Questions about the booleans retopology maya method

LisaMarie McWinnie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I followed this tutorial on how to convert MD's tris to quads, and after a lot of trial and error , I finally got it (differently from the tutorial, I had to delete the faces on both sides, creating a "cookie cutter" like shape, otherwise the booleans command wouldn't work).

But there are these gaps in the dress that I don't know how to fix. What can I do in earlier steps to avoid this, or is it unavoidable? I noticed the mesh in the tutorial too has gaps, though not nearly as the ones in mine. 

The UV from the flat object is slightly distorced, so its a bit more difficult to match the one from the dress, could that be the reason for the gaps? I tought it could be solved by increasing the cube's subdivisions, but it didn't helped. Some gaps were closed or smaller, but new ones showed up.

gaps.png

I also want to know if its possible to export the remeshed model to Blender, while keeping the new topology and  UV. I tried exporting it, but when I opened in Blender it was in triangles. I'm new to Maya and I would prefer to continue my workflow on Blender.

I'm using Maya 2014 and Blender 2.73. Thanks in advance!

I have a YouTube tutorials using Maya on how to convert Marvelous Designer mesh into quads you might want to try.

I don't use the cookie cutter method.  With my method if you are careful and use the same number of spans the seams usually match up quite nicely with only needing a little bit of tweaking.

Instead of using a cookie cutter approach to make the quads in my video I use curves and lofts.  I have refined my technique since making the videos and now use Birail more often than lofts now to create the flat quads.  Birail can be found under the Surface menu just a bit lower than Loft in the same menu.  I should make another video on how to handle scoop necklines and such.

Part 2:

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Cathy! I just watched the first part and I'll try it out as soon as I can. My model is more complex but the idea is the same, so I hope I'll do it just fine.

Also, do you know how to export it properly to Blender? It would be great to export the final mesh into it, specially if I could keep the UV.

Thanks again :)

In my second video I show how to easily make the UVs just like they are in Marvelous Designer so no need for Blender. :)

I am sorry I don't know Blender so other than exporting your mesh as an OBJ I am not quite sure what to tell you.

You could try exporting it as a DAE or FBX and importing it into Blender that way as well.  Just be sure to check the exporter options for each and see if there is a triangulate option you can turn on or off.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.