Sign in to follow this  
starhunter Gall

What in the Gods Names is with all the Teleport Issues. the constant restarts. the seriously bad lag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Merging with the Teen Grid is more a figure of speech than an actual event. All that happened was a 100 or so new residents came to the Maingrid, and I think they brought a few new sims online. Nothing significant that doesn`t happen every other day.

Its more likely that your issues are related to either your computer or the Viewer you are using, as I haven`t seen any reports of SL being particularly worse than its normally bad self.

Try troubleshooting by testing with different viewers and different avatars (if you have an alt).

11 answers to this question

Merging with the Teen Grid is more a figure of speech than an actual event. All that happened was a 100 or so new residents came to the Maingrid, and I think they brought a few new sims online. Nothing significant that doesn`t happen every other day.

Its more likely that your issues are related to either your computer or the Viewer you are using, as I haven`t seen any reports of SL being particularly worse than its normally bad self.

Try troubleshooting by testing with different viewers and different avatars (if you have an alt).

starhunter Gall wrote:

Ok seriously, taking more then a hour to TP from a empty sim to a empty sim, while wearing practicaly nothing is out rageous. What is wrong with the servers that LL is trying to keep secret. could it be that when they tried to merge the teen grid to the main one, who did it had no clue to what in the hell they was even doing ?  I mean since then its been nearly non stop rolling restarts. ....... I pay to play but lately i am not even getting to play with out wasting my limited free time, trying to move around this lag infested game

Howdy, Star.  I haven't had any issues with teleporting in quite some time.  I discovered that resizing scripts in worn items was one of the big teleport preventers, so I made sure that if I was wearing something that had a resize script, I either sized the item to fit and deleted the script, or didn't wear the item at all.  Also, genitals are a culprit.  If you are wearing yours, it needs to be detached as well. 

If you are wearing a lot of scripts and your script time is high, the sim you are trying to teleport to has to have the script time available to run them.  Transferring that script time from the sim you are on to the one you are trying to get to is the issue if the sim doesn't have the script time available.  The transfer can't complete and your teleport will fail. 

This would be MY guess as I wear no scripted items and my teleports haven't failed in a long time.  Well...except once when I tried to TP to a sim that was offline.  :smileyhappy:

• Like 1

There was a change to the graphics, not sure what or how much change but drivers don't just fail as mine did. Updating them was a easy fix.

I did notice a minor drop in Frames per second but with an average in the 60's I can hardly complain.

I have moved several times. In an empty sim I measure the displayed physics every 5 seconds for two minutes. I did this ten times. the average was 32.

Same test in a sim with an owner who met me when I arrived and seemed proactive, 44

Better agent limits need to be set or enforced.

I agree with Peewee. Teleports are absolutely fine for me and my home sim (a linden one) is less laggy that it's been for a long time. My fps has gone up by 10 there and I haven't noticed any more lag than usual elsewhere on the grid. Rolling restarts are a common occurrence for maintenance reasons. In past times SL would close entirely for a few hours every week for maintenance but thankfully LL have ways around this now.

While you say you're having problems wearing practically nothing, does that practically nothing include any attachments such as shoes or hair with colour and.or resizer scripts or scripted weapons for example? Any of these if heavily or badly scripted can cause problems with teleports.

Have a look at this page and try the various suggestions.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_teleporting

If you know where your Fast Timers are, see if you are having a build up or hanging Sleep function.

My Fast Timers are in the advanced menu. Your's may be in the Develop menu

Not sure what that Sleep does but sometimes it just won't let go. Tapping the Esc key sometimes help.

Hi,

I hardly have had any TP problem since a year or so. Perhaps the following may help ( it did for me ).

In preferences -> Setup, never set the Maximum bandwith over 1000 - 1200. 

I don't very much understand why we are allowed to turn it up so high even upto 10,000.  It makes no sense because SL hardly ever uses more than 1000. Very, very very occasionally there is a peak to 1500. To keep it around 1000 is the safest and most stable scenario. Over it may cause tp fails, extra lag et cetera. 

Torley does warn about it also on one of his tutorials.

Dunno if this helps, i though i'dd post it for your info.

@Linda Brynner - There seem to be quite a few dissenting viewpoints on what the optimal maximum bandwidth setting is. In fact, Torley's latest recommendation is to "crank that baby!" (set it to 10000). See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/QUICKTIP-Get-less-lag-in-seconds-by-increasing-your-Maximum/ba-p/670217

The comment thread in the above blog post further confuses things and references a pretty good article by Joel Foner at http://joelfoner.com/2010/03/understanding-the-maximum-bandwidth-option-in-the-second-life-viewer/ in which he recommends determining your download speed and setting maximum bandwidth to that value.

I'm going with Joel's advice for now but I expect the final answer will be something like "your mileage may vary".

I am curious as to how you determined that "SL hardly ever uses more than 1000". Did you perform some bandwidth measurements on your own connection while you had your maximum bandwidth set high and somehow separated out the SL traffic ? How does one go about doing that ?

Sorry, starhunter, I am not answering your question but others have already said what I would say - delete those resize scripts in your shoes and hair if possible. Maybe try increasing the maximum bandwidth setting! :)

"Ok seriously, taking more then a hour to TP from a empty sim to a empty sim, while wearing practically nothing is out rageous. What is wrong with the servers that LL is trying to keep secret. could it be that when they tried to merge the teen grid to the main one, who did it had no clue to what in the hell they was even doing ?  I mean since then its been nearly non stop rolling restarts. ....... I pay to play but lately i am not even getting to play with out wasting my limited free time, trying to move around this lag infested game"

Hi, starhunter! Taking more than an hour to teleport is unheard of and I can't believe you wasted that hour waiting. I think you probably have a bad setup and or connection. I think the people that work at Linen Labs get payed to perform their assigned functions, so I would presume they have a clue as to what they are doing. I suggest investing some of your free time into improving your system's performance capabilities and or your connection speeds. This important investment will save you hours of frustration and enhance your Second Life experience.

For reference while watching my bandwidth meter I am finding most frequently 1200 to be a load bearing number where 256-mid 500's just spinning around in welcome areas. This also assumes that I have my graphics up all the way with almost every high end graphic option enabled in Kirstens Viewer 21 r5. I keep my max bandwidth at 5000 and keep my cache at 1024.   

While this may not give you a direct answer it gives you an example of what I use to help you fine tune your viewer.

I know about resizers, I delete them from every thing that comes with them when possable. Non of my shoes/Boots have any resize scripts or even invisable prims left on them (ones that modable anyway) . As for my hair, its always been manually edited, as for every one else, i did adjust my band width and even double checked cache and cleared it.

as for my system. its up todate and fully capable of running SL and many other high performance software (not at same time, except for Photoshop)

Thank you all for the tips and help.

YW, I would definately try getting a nooby avatar if you don`t have one already & testing if you experience the same problems with that one. Aside from not wearing HUDS or anything significantly scripted they also have no inventory, so they are as basic as you can get for testing stuff to compare with.

So if you do experience the same problems with a noob avvie, you can eliminate your avatar as being the cause of your issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.