - there is nothing on the Whiteboard, Official Blog or Status page.

It is almost as if the people who run this virtual world are scared to actually officially admit to doing anything!

Lil Linden learned very quickly the value of communication with us Customers/residents of SL, how long will it take Oskar to overcome his shyness?

Or then again, Lil soon found greener pastures elsewhere - what does that say for those that remain?

This is disappointing, but hardly surprising news.:womansad:

Going by a conversation I had with Andrew in-world and his later posts to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6570, this week's release for the main channel is last week's Magnum release: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Release_Status_Whiteboard has not yet been updated for this week, with just hours to go until new code lands on main, and a little over a day for the RCs. The per-channel release notes do not appear to have been updated either.  :smileysad:

@Oskar, you can do better than this, I appreciate there's a lot of pressures on you from different directions, but this is vital information which mainland and private estate owners/managers/support staff need, as well as those of us developing/supporting technical products in-world.  Getting the release information out in good time helps the technically minded residents to help you and the other tech Lindens make SL better, and we all benefit! :smileymad:

Thanks Pauline - it does indeed look like it will be Magnum being moved across to the main channel as release 11.03.01.222364.

I am sure that Oskar would have intended to provide details of the deploy - he may be being affected by illness or internet problems for all we know.

@Hitomi

Yes, I see the whiteboard has been updated with this week's rolls (with the exception of Magnum as you point out), but it is now 2.5 hours into the scheduled roll and STILL no Official comment either in the Blog or in the Release thread.

Put bluntly, I expect a great deal more from Linden Lab than this shameful performance. 

The Status page was not updated until 4 minutes before the Main Grid Roll was due to start, and all information elsewhere has arisen subsequently.  Now I know that the meetings to decide on the content of the server software updates don't always take place until Monday afternoon PST, but this dissemination of information must be improved for land managers and owners.

Having an SL resident act as official apologist for their tardiness is simply not acceptable.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted by this comment, Hitomi, I am angry with Oskar and Linden Lab, not you.

@Oskar

Firstly, sorry to hear about your home net...I hope it's fixed soon.  Thanks for making a morning run to get this stuff posted.  We're not just moaning, this info is important to us.

Yes, I am critical of LL's poor communications record, but there are solid signs that things are improving.

Can't LL afford to give you a back-up so that something can be posted if the worst happens?

Fingers crossed that the trend for improvements continues, but as Alexi has posted elsewhere in this forum, TPs seem to getting sticky again.

Oskar Linden wrote:

Thanks for getting this started Hitomi. My home internet connection died last night and I had to make an unplanned 5am trip into the office this morning just so that I could have access to make these posts.

Thought it must be something like that :smileyhappy: - thanks for getting it to us asap.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.