How to lose friends in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hardly EVER initiate conversations, so I'm sure people think I'm an utter uncaring **bleep**.  I'm just not one to suddenly IM someone for no reason -- even to just say hello.

I have also misread text (tired, dirty glasses, foggy brain etc.) which has caused me to respond foolishly.

But I don't think I've ever lost a friend SL except by not maintaining contact.

Do you find that some of your actions may turn others off?

Yes, all the time!

Do you find that sometimes you just say the wrong things at the wrong time?  

I don't., but others apparently find that I do.

Tell us about your regrets.  

I have too many, it won't fit in this post.

Tell us about the friend that 'got away' because *you* failed to be friend.

Which one of the many?

I had one experience where 80% of what I did and said was not received in the way in which I intended.  I attributed it, first. to cultural differences.  Later, I attributed it to just plain bullying.  Needless to say, this person is no longer on my friends list and I am all the better for it.

No one likes to feel that something they have said is taken the 'wrong' way.  Real friends can work these things out.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Do you find that some of your actions may turn others off?

Yes, all the time!

Do you find that sometimes you just say the wrong things at the wrong time?  

I don't., but others apparently find that I do.

Tell us about your regrets.  

I have too many, it won't fit in this post.

Tell us about the friend that 'got away' because *you* failed to be friend.

Which one of the many?

We all have regrets.

I would be 'proud' to include you as a friend.

Elric Anatine wrote:

I hardly EVER initiate conversations, so I'm sure people think I'm an utter uncaring **bleep**.  I'm just not one to suddenly IM someone for no reason -- even to just say hello.

The same here! I am not very talkative and not very outgoing. I usually don't speak or IM to someone for no specific reason and people might think i'm not caring for them. But i'm just the opposite, i'm very caring and interested in my friends, but i don't want to bother them just for some chitchat.

Anny Broek wrote:

Elric Anatine wrote:

The same here! I am not very talkative and not very outgoing. I usually don't speak or IM to someone for no specific reason and people might think i'm not caring for them. But i'm just the opposite, i'm very caring and interested in my friends, but i don't want to bother them just for some chitchat.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this actually.  Once engaged, I'm usually quite garrulous, but it's getting to that point.  Well met!

And I can't believe that I BLEEPED in the forums.  I used the "B*****D" word, also used to denote an illegitimate child.  Curious.

I have pretty bad social anxiety problems and a considerably poor self image.  Lots of times, when I think someone's starting to like me, I wind up spending a whole day verbally abusing myself in IMs with them.  Part of me is convinced  that I'm protecting them from drama later, so, it's difficult to quit.  I scare a LOT of people away like that.  (._.)

My closest friends are aware of this and know when to tune me out. (>_<)

Hi Storm. Good question. I don't know that I've turned anyone off by failing to be a friend, but I do know that my style isn't for everyone. I'm okay with that.

Funny that you'd ask this, though, because I noticed recently that one of my SL acquaintances is no longer appearing on my friends list inworld. I don't know why and although I'm curious, I don't take it personally so it's probably not something I'll probe.

Elric Anatine wrote:

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this actually.  Once engaged, I'm usually quite garrulous, but it's getting to that point.  Well met!

And I can't believe that I BLEEPED in the forums.  I used the "B*****D" word, also used to denote an illegitimate child.  Curious.

Elric, if it makes you feel any better, I bleeped myself in another thread last night. It's the closest I've ever come to swearing in the forum. :smileysurprised:

Humor can be taken the wrong way on the internet as well as Second Life because a comment may appear rude without a real facial expression or tone of voice to show that it is meant as funny. This can drive people away thinking your a mean spirited person and insulting. I have had things said in jest taken as being rude.

Quinn Morani wrote:

Elric Anatine wrote:

Elric, if it makes you feel any better, I bleeped myself in another thread last night. It's the closest I've ever come to swearing in the forum. :smileysurprised:

And I can't believe the words we were using were all that bad either!  /me laughs.  B*****D is a real word, without cussing connotations.  i.e. "The King's B*****D (bastardo) will never ascend the throne."

Ahhh well.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Do you find that some of your actions may turn others off?  Do you find that sometimes you just say the wrong things at the wrong time?  Tell us about your regrets.  Tell us about the friend that 'got away' because *you* failed to be friend. I'm listening.

I just eat them ..... *meows*

(/me needs a bigger freezer)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.