Suggestion: Marketplace In-World

Canoro Philipp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

why dont we have the Marketplace in-world, in the search window? it could be a tab, next to the Destination Guide.

it shouldn't be difficult to apply, after all the search window is a web browser, so connecting the Marketplace as a page shoudln't be so difficult.

what can be solved and how it can improve earnings:

many software users download the software and forget about the website they download it from, some never come back, so the same thing with Second Life, they download the browser, learn to use it or get someone to help them, and they never come back to the Second Life website again, so they don't know about the the Marketplace, they wouldn't even know about the Destination Guide if it were only on the website, so many places would exist unnoticed or just by a few. same its happening with the products, they go unnoticed because many people don't return to the website, so merchants can reach only to the users that return, not many.

if we would have the Marketplace tab in the search window, it would give a boost in sales to the merchants who sell their items there, imagine that you need a leather jacket soon, you can't leave where you are, you use the search window, type leather jacket, explore the Marketplace and you buy it and get it delivered right there.

it would make search more functional. if you want to find, let's say, a victorian style sim, you dont have to go thru all the advertisement of products about victorian things, product selling would have its own section. if i want to buy i search on the Marketplace, the results in the main window displays an icon if the result is a place or group or person, a product could have its own icon, that way it could be separated as a marketplace item.

Marketplace would reach a larger audience, everyone who uses search.

i'm not saying that all in-world stores should dissapear, its very nice to have them there, some people prefer to walk to the store, look around, admire the building, and thats fine, is something like real life, some people like to go walk to a real life store to buy their things and some people prefer to buy things from a website.

it will provide a great service for newbies, they are confused, they dont know places, so to change their look they would just have to type what they wish and get the items immediatly.

i dont think is going to be a bad idea, we have Classifieds, that is another form of selling.

do you think it would be a good idea having the a Marketplace tab in the search window?

The idea has merit, I prefer shopping in-world, and I do, but search on the marketplace is just more effective if you are doing a large search.  In dealing with quite a few new people using the destination guide, I am having to tell them about the marketplace and redirect them to the website when really they need to be practising in-world in their viewer because V2 still has a learning curve.  I don't use V2 so I forget what is in it now, but if it keeps things a bit more immersive for new people it will hold their attention for longer.

shopping on the Marketplace has the benefits that you dont have to walk around buildings to find the item you saw advertised, and you dont have to deal with lag, also many users use the Marketplace search features such as the categories, price range, prim count and permissions to pinpoint exactly the item they need.

this idea will improve search, the results of places will not get confused with the results of products, refining search even more.

I always look on Marketplace when I need something, and might TP to have a better look if it's available inworld.

The idea of a Marketplace link in the viewer does appeal to me, as a content creator I can definitely see benefit in that.

When I first joined Second Life I often asked people where they got their clothes etc, and if one person wouldn't have mentioned XstreetSL as it was before, I wouldn't have known of its existance.

It's a great idea.

Great idea!! It would make things so much easier for low spec users too, specially if there was a way to easily share a link to what you're seeing on your marketplace window. Say you're chatting with some buddies, and you find a cool item that you want to tell them about, instead of having to paste the URL to the website, you would just press a button in the viewer and the link would be posted in chat. Your buddies would then click on that link and their viewers would show them the marketplace listing :))

Or better yet, click on another avatar's outfit... and get the option to see that outfit on the marketplace. "Find Item in the Marketplace" and purchase it :) Maybe even with a comission for the avatar that was wearing the outfit in the first place.

This is a great idea, I think integrating the Marketplace with the viewer is a goal, or at least there's a very partial implementation (Viewer 2 shows the SHOP button at the bottom of the inventory pane, which pops up a web window to the Marketplace).

But right, it would be fun and a great convenience to search and open up Marketplace object "profile" window, and to be able to send a link to those to people which would pull up a nice little product profile from the Marketplace.

After the direct inventory delivery system is working, I'm imagining that it wouldn't be too hard to also look for a landmark in that products folder in your inventory and also show a See This Item In World link, so that people still have the chance to go to the persons shop. Best of both and a more integrated shopping experience with in and out world.

Kudos if I could :)

yes, having the Marketplace as a tab in the search window could be the start of something great. merchants earnings would duplicate immensely so it will be very worth to invest in having your items on sale in the Marketplace, and we finally would have a mass media to advertise our products.

its a Win-Win-Win situation

Linden Lab wins because every merchant would want to be in the Marketplace. selling spots and advertisement on Marketplace will boost immensely.

Merchants win, because their products are offered to every user, all Second Life could potentially become aware of your product and buy it.

Customers win, some will just discover a great service and start exploring it, they will have the convenience of shopping right there.

Maryanne Solo wrote:

It is a pretty good suggestion!

I am constantly amazed that friends I have known for 2+ years inworld have never even heard of the marketplace. Amazing but true.

I noticed this too for quite some time, so the idea of a Marketplace Tab inworld might be a good idea.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.