The Ladies who Lunch Club

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lillie Woodells wrote:

<snip>

Well Dee, the barn is constantly being BBQ'd as is the tree house.  I'll fire the grill up again tonight maybe. 
I don't think there is anything else going on. 
:)

That sounds great I will be there for a little while but I have to work at 8PM. 50's night if anyone wants to come. :)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa...There is way too much nice going on in this thread.  I think it gave me a cavity and an ice cream headache.  Of course you realize, I have no choice but to troll you now.  

Here we go, prepare yourself...

Diet Coke sucks!

Ok...there ya go...bandage your wounds and let this be a lesson to ya.  

ok, well the title of the club smacks of pretentiousness.  but that may just be my interpretation. 

not sure if that's what you're going for or not...

and not sure if it is roleplaying or not...

if it is roleplaying...then probably need to step it up a notch.

but that would carry across forum and inworld.

and probably already has...based on my own interactions in another thread.

there is also an air of exclusivity possibly....which is a bit uncomfortable to see in a making friends forum.  caught that when I saw someone I like get peed on when diving into another thread.

you might want to be clear on whether it is roleplay or not.

Shocked, pure shock I'm speachless:)

Well not really hugs Ima:)

Ima Rang wrote:

Whoa...There is way too much nice going on in this thread.  I think it gave me a cavity and an ice cream headache.  Of course you realize, I have no choice but to troll you now.  

Diet Coke sucks!

DQ Darwin wrote:

Shocked, pure shock I'm speachless:)

Well not really hugs Ima:)

Ima Rang wrote:

Diet Coke sucks!

Gosh damnit D!  Don't hug me when I'm trolling!  Now you got your clean all over me and diminished my troll powahs!  Now I'm going to have to go to that other thread and troll Maddy just to right my reputation! 

Trouble maker! 

Ima Rang wrote:

Diet Coke sucks!

Miss Ima, I now have no choice but to fill a squirt gun with Diet Coke and chase you around my yard.  *squirt squirt squirt*

Well Mickey there's not much more I can say. Search the group check out it's description it is pretty straight forward and unassuming.  I'm not intent on selling anything or anyone to anything. Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder. No need for further explanation,

Nothing exclusive at all, now to protect club members from those intent on disruption at any cost ( I don't think I need to go into detail), yes you need to be invited but this is something any member can do.

There has been a bit of urine thrown around from all, I see no need to regurgitate it, although I don't like to see people I like get peed on either.

Clarity is like perception and interpretation, one see's what they wish, I guess.

My-Coffee.gif

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

ok, well the title of the club smacks of pretentiousness.  but that may just be my interpretation. 

there is also an air of exclusivity possibly....which is a bit uncomfortable to see in a making friends forum.  caught that when I saw someone I like get peed on when diving into another thread.

Mickey, it is not RP, other than the RP that is inherent in SL (meaning we mostly don't look exactly like our avatars). I suppose the title is pretentious if for no other reason that it reminds you of the kind of ladies who are 'ladies who lunch': vain, self-absorbed, etc. In fact it was just a humorous idea Keli came up with.

As for exclusivity, I do think an invitation is required to join the group; if so then I guess there is some exclusivity. Not much—I'm in it, as is Dresden (who would not be a lady even if he was female)—but maybe some.

Your reference to what happened in another thread probably is due to some history. For whatever reason at least some individuals find this group a terrible blight on the Forums, if not SL in general. I suppose it has to do with the fact we do little except yak with each other and post pictures. Not exactly world-saving stuff. Because of that there have been a number of relatively negative if not outright nasty comments posted not just in this thread but elsewhere.

Most of us (hard look at Dee) are doing our best to ignore all that. We did a rather poor job of that earlier but we're getting better at it.

We have, to the best of my knowledge, never sat down to lunch. We do snack from time to time while we're dancing or stomping grapes.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Mickey, it is not RP, other than the RP that is inherent in SL (meaning we mostly don't look exactly like our avatars). I suppose the title is pretentious if for no other reason that it reminds you of the kind of ladies who are 'ladies who lunch': vain, self-absorbed, etc. In fact it was just a humorous idea Keli came up with.

As for exclusivity, I do think an invitation is required to join the group; if so then I guess there is some exclusivity. Not much—I'm in it, as is Dresden (who would not be a lady even if he was female)—but maybe some.

Your reference to what happened in another thread probably is due to some history. For whatever reason at least some individuals find this group a terrible blight on the Forums, if not SL in general. I suppose it has to do with the fact we do little except yak with each other and post pictures. Not exactly world-saving stuff. Because of that there have been a number of relatively negative if not outright nasty comments posted not just in this thread but elsewhere.

Most
of us (hard look at Dee) are doing our best to ignore all that. We did a rather poor job of that earlier but we're getting better at it.

We have, to the best of my knowledge, never sat down to lunch. We do snack from time to time while we're dancing or stomping grapes.

Nicely put Dil, Hugs btw.   I was going to say the best way to describe us is that we are indescribable.  Also, we are not a club.  We are in a group.  We are bunch of people who became friends through SL and/or the forum and get together on a regular basis for a variety of things.  Gatherings with live music, running through sprinklers, jumping on trampolines, sitting in a barn, having a BBQ, stomping grapes, laying around and chatting.. anything really. 

The best way to see what we're all about is come and visit with us.  You don't have to join the group, you don't have to stick around, but I would suggest that over taking someone else's word for who and what we are. 

We are all individuals with varying backgrounds. 

maybe it's just me.....but it seems confusing.

behavior doesn't seem consistent...which is why I asked about roleplaying.

I mean....either do it up right, or not at all, with a different mantra.....but half-assed is confusing.

maybe that's why you have difficulty with your reputation.

if others find the group a blight....then it's not just my perception.

even as roleplay....it's not a group I would care to join....as I had to deal with ladies who lunch-type daily in past career....and not really into experiencing that in Utopia....if you get my drift.

if it's not roleplay....nor would I be interested in being around behavior that is not only inconsistent, but swings from one end of a spectrum to another within a few hours.  never really understood that.

even if it were none of the above, and it was a consistently friendly and open-minded group of people ....would not want to have the group title on my profile....just don't care for the message.  suppose that's because I've been around similar, and always get the wikipedia 1950's style visual in head.  even the modern version....to me...consists of a bunch of cut-throat business women who would knife you in the back in a heartbeat and steal your client along with your husband.

and again....just pointing out that's why you might be misunderstood at times.

not that it matters...it's your Fun.  I can see where played to the max, that it would be a hoot...but that gets treacherous in forum, if people don't get what you're up to...and you do seem to be presenting it as an "effort" in a public forum.

several ladies (and gents) from your group have been easy to have an exchange with.  several have not...and when one person represents you and your group....sometimes there is an association there...as if that is the preferred conduct of the entire group.

but for most part...I generally go by each individual's exchange.  others may not.

or maybe you could turn the whole image thing around and take that title to promote world peace.

who knows.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

maybe it's just me
.....but it seems confusing.

I mean....either do it up right, or not at all, with a different mantra.....but half-assed is confusing.

even as roleplay....it's not a group I would care to join....as I had to deal with ladies who lunch-type daily in past career....and not really into experiencing that in Utopia....if you get my drift.

if it's not roleplay....nor would I be interested in being around behavior that is not only inconsistent, but swings from one end of a spectrum to another within a few hours.  never really understood that.

even if it were none of the above, and it was a consistently friendly and open-minded group of people ....would not want to have the group title on my profile....just don't care for the message.  suppose that's because I've been around similar, and always get the wikipedia 1950's style visual in head.  even the modern version....to me...consists of a bunch of cut-throat business women who would knife you in the back in a heartbeat and steal your client along with your husband.

not that it matters...it's your Fun.  I can see where played to the max, that it would be a hoot...but that gets treacherous in forum, if people don't get what you're up to...and you do seem to be presenting it as an "effort" in a public forum.

several ladies (and gents) from your group have been easy to have an exchange with.  several have not...and when one person represents you and your group....sometimes there is an association there...as if that is the preferred conduct of the entire group.

but for most part...I generally go by each individual's exchange.  others may not.

or maybe you could turn the whole image thing around and take that title to promote world peace.

who knows.

What exactly is it you would like to know?  I think you might be stuck on one thing which is your perception of the name and what you personally envision when you hear it. 

"We" don't have an image except for that which is perceived by people who dislike some of us individually and who have a desire to stir the pot.   I have no desire to change my image in SL and I certainly hope none of my friends do either. 

Here is a fake old saying:  "Never shoot your arrows into a buffalo that is falling off the cliff" 

Kinda has the same meaning as don't beat a dead horse.   As this same discussion has been done over and over.

I hope that clears up at least my thoughts on it.  As I said, if you would like a clearer picture so that you can see for yourself, I am personally welcoming you to join us at the barn (which is on my home property) this evening.  Just im me inworld and I'll send you a tp.   

Mickey, I of course can't speak for everyone in the group either, but I've always kind of looked on the group title as a play on stereotypes, since in my experience we're really quite the opposite of the image that such a name evokes. We don't take ourselves seriously in the slightest. We just hang out a lot together in-world, and forming a group was the most logical way to communicate our goings on.

Unfortunately the group name has sort of taken on a life of its own here in the forum, with the consequence that anyone who is a member of the group is saddled with a label. That's something I feel bad about, watching the 'us' v. 'them' stuff that's gone on here. I think Dillon has it right, though, that most of the group members are working on getting better at not contributing to that. And I think you have it right to focus your opinions of people based on your individual exchanges with them.

That's kind of the beauty of a forum like this. We can all clash sometimes, but we can also learn a heck of a lot from others when we take the time to communicate, and maybe learn a little about ourselves in the process. I for one am always learning. I'd hate to be a part of any environment where that wasn't possible.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

maybe it's just me.....but it seems confusing.

who knows.

Interesting. 

I thought the name was utilized as sort of a sarcastic poke at a particular someone, but I could be wrong.  It reminds me of the Pink/Red Hat Society.  Ladies who Lunch in my geographical area are ladies who do not work, are independently wealthy by means of old money, and spend time fund raising, lunching and shopping or participating in community outreach programs.  They don't want or need clients.  They already have, but don't necessarily need husbands, theirs, or someone elses.   

Wait...  We have an single individual that represents us?  It seems to me that this group is made of many personality types, differing opinions and a lot of laughter.  The group is a little different at each gathering - some will come others wait until the next gathering.  We live in different time zones and countries.  The great thing is that through SL we have a place we can gather to celebrate those differences and all we have in common just being human beings.  There is good natured teasing, support, dancing, laughing, jokes and the feel of family.  As far as I know, no one has ever been pressured to do anything or behave a certain way.

That being said, there is one, who will remain unnamed, who has threatened to cleanse my soul of sin in the burning pits of hell...  Bring it on!  My sins are safe.

Cinn

Quinn Morani wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Diet Coke sucks!

HERETIC! That's it, I have to unfriend you now, you have left me no choice. This is war. :matte-motes-agape::matte-motes-angry:

Enough with the histrionics.  Now give me your clients, but not your husband, or endure a pixel stabbing!

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Wait...  We have an single individual that represents us?  It seems to me that this group is made of many personality types, differing opinions and a lot of laughter.  The group is a little different at each gathering - some will come others wait until the next gathering.  We live in different time zones and countries.  The great thing is that through SL we have a place we can gather to celebrate those differences and all we have in common just being human beings.  There is good natured teasing, support, dancing, laughing, jokes and the feel of family.  As far as I know, no one has ever been pressured to do anything or behave a certain way.

That being said, there is one, who will remain unnamed, who has threatened to cleanse my soul of sin in the burning pits of hell...  Bring it on!  My sins are safe.

Cinn

/me stands up and applauds!  Beautifully put Cin!  :)  Hugs!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

OK, well the title of the club smacks of pretentiousness.  But that may just be my interpretation. 

Not sure if that's what you're going for or not...

And not sure if it is roleplaying or not...

If it is roleplaying..Then probably need to step it up a notch.

But that would carry across forum and inworld.

And probably already has..Based on my own interactions in another thread.

There is also an air of exclusivity possibly....which is a bit uncomfortable to see in a making friends forum.  caught that when I saw someone I like get peed on when diving into another thread.

Most
of us (hard look at Dee) are doing our best to ignore all that. We did a rather poor job of that earlier but we're getting better at it.

That's interesting Dil, I didn't know that Keli came up with the name.  I always thought the group was formed in response to an attempt by someone to dis one (or more) of us by lumping us together and calling us ladies who lunch.  As if that meant that our opinions were  not to be treated with respect or courtesy.  Rather than allowing him to dismiss us this way, we embraced the concept, formed the group, started hanging out together and had ourselves a good time.  The afore mentioned someone has regretted his action and wishes he never said the words.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.