Password Scam

UsherChick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Editing the post since I didn't actually ask the question that is begged.  Is supplying Driver's Licenses in order to reset a password a normal practice in SL? Or this could be a possible scam that should be reported? So far, it seems to be considered a normal practice. 

I attempted to reset my password on my account. I was asked to name names of 3 people I had never heard of.

This was the only security queston offered. A case was created and a support rep from Linden Labs sent me an email.

It stated the case number and infomred me if I supplied a copy of my Government Issued ID they would be happy to reset my passord.

I offered to send a copy of my DNA instead.

I have since created a new account. 

5 answers to this question

UsherChick wrote:

I attempted to reset my password on my account. I was asked to name names of 3 people I had never heard of.

Probably they are asking you the name of 3 residents in your Friend's list.

UsherChick wrote:

This was the only security queston offered. A case was created and a support rep from Linden Labs sent me an email.

It stated the case number and infomred me if I supplied a copy of my Government Issued ID they would be happy to reset my passord.

I offered to send a copy of my DNA instead.

I have since created a new account. 

And what is your question? You can send any valid document for verify your identity.

I needed to reset my password on an alt way back when.... but the question asked what my last L$ transaction was and I hadn't made any yet, so I answered L$0.  That was apparenlty incorrect and there was not a correct answer since I had not transactions.  I ended up calling in and they simply asked me to verify my email address.   I gave them the email registered on the account and they sent me a reset link. 

I don't think I would give them drivers license number for a reset.

UsherChick wrote:

Editing the post since I didn't actually ask the question that is begged.  Is supplying Driver's Licenses in order to reset a password a normal practice in SL? Or this could be a possible scam that should be reported? So far, it seems to be considered a normal practice. 

I don't know if it's a normal practice for reset passwords. But if really you are in the Support System, you can attach your Driver's License without problem, it is not scam.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.