Changes to Our Posting Habits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that we're all getting used to this new Community Platform, one old habit from Jive days has outlived its usefulness ... that is the habit of Replying without quoting the original message/post.

In Jive, it was possible to click the little up arrow to reference the post that inspired the reply. When the reply was oblique and made no sense, you could at least go find the original message/post and get a sense of what the reply meant.

But with Lithium there is no such method to "link back" to the prior message/post, so many times a reply that *might* make sense is ignored ... or receives the wrong interpretation. (And yes, I know Torley has shown how to change to Threaded view. But have you LOOKED at that? *insert nauseous emoticon here*)

So please, when replying to a message/post, make sure to use the Quote button then edit the quoted text to JUST the part you are replying to. At the very least it will get your reply a much better reception and may spare you some time spent defending yourself.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

So please, when replying to a message/post, make sure to use the Quote button then edit the quoted text to JUST the part you are replying to. At the very least it will get your reply a much better reception and may spare you some time spent defending yourself.

Yup - very well put Darrius - a good piece of advice as we begin lives lived in Lithium (or is that 'on' Lithium?).

Kudos :smileyhappy:

Very well put, Darrius. Here's hoping the Lindens will pick this up and adjust this to improve thread-readibility.

Perhaps you are willing to repeat this in this thread ? In this thread also the first collaboration efforts were noticed by me when communicating to the Lindens in this new form. Please don't assume this to be belittling of me, I only found out they do listen ( at least they did with several items like adjusting smiley-height upto creating a new forum-section by request).

I'm not sure but as the outsider here I notice responding to threads by Lindens inside threads isn't as commonplace as in threads created by themselves. Maybe there's even a directive to not unneccesarily approach those.

My 2 cents 2 u.

Thank you for doing so .. is after all beneficial to us all. :)

I do realise Lexie Linden specifically asked us to post threads ourselves as well, but in this initial stage i think it would only confuse staff if many several threads would sprout about numerous feedback topics.

The essence of Lithium and the new approach is to substantiate for all parties involved.

If Lindenlab staff adjusts these readibility issues I think discussion will benefit for the very reason of clarity you mentioned earlier.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

...(And yes, I know Torley has shown how to change to Threaded view. But have you LOOKED at that? *insert nauseous emoticon here*)

:smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I have looked at that threaded view, Darrius and changed promptly back to the normal view.  I agree that quoting what you are responding to is very important now.  I'll be sure to do that from now on.  In fact, I've been trying to since the new forums started.

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I have looked at that threaded view, Darrius and changed promptly back to the normal view.  I agree that quoting what you are responding to is very important now.  I'll be sure to do that from now on.  In fact, I've been trying to since the new forums started.

It does take a bit of getting used to, doesn't it? I keep deleting too much then having to use Undo (Ctrl+Z on a PC) to start over. Thank heavens they implemented Undo, or I'd be ripping even more hair out by now. :manmad:

:: would also like to see linkbacks::

and I've noticed another missing thing.... links to specific posts....

oh you can hack around it by bookmarking one then going to your settings and copying the link location, if you're observant enough you can write one from the mouseover information in the reply  or options links (or the forum view "recent" link"), but it is a bit of a pain.

what I DO like is the "float this XXX to the top".... I have my 4 major forums floated to the top, and I can effectively sticky any thread I feel like in a forum for quick reference (although this does nothing to help newbies, it helps me link to them so I can tell the newbies where to go)

[pro-tip: if you don't want the item at the top of all of your floats to be the top float, un-floating and re-floating it moves it one space down the list of floated items, and you don't have to refresh to repeat the actions]

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Good idea Darrius :smileywink:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Ooohhh .. more toys. Thank you Void. See? I knew there was a reason I only pissed you off a little bit. ;^)

must have been a really tiny bit.... cause I don't remember it (either that or my mind is going, so we'll pretend it's that other thing, yeah?) :smileyvery-happy:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Changing old post habits would be leaving the old forums for dead instead of bringing all the drama to the new format.

Wait ... what?? There's Drama in the Forums? Noooooo ... say it ain't so! :mansurprised:

• 7 years later...
On 3/5/2011 at 10:07 PM, Darrius Gothly said:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Changing old post habits would be leaving the old forums for dead instead of bringing all the drama to the new format.

Wait ... what?? There's Drama in the Forums? Noooooo ... say it ain't so! :mansurprised:

We must change our posting habits. I find it ironic that this thread is actually relevant even years later.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.