My memory suggests that SLM was based on some open source ecommerce software.    If so what was it?

ChuckBaggett1488303079

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My memory suggests that Second Life Marketplace was based on some open source ecommerce software.

If so what was it?

Is there anywhere to see this revealed, such as in the page source of a marketplace page?

I read earlier that SLM uses Ruby on Rails. That might well be, but RoR is not an ecommerce program, so I don't think that is the answer I'm looking for.

1 answer to this question

Hi, the Marketplace is built on top of Spree Commerce. And yes, Spree in turn is built on top of Rails.

This old Wiki revision explains the platform, but that information was deleted from the new knowledge base.

What is your development platform and language? How did you make the decision to use it?

We are moving from
to
. We used a number of out of the box features of
such as the shopping cart; but of course we heavily customized them for the unique nature of SL Marketplace. The entire commerce team was trained in
and now works in that manner, which is driving the two week sprints that we'll start delivering post release. We chose these platform and development methods for their speed to market, flexibility, scalability, modularity, and extensibility. We did an extensive review of our options and in the end these met our needs most effectively.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.