Sign in to follow this  
Xebi

Discussion for University Study on MMORPG's

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place. I'm doing my final unversity writing project on Sexual and Social Transgression in Online Gaming: with emphasis on World of Warcraft and Second Life. So I decided to start this thread so that I could ask the people who play the game their opinons.

So the kind of thing i'm interested to know is how prominent cybersex is within the game, whether or not it is actually allowed in game? And what are peoples opinons of this aspect of the game, is it a generally accepted past time or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this.

OMG!!1! Oh hell no! You can't drop the s-word here! Quick, edit that while you still have the chance! The men in black will be here any minute now!

Seriously... there is no right place in this forum to post anything that contains a "mature" word. I've been warned off and threatened with a forum ban for two entirely harmless posts about standup comedy in SL that happened to contain the s-word. Anything that starts with "trans" is probably also a big no-no :P Transgressions? Bloody deviants! We can't have that kind of thing here.

To answer your question though, pretty much everything that is not illegal is allowed in the adult areas of SL. And I really mean everything. These forums, however, are a completely different matter. LL have just switched to a new forum platform, and the new moderation is a bit overzealous (and I realize that talking about the moderation process is also in violation of the guidelines). I would love to direct you to a third party SL forum that has a section for adult topics, but that is also forbidden :smileyvery-happy:

Unfortunately this is a g-rated forum so I doubt you can get the answers you desire. Most people post a link to a survey and ask residents to fill it out. Some even pay for resident info.

I am sure that lots of people would be delighted to help you and could offer extensive expressions of experience except that they would be jeopardising their continued existence because this is a PG forum in which adult activities are proscribed.

Cybersex is very prominent within the virtual world. It's is not disallowed. There are limits governed by social and moral codes of what is right or wrong.

I think it's an accepted Activity and not so much a pastime. A person could have sex to pass the time while they wait for their next batch of sex. Variety is the spice of life.

I could share my opinions, I have no idea what everyone elses opinions are.

My opinion, you should have posted this in the Off Topic Forum. Doing so would allow for a relaxed exchange of ideas. 

Yes I realise this now =\ Unfortunately I can't move it or delete it. I guess I shall have to wait for it to be reported and removed.

Knowl Paine wrote:

There are limits governed by RL laws and the RL ToS of what is right or wrong.

Fixed it for you ;)

Xebi wrote:

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place. I'm doing my final unversity writing project on Sexual and Social Transgression in Online Gaming: with emphasis on World of Warcraft and Second Life. So I decided to start this thread so that I could ask the people who play the game their opinons.

So the kind of thing i'm interested to know is how prominent cybersex is within the game, whether or not it is actually allowed in game? And what are peoples opinons of this aspect of the game, is it a generally accepted past time or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this.

One problem. Second Life is not an RPG. When I am inworld I act as me, not as some character in a themed game. Which is another issue. Second Life has no overall theme, though it does have areas for themed role play. And it isn't a game. A game has an end point and victory conditions, which Second Life does not have.

Henry Darkthief wrote:

One problem. Second Life is not an RPG.

There are countless adult RP communities within Second Life though, which is probably what the OP had in mind. People who engage in these kind of relations in SL always play a role, even if they act entirely like themselves. I mean, they're not actually... erm... wink wink, nudge nudge, and all that when they get busy. Just like you aren't really flying, teleporting, or walking across a lawn when you play SL.

Ishtara wrote:

Henry Darkthief wrote:

One problem. Second Life is not an RPG.

There are countless adult RP communities within Second Life though, which is probably what the OP had in mind. People who engage in these kind of relations in SL always play a role, even if they act entirely like themselves. I mean, they're not actually... erm... wink wink, nudge nudge, and all that when they get busy. Just like you aren't really flying, teleporting, or walking across a lawn when you play SL.

I know :smileyhappy: In fact, as I wrote that a paraphrasing of Shakespeare came to mind, "Life is but a stage and we are all nothing more than actors upon it, playing our roles". Something like that. Its a fine line between whether our avatars are us or only cartooned wish-fulfillment. For me, I consider my avatar to be like my RL body, nothing more than a vehicle for my Self. :manvery-happy:

(PS: The smileys suck)

Oops. It should have been "SL ToS", not "RL ToS". I wish there was such a thing as the latter. (I would probably have refused to click the Accept button if I had known what was coming).

Henry Darkthief wrote:

I know :smileyhappy: In fact, as I wrote that a paraphrasing of Shakespeare came to mind, "Life is but a stage and we are all nothing more than actors upon it, playing our roles". Something like that. Its a fine line between whether our avatars are us or only cartooned wish-fulfillment. For me, I consider my avatar to be like my RL body, nothing more than a vehicle for my Self. :manvery-happy:

So you're really a cat with a lime peel on his head? :smileysurprised: (Just kidding :P)

If you want to set up an email address, a generic one, perhaps people can send you their thoughts?  I'd share it in my groups if that will help, or a survey link of course.

Sure, if anyone has any thoughts they want to share with me then they can email me at xebidiss@hotmail.co.uk :)

Ishtara wrote:

Henry Darkthief wrote:

So you're really a cat with a lime peel on his head? :smileysurprised: (Just kidding
:P
)

:smileyvery-happy:

Actually, I've been away the last 8 months or so and haven't changed my pic. I'll likely change it soon. I chose that one back before the Emerald fiasco, with all the battles between pro-V2 & pro-Emerald users.

Hmmmm ..... on the other hand, being a crazy cat certainly fits *laughs*

Oh, and jsut to add, its a melon, not a lime peel :smileytongue: Hmmmm .... melon head??

Shouldn't a paper like this have a survey to solicit answers to specific questions? Otherwise, assuming we could even respond to this (but oh noes, won't somebody think of the children?), you're just going to get replies like, "It goes on quite a bit and is generally accepted." I'd hate to have to BS (is that OK?) that into a full-length term paper.

First ... on the "is-it-a-game" category I want to state that SL is not a MMORGP. 

You can use SL to play games but SL is not itself a game.  It is a phone.  It is a communication tool.  Nothing more. Games are more robust and defined than SL.  They are above and apart from SL.   SL  lacks the fundamental concepts of a game.  You can agree with other people to add these concepts in for yourselves and follow rules that are not part of the platform if you wish but then you can do the same with your telephone.  Old rotary phones even.  Pick it up and play a game with your friend by describing your actions, your moves or your reactions and you have a game in the same sense as SL.

If you want to know if you can get laid in SL,  just ask that question.  No need to hide behind a facade of a "University Study on MMORPG's"  Are you asking this same question on the WoW forums?  If you are, I have a hot hot sexy space-goat goddess over there that can ... oh, never mind  :smileyvery-happy:

Actually yes I am posting on World of Warcraft for my discussion, also. My dissertation comprises of three chapters. For the first I am writing about sexual transgression. I was going to look primarily at Second Life because I thought it would be more prominent and accepting that the activity in World of Warcraft, however I have generally found that it is WoW players who are more open to talking about this kind of stuff than Second Life allows. I am also going to be comparing it to Michel Foucault's idea of the repressed victorian self. In that during this time we spoke of Sex so much that in order to normalise it we had to create so many categories for it, thus causing people to feel as though they had to find new platforms for their experimentation, not feeling like they were allowed to discuss it in public. Hence the rise of the brotheel. Foucault made the prediction that in the future there would be a sexual revolution in which people would be able to step forth and accept all kinds of experimentation. I want to ask whether this has happened in VR.

For my second chapter I am going to be looking at another theorist, Baudrillard, who wrote about the rules that we create for gaming. I want to look at the identity we create for ourselves within the game, whether we are transgressing social norms or whether we are just sad people who have nothing better to do. I also want to look at World of Warcraft and Second Life in comparison of the rules that they set. A lot of theorists have argued that we play games to escape from the constraints of a capitalist society, which I am going to be writing about.

For my third chapter I am going to be looking at the theorist Judith Butler and concentrating on the idea of the gendered body, whether the internet and online gaming is a way of breaking down boundaries on ideas gender.For this I am going to be looking at gender-swapping.

So yes this is an actual study. The questions that I have asked on here are only a small portion of the overall dissertation, however I needed some primary research, which is why I posted on here. 

Oh also if you play World of Warcraft then feel free to post your thoughts on that discussion thread as well: http://wow.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4233314#post4233314

Cheers.

Xebi,

Thanks for the explanation.  We gave you a hard time because we see these college papers.  Most are poorly done with leading questions and regarding topics that have been done to death.  There are inworld groups just for sharing research and help on a wide range of topics.  One of the most common remarks we have is that to do social research you really need to log in and be apart of the SL society.  I hope you at least give it a try.  You see, in world we are not restricted to what can be said like we are here.  In world on Adult land we are all adults and can discuss adult topics.

We gave you hell and you responded with intelligence and class.  You have obviously thought this through and it is not a last minute slap-dash job to get something on paper before the assignment is due in the morning. 

Thanks for the advice with this. I had thought about creating an account and going in game but it would turn my dissertation more into a virtual ethnography, which I wanted to avoid. However in order to get the information I need I think I will have to go in the game and experience it for myself.

Cheers for all the replies everyone. I understand that you are restricted by what you can say but I appreciate it anyway :)