Eliminating animated images in forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do not enjoy seeing animated gif files in forums, they wear out their welcome in one cycle at most, often less. I do not like having to press escape to stop the animation with each page display.

I use Firefox and the Adblock extension. This lets me not display specific image of my choice, so I'll be blocking animated gif files in badges, avatars, and signatures if they bug me, which most will.  The Opera browser has image blocking built in, I think. I'm not sure how to block images or otherwise stop animated gif files permanently in other browser, but there might well be a way to do so.

People thinking of making an attention getting animated gif file might want to consider that the response they provoke might be annoyance coupled with having the image permanently blocked from view.

I'd be ok with not allowing animated gifs at all, if that's an option Lithium offers, or letting individuals block animated gifs for themselves, if that's can be added to the user settings.

So far I've got two badges blocked and have seen one signature I'll block the next time I see it, and that's in just a few minutes of looking at the forums.

i didn't enjoy seeing them either. so i turned them off years ago and haven't seen any since unless i specifically choose to. and that's not often :D

animated images in forums are a bit myspace-ish. visual eyesore. off-topic/gd sections function in a different way i guess so animated images (in posts) would be a different deal there. but for signatures and avatars or even badges? yikes.

however - they could serve a purpose if they are used the right way, say for tutorials and stuff. to help. other than that they don't belong in a forum where information is exchanged.

ETA: if you're on firefox and don't want those obnoxious animated images - do this: 1) type in about:config in the address bar 2) find image.animation_mode in the list 3) double click the entry and type in none and hit ok 4) \o/

Just because something is being seen doesn't mean it's accomplishing  it's purpose.  Annoying people repeatedly shows up on view counts just as well as pleasing or influencing them in the desired manner does.

Your animated badge here is one the two I've got blocked so far. Your animated badge about viewer 2 in the Jive forum wasn't quite as annoying as the badge you're using here. Seeing that animated viewer 2 signature gif did not improve my opinion of viewer 2 any, of course, but it did cause me to be slightly annoyed in connection with viewer 2 many times.

I suspect that if the ability to make specific animated gif files display the first image but not animate was buillt into browsers that there would be a lot less animation being displayed.  I suspect that if one could turn off the animated gif files but still see the first image here in our settings there would be a lot less animated being seen.

Unfortunately these options aren't available.  The only options are to see the animations repeatedly, press escape after each page display, or not see the image at all, so instead of seeing a static version of the animated gif, you see nothing.

I'm not interested in never seeing any animated gif files anywhere on the internet, so the about:config suggestion isn't something I want.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

Just because something is being seen doesn't mean it's accomplishing  it's purpose.  Annoying people repeatedly shows up on view counts just as well as pleasing or influencing them in the desired manner does.

Your animated badge here is one the two I've got blocked so far. Your animated badge about viewer 2 in the Jive forum wasn't quite as annoying as the badge you're using here. Seeing that animated viewer 2 signature gif did not improve my opinion of viewer 2 any, of course, but it did cause me to be slightly annoyed in connection with viewer 2 many times.

I suspect that if the ability to make specific animated gif files display the first image but not animate was buillt into browsers that there would be a lot less animation being displayed.  I suspect that if one could turn off the animated gif files but still see the first image here in our settings there would be a lot less animated being seen.

Unfortunately these options aren't available.  The only options are to see the animations repeatedly, press escape after each page display, or not see the image at all, so instead of seeing a static version of the animated gif, you see nothing.

I'm not interested in never seeing any animated gif files anywhere on the internet, so the about:config suggestion isn't something I want.

I agree, it would be great to have an option in this forum to switch them off, for now indeed I press escape to stop them. Very annoying.

I have yet to see this used successfully in the forums, neither this version nor the previous one.

That's surprising, considering the number of talented graphic artists in SL.  It is possible to create an appealing effect with animated gifs -- I may have to construct an existence proof -- but somehow all we're getting are crappy 1990's-vintage blinky banner ads.

Kind of embarrassing really.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

setting image animation mode to none still leaves you the option to view the ones you want to see. but, eliminating animated images all together in the forums is indeed the best option, i agree on that.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

I do not enjoy seeing animated gif files in forums, they wear out their welcome in one cycle at most, often less. I do not like having to press escape to stop the animation with each page display.

I use Firefox and the Adblock extension. This lets me not display specific image of my choice, so I'll be blocking animated gif files in badges, avatars, and signatures if they bug me, which most will.  The Opera browser has image blocking built in, I think. I'm not sure how to block images or otherwise stop animated gif files permanently in other browser, but there might well be a way to do so.

People thinking of making an attention getting animated gif file might want to consider that the response they provoke might be annoyance coupled with having the image permanently blocked from view.

I'd be ok with not allowing animated gifs at all, if that's an option Lithium offers, or letting individuals block animated gifs for themselves, if that's can be added to the user settings.

So far I've got two badges blocked and have seen one signature I'll block the next time I see it, and that's in just a few minutes of looking at the forums.

I have to disagree with your call to eliminate animated banners and badges. I do agree that many are annoying, but there have also been quite a few that are quite creative and amusing. Your proposed ban would also eliminate those, which would also eliminate a small enjoyment for me and others.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

I so totaly agree. In general and on the specifics.

bee Baroque wrote:setting image animation mode to none still leaves you the option to view the ones you want to see. but, eliminating animated images all together in the forums is indeed the best option, i agree on that.

Here's info on the image animation mode options for those that might want to uset them.

Using about:config

In Mozilla Suite and Firefox:

1. In the Location Bar type about:config and hit Enter
  2. Type "anim" in the Filter field (to quickly find the needed preference)
  3. Double-click the image.animation_mode line and edit it to one of the following:

none — will prevent image animation once — will let the image animate once normal (default) — will allow it to play over and over
Animating once might not be too bad.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

Just because something is being seen doesn't mean it's accomplishing  it's purpose
.  Annoying people repeatedly shows up on view counts just as well as pleasing or influencing them in the desired manner does.

Here's a little Marketing 101. Marketers don't shoot for your demographic; i.e. hard liner. They shoot for the fence sitters or those people who have yet to make a decision on a product or service. So your statement is incorrect for the majority of the people who happen to be fence sitters.

If it's annoying to you use your options to turn it off. I really couldn't care less either way.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

bee Baroque wrote:setting image animation mode to none still leaves you the option to view the ones you want to see. but, eliminating animated images all together in the forums is indeed the best option, i agree on that.

Here's info on the image animation mode options for those that might want to uset them.

Using

1. In the Location Bar type
    and hit Enter
  3. Double-click the
    image.animation_mode
    line and edit it to one of the following:

none
— will prevent image animation
once
— will let the image animate once
normal
(default) — will allow it to play over and over

ty Chuck, works brilliant *meows*

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

I agree, it would be great to have an option in this forum to switch them off, for now indeed I press escape to stop them. Very annoying.

There really should be an option to turn off animated avatars, or animated GIFs should not be allowed to be used as avatars.

What's ironic about them is that they serve no purpose other than to pull the reader's focus away from whatever the person posted.

I don't enjoy seeing animated badges, tags or signitures either. It's distracting & I imagine it uses unnecessary bandwidth.

I doubt that someone who jumps up & down, saying "look at me", "look how cute & clever I am" is much appreciated in any situation, least of all when others are trying to read a post.

Perhaps it would be useful for the moderators to poll forum users about issues like this, so they can see how many people are truely annoyed, how many like it, & how many are indifferent?

Deltango Vale wrote:

ChuckBaggett wrote:

I do not enjoy seeing animated gif files in forums, they wear out their welcome in one cycle at most

Agree. I find flashing images very annoying. Thankfully, one can at least disable signatures.

Yup, disabling signatures was one of the first things I did, it's also a signal that the system has logged you out, they reappear when you're logged out.

ChuckBaggett wrote:

Using

1. In the Location Bar type
    and hit Enter
  3. Double-click the
    image.animation_mode
    line and edit it to one of the following:

none
— will prevent image animation
once
— will let the image animate once
normal
(default) — will allow it to play over and over

In Internet Explorer - Tools -> Options -> Advance.

Uncheck the box in Multimedia group that says "Play animations in web pages"

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Here's a little Marketing 101. Marketers don't shoot for your demographic; i.e. hard liner. They shoot for the fence sitters or those people who have yet to make a decision on a product or service. So your statement is incorrect for the majority of the people who happen to be fence sitters.

If it's annoying to you use your options to turn it off. I really couldn't care less either way.

And this is why so many people hate salespeople and marketeers - they don't care about other people unless they can make a sale, and they have no sense of propriety or etiquette. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.