Ways To Make Friends In SL

DQ Darwin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, so now you’re in SL. You explore the grid, you’re either amazed at what you find or you depart.

If you decide to stay you discover rapidly that the grid is large with many facets of entertainment and things to do if you know how to find them (you probably don’t know how as yet). So here are some tips for new folks to use as a way to make new friends through common interests.

If people posting here would add any tips they can think of it would be appreciated.

TIPS

Do not be shy, SL is very social and community based platform, ask people around you for assistance you will find the majority are friendly and very helpful. Many people have made bonding friendships that started with just a question

Learn how to use the search function on the viewer under the events category to find things that of course will have people with like interest to you.

Speak up if you see something you like for example skins, clothing, hair on someone, ask where you can get it, most will oblige with answers or LM’s.

Realize that every avatar around you has gone through what you are now facing and most of them have asked the same questions that you have in your mind so they understand.

Forums are another great tool that can be used to find people that share your interest and as a result can become friends. There are two examples that give insight to how this can work and it is rather easy to see how things can snowball to great events and the making of great friends. Both were shining examples of how people can meet. One needed only participate;

1.  New Forum Remembering Hippiestock Old Forum Hippiestock
  2.  New Forum Strenghening the SL Community (Revisited) Old Forum Strengthening The SL Community

I find that the way to make friends in SL is to have common interests and attend events together inworld and visit each others parcels in world and share shopping, decorating, etc. tips or some common interest (pets).

Attempting to reinforce friendships in one's posse through various "friend" labelled threads in the high-visibility "Make Friends" slot in fact likely makes more enemies than it makes friends.

I disagree. That may work for you but not for me. I am more careful about who I befriend and it is on the basis of a comparable ability to process conversation and the exchange of ideas as textually presented language, as I am not very interested in the visual aspects of SL. 'Chacun a son gout' as they say somewhere where they don't say 'Each to their own'.

Funny. I just met somebody who shared a lot in common with me not too long ago but defriended me by surprise.

And the last time I asked a question I got a patronizing answer, so I just try to look things up by myself now.

However, it is possible to hang around in dance clubs and find people to talk to there. That's how I meet people at least; they usually gather in places like these. But I wouldn't see anything through rose-colored glasses.

I can understand that it might not work for others, I would have hoped that at least one be a starter.

As far as selecting friends, one would have thought that individuals are wise enough to apply their respective standards to the process. I didn't think I needed to add that.

:)

Cato Badger wrote:

I disagree. That may work for you but not for me. I am more careful about who I befriend and it is on the basis of a comparable ability to process conversation and the exchange of ideas as textually presented language, as I am not very interested in the visual aspects of SL. 'Chacun a son gout' as they say somewhere where they don't say 'Each to their own'.

Well thats too strikes, errr, I hope that hasn't stopped you. Anything worthwhile requires perserverance, good luck.

Oh your correct about "rose colour glasses" if we block our vision in that way we could miss a lot.

:)

Rikisabu Norwood wrote:

Funny. I just met somebody who shared a lot in common with me not too long ago but defriended me by surprise.

And the last time I asked a question I got a patronizing answer, so I just try to look things up by myself now.

However,
it is possible to hang around in dance clubs and find people to talk to there.
That's how I meet people at least; they usually gather in places like these. But I wouldn't see anything through rose-colored glasses.

Edit for spelling 

Not everyone is in SL for the same reason as you, and those reasons often change.

Some people are in SL for the social aspect, others strictly for RP, and others simply wish to play with prims.  Therefore, despite having many interests in common, or a few in world common associations, your reasons for being and perspectives may not foster a solid relationship.

Understanding, if possible, WHY someone else is in SL (in addition to yourself), will greatly assist with the type of friendship (or not) forged.

So true :)

Elric Anatine wrote:

Not everyone is in SL for the same reason as you, and those reasons often change.

Some people are in SL for the social aspect, others strictly for RP, and others simply wish to play with prims.  Therefore, despite having many interests in common, or a few in world common associations, your reasons for being and perspectives may not foster a solid relationship.

Understanding, if possible, WHY someone else is in SL (in addition to yourself), will greatly assist with the type of friendship (or not) forged.

DQ Darwin wrote:

Hi, so now you’re in SL. You explore the grid, you’re either amazed at what you find or you depart.

If you decide to stay you discover rapidly that the grid is large with many facets of entertainment and things to do if you know how to find them (you probably don’t know how as yet). So here are some tips for new folks to use as a way to make new friends through common interests.

If people posting here would add any tips they can think of it would be appreciated.

TIPS

Do not be shy
, SL is very social and community based platform, ask people around you for assistance you will find the majority are friendly and very helpful. Many people have made bonding friendships that started with just a question

Learn
how to use the search function on the viewer under the events category to find things that of course will have people with like interest to you.

Speak up
if you see something you like for example skins, clothing, hair on someone, ask where you can get it, most will oblige with answers or LM’s.

Realize
that every avatar around you has gone through what you are now facing and most of them have asked the same questions that you have in your mind so they understand.

Forums
are another great tool that can be used to find people that share your interest and as a result can become friends. There are two examples that give insight to how this can work and it is rather easy to see how things can snowball to great events and the making of great friends. Both were shining examples of how people can meet. One needed only participate;

1.  New Forum 
     Old Forum
  2.  New Forum
     Old Forum

QFT

DQ Darwin wrote:

TIPS

Do not be shy
, SL is very social and community based platform, ask people around you for assistance you will find the majority are friendly and very helpful. Many people have made bonding friendships that started with just a question

Learn
how to use the search function on the viewer under the events category to find things that of course will have people with like interest to you.

Speak up
if you see something you like for example skins, clothing, hair on someone, ask where you can get it, most will oblige with answers or LM’s.

Realize
that every avatar around you has gone through what you are now facing and most of them have asked the same questions that you have in your mind so they understand.

Forums
are another great tool that can be used to find people that share your interest and as a result can become friends. There are two examples that give insight to how this can work and it is rather easy to see how things can snowball to great events and the making of great friends. Both were shining examples of how people can meet. One needed only participate;

1.  New Forum 
     Old Forum
  2.  New Forum
     Old Forum

Hi Dee!  Great thread and great tips!  Yes the forums can be so amazing, and powerful!  For example.  I started the thread in the Old Forum "Hippiestock" (It was called "A Forum Dwellers Party" back then), and stated that I wanted to throw a party for the Forum dwellers.  Look what happened to that!  It turned out to be one of the biggest parties in SL, and brought many people together from around the world!  For a while we all set aside our differences, and stopped snarling at each other, and just had a great time!  There is great power in the written word!  Yes!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.