Jump to content

Could we remove all the writing over our avatar pictures?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I actually thought it looks quite interesting, posting this first post on the new forums to see what it looks like :smileyhappy:

Maybe I'll change my mind if the letters make me look less pretty on my pic :smileytongue:

 

Edit after posting: my pic is gone!

And my sig is not fitting either anymore, oops, need to work on those..

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, we are kinda using the 'badges' for a purposes that they were not exactly intended! They system is designed that our avatar pics should be the small pic top left (set from My Settings > Avatars) but because we are creative sorts we've adopted 'badges' as larger avatars (set from My Settings > Social Connect). 

I think the ability to add a custom background to the badge is not really intended to be larger avatar pictures, we've just cleverly used it that way. The assumption of this software is that if you don't want all the additional writing you have to turn off the badge, but then you just have the small avatar pic (and still get writing in the white space above and below that).

It would definitely be nice to have a bit more control over the badges though and it was mentioned at yesterday's Community Tools User Group meeting, so they may look into it :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Winter Ventura wrote:

I'd be happy if we just got more premade skins, and one that didn't have any "boxes" overlapping the background.

Did you notice the shift to the right between the preview badge and the actual displayed image? I had to do some corrections for that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Did you notice the shift to the right between the preview badge and the actual displayed image? I had to do some corrections for that.

Yes, one of the badges gave an upward shift too.  I don't understand why the preview doesn't work properly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Suella Ember wrote:

(...)

It would definitely be nice to have a bit more control over the badges though and it was mentioned at yesterday's Community Tools User Group meeting, so they may look into it
:)

I really like the badges and the opportunity they give for a bigger picture. The normal one is way too small to be of much use so it is no wonder that people adopted the bedges to the role of the normal forum picture. And then the writing gets in the way and the process of creating the background becomes a bit confusing. After all it needs a few tries to get the picture ratio right.

So I fully agree for the need of a bit more control over how this shows on the forum.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest it is kind of important to have a place for info - in my opinion. Sure if people want to play with the badge fine - but if there's info to be seen - we need the ability to see it. Surely every thread doesn't have to be a vanity one!

Just my 2p worth. :smileyindifferent:

Link to post
Share on other sites


Suella Ember wrote:

To be fair, we are kinda using the 'badges' for a purposes that they were not exactly intended! They system is designed that our avatar pics should be the small pic top left (set from My Settings > Avatars) but because we are creative sorts we've adopted 'badges' as larger avatars (set from My Settings > Social Connect). 

I think the ability to add a custom background to the badge is not really intended to be larger avatar pictures, we've just cleverly used it that way. The assumption of this software is that if you don't want all the additional writing you have to turn off the badge, but then you just have the small avatar pic (and still get writing in the white space above and below that).

It would definitely be nice to have a bit more control over the badges though and it was mentioned at yesterday's Community Tools User Group meeting, so they may look into it
:)

 

I agree with you Suella, but on the other hand, this is SL...the avatar is the main purpose as to why we are all here.  Yes, on other forums, the regular pic size suffices, but not in SL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

I think it should be practical to only show the "extra" text on mouseover, and will play with that this afternoon.

That sounds like a great compromise - if you can do it please post the link where we can give you Kudos- good work deserves recognition. :smileyhappy:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ossian wrote:

 

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

I think it should be practical to only show the "extra" text on mouseover, and will play with that this afternoon.

OMG - do you mean that some script or stylesheet might take all that stuff away?  YAY!

 

 

And yay it is! If anybody is also using the Blue Goo theme, you can leave that installed. This style works independently and you can have more than one active at a time.

If you are on Firefox or Chrome, install the Stylish add-on. You do not need Greasemonkey for this. For other browsers, see the instructions on the download page for installation possibilities.

Badges Much Room (snake not included) will hide the bowling pins and statistics unless the mouse is hovering over the badge. "Plain" avatars without badges are left alone, since there are no pretties to uncover.

I know that this style leaves the username shifted to the right of the hidden bowling pin, but if I don't do that the badges are chopped off at the bottom.

Adding: Oops, I forgot to re-enable the overlay on hover, will update shortly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Adding:
Oops, I forgot to re-enable the overlay on hover, will update shortly.

OK, now it works the way I meant, sorry about that. Whack the update button if you installed the style already.

Adding: I did leave the topmost piece of the overlay visible, on themes that have one. Ishtara turned it into a little window to peek out of, and that was too cute to break!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be ideal if the badge had one standard size, always the same, if all the info was displayed or not.

This would make it much easier for us to make cool badges and we could turn off all the extra info without losing size of badge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...