Sign in to follow this  
nordicjohn

Is there any way to increase the number of groups allowed? My total = 42 - too few.

Question

No. We have only had 42 for about three years.  Until then, the limit was 25.  The more groups people are allowed to have, the more group chat the servers have to handle and the more chat lag there is for everyone, so Linden Lab is not likely to increase groups again.  Personally, I can't understand why anyone ever needs 42.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

No. We have only had 42 for about three years.  Until then, the limit was 25.  The more groups people are allowed to have, the more group chat the servers have to handle and the more chat lag there is for everyone, so Linden Lab is not likely to increase groups again.  Personally, I can't understand why anyone ever needs 42.

• Like 1

John,

I'm afraid 42 groups is the absolute upper limit.

At one time we all lived with less groups. LL undertook a project to up this number to 42 groups which seemed like a massive about at the time :P It's funny how we outgrow any arbitrary limit these days.

I don't expect to see another group limit increase anytime soon.

It seems that groups as implemented at this current date are rather complexly intertwined in the schema of the SL database design.

The many functions they are called to support are some of the most troublesome features of SL in general.

o The Group Chat feature which has a nightmarish tendency to under perform and selectively not function from time to time.

o Land Security Permissions for group members.

o in-world Notice posting and SL Event Calendar Event posting.

o Mainland Parcel tier management and dividend/expense management.

o Private Region Parcel tier management and dividend/expense management.

o Picks support

o LM reference support.

I can imagine every time LL looks at changing this limit which affects both LL Server [region/communication/session] performance and our own Session experience they must cringe.

Ty Karen Michelle for a fast answer

I see the complexity of the problem. For many of my groups I do not need all features. Many of my groups are for shops where I keep track of offers and sometimes get refunds, like being on the mailing list in RL. For other groups I do appreciate all the features. Is a possibility for the future to have for example 'circles' (= maling list) in addition to groups? Circles would then just have a few features.

Recognizing exactly that problem, many merchants use the Subscribo-Matic system, which runs subscription lists outside the SL group system. You can have as many of those as you like. I'm a little surprised that more merchants don't use that option. It's free for them until they have a lot of subscribers, and even then it's quite reasonably priced.