Prim Skirts or System Skirts?

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They both have advantages.

For the flow of a long skirt or the poofiness of some shorter designs, nothing beats a set of prims.

But prims don't follow the avatar skeleton. The longer a prim skirt , the less likely it is to look right when not standing.

A mesh skirt can look better than shorts sometimes under a prim skirt (as opposed to shorts)

• Like 1

I mostly wear pants but I prefer prim skirts. The only system skirtsI like to wear are the pencil skirts for that nice 1940s secretary type look. There used to be some freebie short skirts that were made with system skirts. When you sat down, whew! You were suddenly very popular.

They all have their place in SL. I like sculpted prim skirts for photos, not so much for wearing while moving around unless they are on the shorter side because the bell-like swinging movement isn't as noticeable.

System skirts, it's a love/hate thing; they're pretty much the only solution to a pencil skirt but I don't like how they get distorted sooo easily if you're not using the right kind of pose or animation for them. But prims cannot accomplish the slim skirt look the way the system skirt can!

Some of my friends don't like flexi prim skirts but if they're done right, I still love them on those big romantic gowns and RP gowns.

I've never worn system skirts. Yeah, I know you have to adjust your shape to make them work, but I still don't like how they look, and frankly, I think it's bizarre to wear a system skirt with "leg prims" that fake out a proper skirt. I always wear pants with prim skirts. Maybe mesh will bring better options, but I'm just used to the prim skirt approach now and am bound to find anything else odd. Also, I think it's really unfortunate that someone got creative with the system skirt shape ages ago, forcing people to walk around with giant butts and sending newbies into panics.

The only time I'll wear system skirt outfits is if it's some sort of poofy ball gown or formal dress, where the waistline can be hidden. I remember the very first thing I said on the old, old SL forums was to ask WTF about the goofy system skirts. My shape is so non-standard that modifying it to use with system skirts doesn't work for me. I also have the most difficult time making any prim skirts and belts even fit. I'll stick with the few heavily modified or homemade prims skirts I have until the new rigged mesh makes it onto the main grid, whereby I can make my own flowing mesh skirts.

Conifer Dada wrote:

I've stuck with system skirts mostly.  If you use a modified shape with them they look fine.The first two pics use the modified shape, the last one is my normal shape - for comparison - they are all system dresses.

03 Dress - summer - brown.PNG

A well fitting design. Nice work. :smileyhappy:

• 9 years later...

I just noticed the pictures of myself from 9 years ago. I'd completely forgotten about posting those and now I'm a bit embarrassed.😃

My update (2020) is that I only use mesh skirts or dresses now but my avatar is still 'system' and not changed all that much from the old pictures. I do have mesh hair and a rather better skin, but still recognisable I think.  I still wear the same red, green and yellow plastic bracelets which are my lucky charm.

Skirts and Dresses 2020.jpg

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.