need a new laptop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The hard truth is that to have reasonably good graphics,  you need a laptop with a dedicated graphics  Chip such as Nvidia TI550 M  or 650m  or 750M  etc, Note that i did not say graphics card....because laptops typically dont have graphics card.

Most will come with only  non- dedicated graphic memory  called "integrated graphics"  included in the  main cpu processor  or on the motherboard. 

Having a dedicated memory graphics chip is what is needed for good SL performance.  A Nvidia TI 550 is about the minium performance level required for SL  and would allow "high" graphics settings.

BUt  ....laptops with Nvidia chips are inherently more expensive than a similarly equipped  desktop....:(

If you can find a  lap top with  the newest Intel "Haswell " chip set   intel I3 or I5 cpu   BUT newest "Haswell" type...it   has a more powerful  graphics processor built into the CPU  itself.....this would be the cheapest way to go  in a laptop.  you could use Medium graphics SL setting.

I know this is not what you want to hear....but this is   reality.

Darleen

• 3 weeks later...

I can answer this for you, since I just got a new laptop this weekend, and I am in love with it.

Here is a link to the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-572G-51DR-15-6-Inch-Platinum/dp/B00R45UFUY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0839PZY5DCK3HM3RD6CD

It has:

• Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (2.2 GHz)
  • 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
  • 500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
  • 15.6-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce 840M

The i5 Processor is the new Gen 5 processor just released last month.  

The graphics card is great.  It has both intigrated graphics AND a 2gb dedicated Nvidia 840m.  You simply chose which programs you want to run with intigrated, or with dedicated.  

I am runnin SL on High graphics, and getting between 35-50 fps at ground level at my home.   up to 80fps in the sky at my home.   Between 18-25fps at a fully packed club or sim.  I tested this on 4 sims the most was at the Shabby fair there were 60 people on sim.   I rez fast.  And no lag whatsoever. 

This PC is 599.99 USD from Amazon.com

You will not find a better deal on a laptop with these specs, and this performance for this price.  Trust me, I researched this for about 1 month before I purchased, and i am nothing but blown away by the performance.

I hope this helps you, and others.   Good luck to you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.