When will the SL Cashier be available to older, non-US residents?

Magnus Brody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In December of last year, LL changed how newly joining non-US residents bought Lindens.  They replaced the blue/white credit card screen and the take me to set up PayPal screen with the SecondLife Cashier.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/w/index.php?title=Linden_Lab_Official:Local_Payments_FAQ&diff=prev&oldid=1065892

The lab stated that existing (Non-US) residents would continue to use the old system, but PayPal became unusable and it is not possible to choose it as a payment method anymore.  This leaves long term, non-US residents with a choice of using one expensive credit card or another - both expensive because the credit card companies charge a fee and make profit from the exchange rate too.  On average buying lindens to the value of US$50, actually costs nearer US$60.

The new Secondlife Cashier is better for some non-US residents because it allows us to be billed in local currency and to use our bank cards, without fee.  However this system is still not available to longer term residents and neither is PayPal.

The Lab states on the Local Payments FAQ page:

"Warning: Initially, the new payment system will be available only to new Residents outside the US, and to those who do not have existing payment information on file. Soon, the system will available to existing Residents outside the US who already have payment information on file."

That was in December last year, it's 3 months later, so how soon will the system be available to "existing Residents"?

6 answers to this question

What about trying to generated L$ Inworld? I realize that it's not a solution for every SL budget.

If you happens to make, draw, write, sort, build, design, script, animate, create, organize, dj, conduct, manage, direct, host, or texture anything, maybe you could sell it.    

The changes for us non-US residents were not all good changes (such as no longer being able to use Paypal) but anyone that already had certain things in place could continue to use them, the changes would only affect you if you tried to change or update your payment info.

As you quoted in your question, residents with no payment info on file will come under the new rules, so if you would actually prefer that, just delete your payment info. But having said that, if you currently use one that is no longer acceptable, you won`t be able to put it back.

• Like 1

Thanks, PeeWee, but I've tried that several times with no success. If I delete my payment information, then I'm returned to the old choice of payment methods - the expensive credit card or PayPal.  The system will ignore any attempt to use PayPal.

Does anyone know when the lab intend to carry out what they stated, "Initially, the new payment system will be available only to new Residents outside the US, and to those who do not have existing payment information on file. Soon, the system will available to existing Residents outside the US who already have payment information on file." ?

Thanks, Knowl, but it's not really something I want to do. I come into SL for fun after work, not to do some more :)

I really just want to know why the new system (the SL Cashier) is available to new residents (outside US) joining today, but yet still, it is not available to longer-term residents who are also outside the US?

Magnus Brody wrote:

Thanks, PeeWee, but I've tried that several times with no success. If I delete my payment information, then I'm returned to the old choice of payment methods - the expensive credit card or PayPal.  The system will ignore any attempt to use PayPal.

Does anyone know when the lab intend to carry out what they stated, "Initially, the new payment system will be available only to new Residents outside the US, and to those who do not have existing payment information on file. Soon, the system will available to existing Residents outside the US who already have payment information on file." ?

Hmm...Thats a bit mean if its still logging that you used to have payment info on file....They do keep trying to find more and more ways to annoy us Eurpoeans it seems lol

You don`t mention which country you are in, is it one that has a toll-free billing number? If so I would try calling that & seeing if you get a half-decent response. Or If you are Premium, try LiveChat.

Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long-Distance

Our Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Local Toll-Free numbers

* France: 0805.101.490
* Germany: 0800.664.5510
* Japan: 0066.33.132.830
* Portugal: 800.814.450
* Spain: 800.300.560
* UK: 0800.048.4646
* Support is in English Only

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.