The Value of Preparation...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On Superbowl Sunday, I had Mom over for dinner. She's a Packer fan, and since they washed out the week before, she had no interest in the game. We kept it on in the background in hopes of catching a funny commercial. No luck, they were all crappy. But we did see McDonald's "Pay With Lovin' " commercial, which struck a chord because we are a "No Public Displays of Affection" family of the first order. We had a giggle fit discussing what we'd do if we were given that challenge.

I don't eat at McDonalds, but Mom loves their vanilla cones and takes every opportunity to get one. Knowing I was unlikely to find myself in a McDonalds, we flipped the situation and acted out various "Call your daughter and tell her you love her" scenarios. When I was a kid, telling Mom or Dad I loved them was an admission of either guilt or selfish want. I'd left a tool out in the rain, or wanted fresh chocolate chip cookies. In our family, "I love you" elicits nothing but foreboding. We had fun imagining Mom in that role.

Today, she and her girlfriends went mall walking and window shopping. At lunchtime they hit the food court and of course Mom made a beeline to McDonalds for dessert, with the rest of the girls in tow. To her great surprise, she was selected to "Pay with Lovin' ".

Clerk: Ma'am, do you have a cellphone?
Mom: Yes, I do.
Clerk: Do you have children?
Mom: Yes, I have a daughter.
Clerk: Call her and tell her you love her.
Mom: I'd be happy to!

Dial, dial... touch the speakerphone icon and hold the phone where everybody can hear it... ring, ring.

Me: Hi Mom! (I love caller ID)
Mom: Hi Maddy, I just called to say I love you.
Me: Someone's holding a gun to your head, aren't they? Do they want a ransom?
Mom: Um.
Me(yelling): You aren't getting a dime out of me you criminals! Two days with her and you'll be begging me to take her back!

Click!

About five minutes later Mom called back.

Me: Hi Mom! Tell me it actually happened!!
Mom: It did, we were at McDonalds!
Me: How'd it go?
Mom: Well, after you hung up on me, I turned to the clerk and got flustered. I forgot all the funny things we said the other night, so all I could think to say was "She's such a bltch".

Thankfully I had nothing in my mouth, I'd have spit it out.

Me: I love it! How did that go over?
Mom: There was a startled look on the clerk's face. Then a man in line started laughing, then a few others joined in and the man clapped! My friends couldn't believe what they heard, and thought it was very funny.
Me: See, I told you acting is fun! You should get up on stage with me at the community theater. You're good!
Mom: I'm too old for that, Maddy. You can get up there and humiliate yourself. I'll just watch.

She's such a bltch.

• Haha 3

Aeth, nobody who knows me, RL or SL, would be suprised by my involvement in the story. The part that's so funny to me is that Mom, though she didn't really play along like we had when lampooning the McDonald's challenge at home, really let loose when the moment required it.

Dad and I were always teasing at each other when I was young. Mom would just roll her eyes. If we did it in public, she'd distance herself from us. In recent years, without Dad to take my teasing, I've turned towards Mom. She's thankfully started shooting back. But in public she's still a model of propriety. So yesterday was a bit of a watershed moment.

The man who laughed and clapped told Mom that our joke reminded him of his own family. I wonder whether McDonald's "Pay with lovin' " campaign isn't going to make a few "winners" uncomfortable. I can imagine Dad's reaction to being told he'd win a free meal if he would only start dancing. He'd drill the cashier a new set of eardrums (with a wink), then pay for the person behind him.

Nobody tells the McMasters how to show their love.

;-).

• 1 year later...

I'm glad it still makes you laugh, Mo. We just celebrated Mom's 88th birthday and she's more fun than ever. I don't know if it's her shrinking prefrontal cortex or spending more time with me that's loosening her tongue, but ether way it's wonderful. We walked to the city park to see the Fourth of July fireworks. Mom's back has really been bothering her, so she took my hand to steady herself, saying "If I go down, you're coming with me."

She's a role model, she is.

How the heck are you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.