Unable to Log In

Mikau Candour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The problem I've been having with Second Life of trying to log in is just that... I can't log in. I'm not sure what the reason of it is, but my other friends have been telling me they can log in just fine.

Whenever I try to log in, it's telling me "Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong." Yet, I'm also puzzled that some of my friends are not having any problems whatsoever. Reading the latest news of rolling restarts of specific sims, it gave me a bit of a clue as to why... even though it's been about two days ago.

So, what's going on, then? Do I need to update my computer, maybe? I did update my graphics card to the latest version, I know that much... Or is it because SL is still experiencing these kinds of problems on their end, as well? Any answers would be happily appreciated!

5 answers to this question

Hello,

From Knowledge Base

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

If you're not sure why you cannot log in, try the following general procedure:

1. Double-check your username and password. If you continue to receive an error, try logging into the Second Life website. If you are unable to log into the website, the problem is likely to be your username or password; follow the "Forgot your login information?" instructions on the website to reset your password.
  2. Change your login location to a different Region. See Changing your login location for more information on how to do this.
  3. Restart your computer, modem, and router. When restarting, make sure to leave them powered off for at least 10 seconds before restarting. This step can often fix routing issues and other connection-related problems.
  4. If you are still unable to login, Premium and Concierge Residents may contact customer support via live chat, support cases (tickets), or by telephone.

:smileywink:HAVE FUN

"Something unexpected has gone wrong" usually indicates that you couldn't make a connection to the server at all.
It happens when you use more than one grid to connect to and the default isn't Second Life. In some viewers the last grid added becomes the default. Also if you use Peerblock and didn't create an exception list for Second Life servers.

First, check http://status.secondlifegrid.net/  to see the current status of Second Life.  Assuming your friends are logging in, it's likely the problem is on your end but you mentioned issues with specific sims.  Have you tried logging into different simulator regions?  For example, trying setting your start region to Ahern, Carnapt, or some other region name you know. To do that, you need to set your viewer preferences to  show the start location on login (Me, Preferences, check 'show on login') and than select "type in region name" from the 'start at' box next to the login information.  

Assuming that doesn't work, it's remotely possible that you've changed your firewall settings and have somehow blocked SL logins - not likely but check your security software.

You may have accidently enabled logging into a different grid besides the main Second Life Grid known as Agni.  If you see a grid name box below the 'start at' box, make sure the name selected is Agni and not some other grid name.

Try to uninstall and reinstall Second Life.  Google 'uninstall reinstall second life' and select the first result which is an old Second Life wiki instruction on how to do it.

All that doesn't work and it's probably an account problem and you will have to submit a support ticket - see:

https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.