Help with disappearing necklaces?

Tate Scribe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Recently, I've noticed that when my av wears a necklace, most or part of the necklace goes missing after a few moments.  Is there any way to prevent this?  I don't think it's related to my rendervolumelode thinger, as that's set to 4.  Thanks in advance for any help.

It does reappear if I right-click it as if to edit, but that gets pretty annoying after awhile.  Is there no solution to this right now?

4 answers to this question

From the Advanced Menu > Show Debug Settings, find RenderMaxNodeSize.  The default value should be 8192, and the higher you go the less likely tiny prims will disappear as your view moves away.  A higher RenderVolumeLODFactor tends to help more with preventing sculpts from appearing as blobs as you cam further away from it.

Sounds like the nano prims on your necklace are derezing due to LOD (Level Of Detail) factor. 

Try this...

1. Show the “Advanced” menu with Ctrl-Alt-D, or Opt-Ctrl-D on a Mac.
2. Select “debug settings” near the bottom.
3. In the blank space, copy and paste the word:
RenderVolumeLODFactor

Default in most viewers is 2.0 change it up to 4.0

The necklace disappears because of changing in the LOD levels when you move your camera farther away. Increasing the RenderVolumeLODfactor keeps these attached things in view longer, as in still visible a further distance away, but won't prevent them from ultimately disappearing once your camera passes a certain distance from your avatar. The reason these objects do not REappear when your camera moves back in closer is specifically because you have increased the RenderVolumeLODfactor. Lower that setting from the 4 you have it set at and these attached objects will again disappear at a closer distance to your avatar, but they'll also REappear when your camera gets closer again... It's a tradeoff. The secret is to find a balance number that's high enough to keep those things from blinking out too close to your avatar, but low enough so when you cam back in they'll reappear. I have mine set at 3.4 on Phoenix viewer, which mostly works for me. Although I do still notice jewelry prims disappearing closer than I'd like to my avatar, they all do reappear when I cam back in closer so I just deal with it. (my personal belief is the issue of them not reappearing at higher volumeLOD levels is due to a faulty re-evaluation in the DynamicLOD routine)

There is also a mouse-wheel camera zoom trick to force them to reappear when one does have the volumeLOD setting too high. Focus the camera on your avatar, then quickly zoom out the camera by zipping the mouse-wheel back quickly, and then right back in to where it was looking at your avatar closely. This has the affect of forcing the Dynamic LOD to re-evalute what objects should be showing, which will make those invisible necklaces and such reappear. The down side to this is it only works as a temporary solution, so when your camera again gets too far away, the objects will again disappear (based on your volumeLOD setting), and when you zoom back in again they may not be visible again.

Another trick that has slightly better results is to set RenderVolumeLODfactor to something very high, like 8 or 10, and once things are all rezzed in, go change RenderDynamicLOD to "false". This has the effect of turning off the automatic switching of detail levels, so things will stay full detail all the time and should not try to switch by themselves. The down side of this method is DynamicLOD also affects all the other LOD debug settings as well.. so things like avatars, trees, and terrain will also stay full detail all the time. This may not be of concern if you have a high power video card, but can cause major render lag if you don't. I'd suggest NOT having dynamicLOD turned off when in a very built up sim, when using a higher draw distance, or in a sim with lots of avatars. This method also can have the nasty side-effect of screwing up screenshots, because some objects/people/trees in the distance may appear grainy, or so out of place against the background because of their clarity and increased detail levels.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.