How much time do you spend on your SL Business?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This was one of the first questions I asked, way back when I was a new merchant.  I found that the answers were really illuminating so I thought it was time to ask again.

When I'm in "maintenance mode" i.e. I need a break from SL, I probably spend a minimum of 7 hours a week on the business most of which goes directly to customer contact.

When I'm on a building jag, I spend 50+ hours a week easily which is a lot for something that isn't suppose to be a full time job. :smileyhappy:

I guess that means that I average out at about 25 hours a week on the business.  No wonder I have trouble getting my RL laundry done!

So what about you?  How much time do you spend on your SL Business?

Interesting question. In SL, I create things for myself. I also happen to sell them. So the time spent on my SL business (if you can call that a business) varies from 5 seconds a week (logging in to pay rent) to full days and sleepless nights in Blender and Photoshop. It depends on my mood and of course on my RL work/school situation. I don't do custom work, unless it is a real life person paying me a reasonable wage.

TatianaDokuchic Varriale wrote:

I'm guessing that (hoping that?) those of us that spend a lot of time building are also getting a lot of enjoyment out of it.  That certainly is the case for me and I assume Monalisa (since she builds for herself). 

How about Pamela & Porky, is this pleasure mixed with business, so to speak?

Good question, and one I try to analyze sometimes. It really doesn't change anything for me that I do this full time now instead of part time, so I imagine it is the same for me as for anyone else who feels compelled to make things AND feels compelled to be compensated for the time spent doing it (and it is clear to me from the loveliness of your things and your professional approach to your business that you are one of those people). 

It's not much different from when I was teaching. I loved it so much, but it was also a lot of hard work and stuff I did not much like doing (even hated having to do), and I was VERY glad that someone was willing to pay me to do what I most wanted to do anyway. 

for me it varies-it can be anywhere from a few hours per week when I don't have events or new releases to over 40 hours per week on top of my rl job. Very little is spent with customer interaction-mostly in creation and building. I can be a bit of a workaholic I've been told..but I love doing this! That said I can easily be a slacker too and fall into a rut..just depends how inspired I am to create :)

and I also have a pile of laundry calling my name.. *sighs*..

TatianaDokuchic Varriale wrote:

How about Pamela & Porky, is this pleasure mixed with business, so to speak?

I would not say I get pleasure from it, given a choice I can think of allot more pleasurable activities I could be doing with my spare time.

But I do get a sense of satisfaction from my achievements and my income. I do look at my in-world time as work though....it is a part time job and sometimes I have to force myself to log on and put in the hours in order to maintain and advance the business.

@Pamela Thanks!  I love your phrase "AND feels compelled to be compensated for the time spent doing it".  I do feel the same way about both about my RL & my SL work.  Seems that the older I get the more precious my time is hence an ever increasing desire for fair compensation.

@Angelina One of the best things about SL is that there is no laundry and you don't have to dust!! :smileywink:

@Porkysometimes I have to force myself to log on and put in the hours in order to maintain and advance the business"   Yep, me too but only for the business side.  The creative & building side that feeds into the business is usually a lot of fun.

Thanks for your answers, folks!

the more time i spend adding items to my inventory while i'm awake, the more money they make for me while i sleep

i spend as much time on this as i like. not more. sometimes less.

but the more time i spend, the more profitable it becomes to spend time, so even my wife has ceased to ridicule me for making imanary rocks and logs

For me there is also a diffence between creating and just running the businesses. In the periods I'm involved very much in creating I tend to spend 40 to 60 hours a week at it. In SL I discovered a new passion, 3D modelling. I learned to find my way around in Blender to make sculpts, and for a while that was very satisfying. But I came to a point where creating sculpties was too limited, I wanted to learn more in 3D design. So last half year I have been investing a lot in education. That was the reason to put my business in a 'low attention mode'. I help my customers, and I communicate a bit with my partners in the business, but that is about all. I think I spend like 3 hours a week in world.

Investing in education is in the first place for my personal developmentm, but in the end the business will profit from it as well. Though I have plans to brothen my horizon with 3D, I still have enough ideas for items for our shop. And I begin to long to having time for it again. First thing I'm going to when I have finished my study is making a nice, new, big, fat sculpt!

Josh Susanto wrote:

so even my wife has ceased to ridicule me for making imanary rocks and logs

LOL This could be me,it,s taken years of ridicule from both wife and sons but that has dried up.

AS for hours .......My RL is business is seasonal,so during the winter I am full on here apart from my long holidays.

These are my last few weeks before I hit the RL express head on for the coming new season, although  I am not looking forward to it. I shall still get a dose here daily though.

Just want to say that my family all were extremely disapproving of me "becoming a computer game addict" -- but boy have they all changed their tunes now. All 100% on board.

The "business" part of the job is in a way kind of fun too, because it is like playing a game -- Lindens are the points earned. This is the first job I have ever had in which if you worked extra hard and did a really good job, ppl wanted to give you more money. I think I like it.

Josh Susanto wrote:

the more time i spend adding items to my inventory while i'm awake, the more money they make for me while i sleep

i spend as much time on this as i like. not more. sometimes less.

but the more time i spend, the more profitable it becomes to spend time, so even my wife has ceased to ridicule me for making imanary rocks and logs

You have to admit that it's really hard for people (family included) to ridicule you when you're making "real" money while you sleep!

The other thing that I find impresses people is the concept of limitless inventory, i.e. once it's made it's made.  It's funny to see their eyes light up when they realize that.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Just want to say that my family all were extremely disapproving of me "becoming a computer game addict" -- but boy have they all changed their tunes now. All 100% on board.

The "business" part of the job is in a way kind of fun too, because it is like playing a game -- Lindens are the points earned. This is the first job I have ever had in which if you worked extra hard and did a really good job, ppl wanted to give you more money. I think I like it.

An acquaintance of mine was writing her PhD thesis on Computer-Human interaction.  I mentioned that I was involved in SL and she replied that she wasn't looking into "computer games".  Sigh.  She did kind of perk up when I mentioned the real money aspect of it.

The input of a perhaps smaller time merchant... :)

The barest minimum amount of time I put in in a week is the time it takes me to update my sales records (so like half an hour). I don't have many customer support issues, not enough to take up any notable amount of time.

I used to make several new items a week but am now generally focusing on seasons and holidays, so I sort of think of that every so often and start working on stuff. As I just build, not create, stuff doesn't tend to be time consuming. I'll get a basic build and then come back to it later to fine tune and finish.

If I created, of course, it'd take a lot longer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.