Can group members be hidden from other group members?

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can group members' names be hidden from other group members in the group info tab? So, for example, people in the role Private Members* would not appear in the members list for any other group members exept for officers/owners.

I can't seem to find a way if there is. I came across the 'reveal members' checkbox, but it does not seem to have any effect on group members. I guess it only applies to non-group members viewing the group info.

Seems a bit of a potential secuirty issue to me, and a great way to harvest targetted spam lists. I'm actually quite shockedif this is (or seems to be) the case.

*Personally, I don't mind people seeing my Private Member, but that's just me ;)

24 answers to this question

Vulpinus wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation.

I really think that's atrociously poor security on the part of LL. It's akin to an advertising email shot being CC'd, revealing all the recipients to everyone, instead of BCC'd.

I'm surprised it's not been said before... it probably has, but my seaches haven't found it.

Anyway, such is (second) life.

Oh baloney.  Yeah, I just said it.

What's with everyone always wanting everything to be super duper secret society you've got to have the special members only decoder ring in SL?

And thinking that LL has to cater to our every whim and fancy?

Sometimes I think we just need to get over ourselves.

Really, how in tarnation is this atrociously poor security?

• Like 2

I really think that's atrociously poor security on the part of LL. It's akin to an advertising email shot being CC'd, revealing all the recipients to everyone, instead of BCC'd.

I'm surprised it's not been said before... it probably has, but my seaches haven't found it.

Vulpinus wrote:

There are other ways of doing what it sounds like you want - subscriber lists instead of group membership for those only getting information, separate groups for some functions, etc. What would be poor security is having people you don't trust in a group in the first place.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Oh baloney. 

Just seconding this collection of excellent thoughts - groups aren't designed to be advertising vectors. If individual users are using them for this purpose then it's their mistake for mis-using the feature and likely - misunderstanding the environment Second Life matured in.

There are substantially more resource-efficient ways to achieve isolated messaging to customers that skips the group system altogether.

Off-Topic: I also dispute that BCC is a 'more correct' way to send advertising by Email - just as an aside - there's substantially better methods that allow for full isolation between sends and personalised content/analytics per-recipient (e.g. Mail Merge).

It's easy for people to imagine they know something, when really they know nothing.

Wow... just, wow!

Talk about rubbing people up the wrong way. Sorry I pushed your buttons - not!

Bottom line: the way groups are *now* being used makes them a perfect spam-list maker, should anyone want to do that. What's wrong with saying that? Or, should we all just accept what LL feeds us and not make anything other than positive oh-thank-you comments? Just because you (or I) have an opinion does not make it right for everyone else.

No, it's actually not why I asked the question. It was more about personal privacy matters (not even mine) and using a group is essential to the purpose.

So, get off you aggressive high horses folks - you don't impress me. Try to discuss matters with at least a little decorum.

Vulpinus wrote:

Wow... just, wow!

Bottom line: the way groups are *now* being used makes them a perfect spam-list maker, should anyone want to do that. What's wrong with saying that? Or, should we all just accept what LL feeds us and not make anything other than positive oh-thank-you comments? Just because you (or I) have an opinion does not make it right for everyone else.

No, it's actually not why I asked the question. It was more about personal privacy matters (not even mine) and using a group is essential to the purpose.

So, get off you aggressive high horses folks - you don't impress me. Try to discuss matters with at least a little decorum.

Ok, I'm going to put the onus on you.

How exactly does having the names listed make them "perfect spam-list makers?"

If you walk through the steps necesary to convert them into a "spam list," and then spam everyone, you'd find that in fact it would be extremely cludgy to do.  Think it through.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Vulpinus wrote:

Wow... just, wow!

If you walk through the steps necesary to convert them into a "spam list," and then spam everyone, you'd find that in fact it would be extremely cludgy to do.  Think it through.

My thought exactly... which is why I've never, in all my years here, heard of any such thing happening.  It seems rather akin to the outcry against voter fraud in certain political circles... it's simply not the catastrophic issue that needs such a disproportionate fix.

...Dres

• Like 1

Perrie Juran wrote:

Vulpinus wrote:

Wow... just, wow!

And it would certainly be more work then sending out a spam notice in group chat, which you could do whether you knew the names of the group members or not.

Im amazed how people can come in this forum, ask a question, then have a bunch of oppinionated people replying with unhelpful statments and personal attacks. Next time i post a question, ill have to add that stupid, opionionated non answers are welcome. 

tiffaani wrote:

Im amazed how people can come in this forum, ask a question, then have a bunch of oppinionated people replying with unhelpful statments and personal attacks. Next time i post a question, ill have to add that stupid, opionionated non answers are welcome. 

Considering the fact that I was possibly the most vociferous person in this thread I am going to assume that your attack was aimed at me.

So I am going to ask you what exactly was unhelpful in this thread?

I called the situation exactly for what it was.  What exactly was wrong with that?

tiffaani wrote:

I am amazed that LL allows individuals with a literacy level of less than 16 to sign up for SL..

***Call me Pete Antik

Actually sounds to me like someone trying to hide from someone that is a member of the same group.  so is looking for a way to slip away without leaving the group.  Just fess up to them that you want to be left alone sometimes . it is easier lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Seaton said:

Actually sounds to me like someone trying to hide from someone that is a member of the same group.  so is looking for a way to slip away without leaving the group.  Just fess up to them that you want to be left alone sometimes . it is easier lol

Hello Derek and welcome to the Second Life forum. ^_^

Ummm... you may get a bit of criticism here for reviving a long dead thread but generally people here are quite nice so don't let that put you off from posting more in the future.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Derek Seaton said:

ヾ(・◇・)ノθ~♪

NECRO, necro thread
Derek's dragged up a necro thread

ᒄ₍⁽ˆ⁰ˆ⁾₎ᒃ♪♬

Granted it's only 29 months old, but it's still a necro.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

Hello Vulpinos!

It is clear that you have no idea how hard it is for you to mount a group in any trade in SL to later let poachers invade with spamming your list of members by doing them or  stealing them as a bandits they are t. Also, many come in just to disrespect and offend the members that you have spent years (in my case 6 years), building. If you do not care is because you have no productive activity in SL. but to the ones that have and we support the system we want to protect our customers!

should I do it? Yes, I think I will!

If you don't want them seeing you in the group, leave the group. If it is your group simply set it to not show group members, meaning no one sees anyone in the group or ask the group founder to do so. But if they open group chat, they will still be able to see you there when you're online. So no cant really hide other than just leaving the group and staring another and banning them from joining the group. No hiding in the group to try and spy on them. :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.