Any good novels about virtual worlds?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have read a load of SF stories that feature virtual worlds in the last five years (Yes, I believe there is a competition going on, and I just won the Lazarus Long award) and all of them, even the worst, are much more interesting than what you'll find in SL.

Alec - David Foster Wallace's short stories at the moment

Well, since it's been pulled back from the depths of time, I'll take advantage of it. Somehow I missed it the first time around but reading the posts was fun. Quinn :-). Also Ishtara and some others we don't see any more.

I noticed a couple people had mentioned William Gibson, but not my nominee: "Idoru". It's actually the second in a trilogy but as is the case with all his stuff, works as a standalone just fine. Also like all his stuff it is complex and has multiple plot lines criss-crossing each other. One of the two main threads centers on a young girl (around 14) who is deeply involved in an online virtual world which eventually becomes central to the outcome of the story. Really, really good.

Kelli May wrote:

Posting to a necropost, but aren't all good novels (and many bad ones) about virtual worlds?

Being a solipsist, I'd be bound to agree with you.

(Notice the book pun I worked into my philosophical joke . . .)

Alec -timeless threads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.